Clearing locked character names

Snarky

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

Wait, you're serious?  All the little smileys... I just figured you were joking or trolling.

Then again, here you are just trying the straw man argument a second time while ignoring my answer.   One more time then and I will assume you're a troll if you ignore it a second time: No, I'm not okay as long as it is someone else.   It's okay because the whole point of a name release policy isn't to steal things from people that still want them but to recover abandoned names from people who are never coming back.   Obviously, there's no 100% perfect way to know someone has left for good so you draw a line somewhere reasonable.  And two years is more than reasonable.  Doesn't mean you can't find one or two people who came back after two years.  But that also doesn't make it an unreasonable policy.  It is not too much to ask, if people actually care that much, to freakin' log in ONCE in that much time.

And that's really about all that I can say about it.  It's just not worth having a huge fight over.  It's probably not happening anyway.

Man calm down.  If you actually read what I wrote - and re-posted for you - I totally agree with the two year login thing is reasonable.  However it sucks for anyone who would like to come back to have their stuff all renamed though.  You're saying you're not ok with anyone getting upset, then go on to basically say exactly the opposite because you're deeming the time frame reasonable and "oh well you can log in" so it's ok your stuff got renamed.  So yeah, for the people that may take extended breaks or whatever coming back may suck for them.  People who've abandoned the game to never return is no issue.  

25 minutes ago, arcane said:

Having two options, “get my own” or “take someone else’s”, and even thinking about the latter is, factually, by nature, selfish.

Holding onto something to purposely keep from others, with no intention of utilizing, is also considered selfish.

so which form of selfishness wins?

Edited by Ghost

1 minute ago, Nerio72 said:

I posted no fish.

Considering you have no rebuttal to my point and posted some unrelated comment (I don’t have a character named arcane, do you?), uh, yeah, ya did.

Don’t worry, I’ve already accepted your declining to rebut my point as an admission that I’m right 😉

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Holding onto something to purposely keep from others, with no intention of utilizing, is also considered selfish.

Absolutely. What proof have you provided that a player has no intention of utilizing something though? As I already mentioned, time away from the game does not reliably constitute proof that the player will never play again.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

Considering you have no rebuttal to my point and posted some unrelated comment (I don’t have a character named arcane, do you?), uh, yeah, ya did.

Don’t worry, I’ve already accepted your declining to rebut my point as an admission that I’m right 😉

That's a non sequitur I think. 

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Your point is it's selfish to want a name that someone possibly hasn't used in two years. I don't want names that are in use. I don't want to "take" anything away from anyone.

I did a quick search using your forum name to show how easy it is to claim someone is "taking" something not theirs. Your claim that isn't relevant is factually not true, you just don't understand it.

My initial point was that we don't really need to belittle people that disagrees with us. Please make my point for me again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, arcane said:

Absolutely. What proof have you provided that a player has no intention of utilizing something though? As I already mentioned, time away from the game does not reliably constitute proof that the player will never play again.

Demanding proof in an argument based on opinion is kinda stupid, don’t you think?

there are no facts to support either argument.

In your opinion, what time period (we use time because it would be silly to think people would step up and say “I’m outta here”).  What time period do you believe is acceptable to wait before declaring someone officially gone?

Edited by Ghost

Neither the status of my internet access (and ability to log in) have changed in the last year.  I'm still without the ability to log in and still would with haste once that status changed.  That said out of the alts I created in the 4 or 5 months I could get in game I think the ones I care about had already reached 50 or are pretty damn unlikely to be taken should they be released.  The rest I'm quite capable of renaming ... and merely being back and able to play is what would matter to me most in any case.

Edit:  And now I want the name "Edge Case" for my second Homecoming, since I'm pretty sure that's exactly where my circumstances land me.

Edited by Doomguide2005

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Demanding proof in an argument based on opinion is kinda stupid, don’t you think?

there are no facts to support either argument.

In your opinion, what time period (we use time because it would be silly to think people would step up and say “I’m outta here”).  What time period do you believe is acceptable to wait before declaring someone officially gone?

No time period would be allow you to declare that officially, unless the party in question dies or something. Therefore, you have two options: (1) leave people alone or (2) go ahead and step on some toes.

The option I don’t like is (3) go ahead and step on some toes but gaslight people about it by claiming there’s nothing selfish or potentially harmful to that.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

No time period would be allow you to declare that officially, unless the party in question dies or something. Therefore, you have two options: (1) leave people alone or (2) go ahead and step on some toes.

The option I don’t like is (3) go ahead and step on some toes but gaslight people about it by claiming there’s nothing selfish or potentially harmful to that.

In some states, a vehicle can be legally declared abandoned after 5 days.

A spouse can be legally declared dead after 7 years.

if we use those two numbers as the threshold for this argument, I once again ask you for your opinion? What time period?

please take into account that physical personal property is not being claimed - unlike the two laws I mentioned.

16 minutes ago, Nerio72 said:

My initial point was that we don't really need to belittle people that disagrees with us. Please make my point for me again.

If you think you’re innocent of belittling people in this thread, we aren’t going to be capable of communicating any further, I’m afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

In some states, a vehicle can be legally declared abandoned after 5 days.

A spouse can be legally declared dead after 7 years.

if we use those two numbers as the threshold for this argument, I once again ask you for your opinion? What time period?

please take into account that physical personal property is not being claimed - unlike the two laws I mentioned.

I’m not saying you can’t pick a rule of thumb time period like that. I’m only saying you’re just plain lying if you think you’re going to avoid doing harm with a rule like that. People WILL come back outside of those bounds, and if you create that rule, you WILL seize names of players that aren’t actually gone for good. 

