A History of "The Talks" - A consolidation of the HC Team legal discussion

Glacier Peak

7 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

I've yet to see any updates. Not even a whisper since the pandemic really hit full force, so it may be a bit until even that hits normality.

I was going to add the part about last year where Homecoming did a stream of the beta for the Dr. Aeon SF to benefit a charity, but I didn't really have a good angle on it and it wasn't much different than the post I already had about the streaming in general being okay. 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 11 months later
11 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Well folks it's been another year and I unfortunately don't have any new updates to put in the original post. Perhaps things are progressing, but I am not privy to it. Either way, I am happy to still be able to play this game four years later!

Unless we see some sort of obvious coverage for say a new IP or something from them that somehow references CoX, then I don't expect to hear anything. Well, not unless these people who keep making etsy stuff poke the bear That way.

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

26 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Unless we see some sort of obvious coverage for say a new IP or something from them that somehow references CoX, then I don't expect to hear anything. Well, not unless these people who keep making etsy stuff poke the bear That way.

I think you're right, but I went and found all those references a few years ago, so I wanted to keep the thread alive 😆 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I just looked into the crystal ball I stole from the Sea Witches chest.  It's cloudy, but it did show this.  Unless one of us geeks win a few hundred million from the lottery THEN decide to pony up a few million each to the VARIOUS owners of portions of the CoH franchise....we will not be getting squat.

Thank you to the HC Dev team for keeping CoH/V alive as F2P.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is like, sixth-hand info, which I would put on basically the same level as unsubstantiated rumor, but I figured I'd share anyway.

Apparently someone in charge of one of the other servers had a conversation with an NCSoft employee who was not involved in the negotiations, but had knowledge of the subject.  This person allegedly confirmed that the talks did take place but later fell through.  (Presumably due to a lack of interest on the part of NCSoft, although that is my own speculation.)

And no one here can tell us of that outcome because NDA.

7 minutes ago, ranagrande said:

This is like, sixth-hand info, which I would put on basically the same level as unsubstantiated rumor, but I figured I'd share anyway.

Apparently someone in charge of one of the other servers had a conversation with an NCSoft employee who was not involved in the negotiations, but had knowledge of the subject.  This person allegedly confirmed that the talks did take place but later fell through.  (Presumably due to a lack of interest on the part of NCSoft, although that is my own speculation.)

And no one here can tell us of that outcome because NDA.

Yeah, they have an intellectual property with very little value.

But if they give it away and someone finds a gold bar in it then they look like morons.  

Lack of interest = lack of money

Business is not that complicated

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Snarky said:

Yeah, they have an intellectual property with very little value.

But if they give it away and someone finds a gold bar in it then they look like morons.  

Lack of interest = lack of money

Business is not that complicated

They could license the right to operate the game and expand the IP with profit sharing and a right to reclaim if someone were to do really well with it.  Honestly, that's what I've found so insane about NCSoft's actions.  You absolutely could craft a deal that protects their interests and allows them to earn from the IP.  If it weren't for so many other video game IP owners being similarly myopic, I would be surprised.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Psi-bolt said:

They could license the right to operate the game and expand the IP with profit sharing and a right to reclaim if someone were to do really well with it.  Honestly, that's what I've found so insane about NCSoft's actions.  You absolutely could craft a deal that protects their interests and allows them to earn from the IP.  If it weren't for so many other video game IP owners being similarly myopic, I would be surprised.

I have foresworn talking negatively about a certain company.  It is not good for my mental health.

However, there are some corporate cultures that are intractable in how they operate.  It makes sense to them.  

Keep in mind the Titanic sank because it had one of the most experienced North Atlantic Captains in charge.  The man knew from decades of experience no iceberg big enough to threaten the ship was in the lanes.  He did NOT know that a couple months back a strange astronomical event occurred that lined up the earth. the moon, and the sun in such a way as to increase the tides where large icebergs are normally trapped.  THis allowed some big mothers out into the channels that were never there.  