I couldn’t care less what the exact time period you pick is. One year, two years, it won’t change a thing. I prefer the “Never” solution because it is the only “Do No Harm” solution available at this point.

• Thumbs Down 1

I think anyone complaining about "not getting the right name" needs to flex their grey matter some more, modify the initial idea of the character to account for the tweaked name, or just suck it up and go in a completely different direction. I don't make a single character without first planning a background for them, and that background usually includes a first draft of a name. If that name is taken, you can easily modify it with an appropriate "title" like Doctor, Lady, etc. If that's not going to cut it, look for synonyms or "clever" respellings that fit -- you might be surprised in coming up with something better than your first snap name decision. For example, I made a TA/A Defender that I wanted to name "Quiver", but it was taken. A bit of modification to the story and she became QuiVR, a combined video game and player consciousness that was downloaded into a robot body.

Restriction often breeds creativity. Get creative. If that's asking too much then I question how much the character name really matters to you in the end and why you feel like ripping the name off some other hero/villain's registration is justified.

• Thumbs Up 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

I have a naming convention that puts 99% of my character names into stuff no one is remotely interested in. 

There is ONE name i would like. “Snark” on Excelsior.  Never sent a message to who owns it.  I am relatively happy with what i got. Just would love it for an active alt.  (I have “Snarky” on all but one server.)  

This post is really just about wanting some common sense in the world.  It is like looking at a bunch of people trying to move things around a warehouse when half the place is blocked by crates that have mot moved in 70 years.  MOVE THE CRATES.  Then you will have room

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, arcane said:

If you think you’re innocent of belittling people in this thread, we aren’t going to be capable of communicating any further, I’m afraid.

I've been responding to you in the way you've talked to me. In any case I am done responding as I believe I've made my points here.

I think any account that has been inactive should have toon names revoked and put out for the public to use. Again, this is the actual account and not a toon. So, if you play lots but have shelved a low level toon for a bit then that low level toon should be safe. If someone logged on when these servers went 'public' and then left....well, those low level toons should have the names removed.

I agree with the policy that no toon lvl 50 or above can have their name taken - regardless of length of time away from the game.

How long do I mean but inactive? Over a year seems fair. I'd also be open to having toons level 40 and above deemed untouchable for name revocation. 

I’m not saying you can’t pick a rule of thumb time period like that. I’m only saying you’re just plain lying if you think you’re going to avoid doing harm with a rule like that. People WILL come back outside of those bounds, and if you create that rule, you WILL seize names of players that aren’t actually gone for good. 

I couldn’t care less what the exact time period you pick is. One year, two years, it won’t change a thing. I prefer the “Never” solution because it is the only “Do No Harm” solution available at this point.

I understand what you’re saying.

I just don’t agree with a “do no harm/make everyone happy” mentality.

IMO it’s impossible.

Release the names - people who haven’t played are not happy.

Lock the names - people who are playing/want to play are not happy.

How does a person decide whose happiness is more important to the greater good of the community?

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

I understand what you’re saying.

I just don’t agree with a “do no harm/make everyone happy” mentality.

IMO it’s impossible.

Release the names - people who haven’t played are not happy.

Lock the names - people who are playing/want to play are not happy.

How does a person decide whose happiness is more important to the greater good of the community?

Yes, this is the crux of the debate. I just happen to lean far towards the side of something like “current ownership probably trumps the possibility of future ownership as far as rights and stuff are concerned”.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

I think anyone complaining about "not getting the right name" needs to flex their grey matter some more, modify the initial idea of the character to account for the tweaked name, or just suck it up and go in a completely different direction.

Restriction often breeds creativity. Get creative. If that's asking too much then I question how much the character name really matters to you in the end and why you feel like ripping the name off some other hero/villain's registration is justified.

I think this is the misconception of some people

Are there players that are complaining about not getting the right name? Yes

Is that the reason everyone who wants this to happen? No

For me - its not about any name I want.

Names are easy for me.  I dont care if they relate to the power or not.

I want names released to make it easier for newer players , because I want this community to grow.  If one new person tried to log in today, create a toon and is not able to come up with a name because they don't have the creative ability to do so, and then quits out of frustration - that is someone we lost.  For what?  Now we have 2 people not playing.  The one who quit, and the one who hasn't logged in since 2019.

I thought there were time limits?

That aside, what happens if you get diagnosed with cancer? Fight through that for a year and a half, finally get a clean bill of health and return and your name is gone?

Or have a stroke fight through that then have to learn how to use your left side again and now alittle over 2 years have passed and you come back?

It's a slippery slope folks on what is ultimately right in situations like that.

Btw those examples; ppl in our VG saved the names of our friend who passed from cancer and I saved the names of another friend who has had multiple heart attacks. We have since made toons in honor of them and would gladly give them up if they could come back.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

16 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I thought there were time limits?

That aside, what happens if you get diagnosed with cancer? Fight through that for a year and a half, finally get a clean bill of health and return and your name is gone?

Or have a stroke fight through that then have to learn how to use your left side again and now alittle over 2 years have passed and you come back?

It's a slippery slope folks on what is ultimately right in situations like that.

Btw those examples; ppl in our VG saved the names of our friend who passed from cancer and I saved the names of another friend who has had multiple heart attacks. We have since made toons in honor of them and would gladly give them up if they could come back.

That hypothetical is called an outlier and could be hypothetically handled on a case by case basis by the Homecoming team.

Late edit: sorry, meant to add I agree with the slippery slope point you made.

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png