We cannot understand why certain people in charge of things do what they do.  they do it because their training, their corporate culture, and their focus is set a certain way.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Keep in mind the Titanic sank because it had one of the most experienced North Atlantic Captains in charge.  The man knew from decades of experience no iceberg big enough to threaten the ship was in the lanes.  He did NOT know that a couple months back a strange astronomical event occurred that lined up the earth. the moon, and the sun in such a way as to increase the tides where large icebergs are normally trapped.  THis allowed some big mothers out into the channels that were never there. 

I must have downloaded the wrong movie. Mine didn't have most of this, but it did have Kate Winslet naked in one scene, so maybe that should have been my first clue it was fake.

Edited by Oklahoman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I must have downloaded the wrong movie. Mine didn't have most of this, but it did have Kate Winslet was naked, so maybe that should have been my first clue it was fake.

What doomed the Titanic is well known, at least in outline. On a moonless night in the North Atlantic, the liner hit an iceberg and disaster ensued, with 1,500 lives lost.

Hundreds of books, studies and official inquiries have addressed the deeper question of how a ship that was so costly and so well built — a ship declared to be unsinkable — could have ended so terribly. The theories vary widely, placing the blame on everything from inept sailors to flawed rivets.

Now, a century after the liner went down in the early hours of April 15, 1912, two new studies argue that rare states of nature played major roles in the catastrophe.

The first says Earth’s nearness to the Moon and the Sun — a proximity not matched in more than 1,000 years — resulted in record tides that help explain why the Titanic encountered so much ice, including the fatal iceberg.

Recently, a team of researchers from Texas State University-San Marcos and Sky & Telescope magazine found an apparent explanation in the heavens. They published their findings in the magazine’s April issue.

The team discovered that Earth had come unusually close to the Sun and Moon that winter, enhancing their gravitational pulls on the ocean and producing record tides. The rare orbits took place between December 1911 and February 1912 — about two months before the disaster.

The researchers suggest that the high tides refloated masses of icebergs traditionally stuck along the coastlines of Labrador and Newfoundland and sent them adrift into the North Atlantic shipping lanes.

And a second, put forward by a Titanic historian from Britain, contends that the icy waters created ideal conditions for an unusual type of mirage that hid icebergs from lookouts and confused a nearby ship as to the liner’s identity, delaying rescue efforts for hours.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Snarky said:

What doomed the Titanic is well known, at least in outline. On a moonless night in the North Atlantic, the liner hit an iceberg and disaster ensued, with 1,500 lives lost.

Hundreds of books, studies and official inquiries have addressed the deeper question of how a ship that was so costly and so well built — a ship declared to be unsinkable — could have ended so terribly. The theories vary widely, placing the blame on everything from inept sailors to flawed rivets.

Now, a century after the liner went down in the early hours of April 15, 1912, two new studies argue that rare states of nature played major roles in the catastrophe.

The first says Earth’s nearness to the Moon and the Sun — a proximity not matched in more than 1,000 years — resulted in record tides that help explain why the Titanic encountered so much ice, including the fatal iceberg.

Recently, a team of researchers from Texas State University-San Marcos and Sky & Telescope magazine found an apparent explanation in the heavens. They published their findings in the magazine’s April issue.

The team discovered that Earth had come unusually close to the Sun and Moon that winter, enhancing their gravitational pulls on the ocean and producing record tides. The rare orbits took place between December 1911 and February 1912 — about two months before the disaster.

The researchers suggest that the high tides refloated masses of icebergs traditionally stuck along the coastlines of Labrador and Newfoundland and sent them adrift into the North Atlantic shipping lanes.

And a second, put forward by a Titanic historian from Britain, contends that the icy waters created ideal conditions for an unusual type of mirage that hid icebergs from lookouts and confused a nearby ship as to the liner’s identity, delaying rescue efforts for hours.

TL;DR Icarus did it.

In other news, NCSoft won't negotiate because EGO demands it

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 6/2/2023 at 5:10 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

TL;DR Icarus did it.

In other news, NCSoft won't negotiate because EGO demands it

"You exist because we allow it, and you will end when we demand it."

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

On 6/1/2023 at 4:14 PM, Snarky said:

What doomed the Titanic is well known,..

No mention of the inferior steel nor the fire that was burning trapped in the hull?

On 6/1/2023 at 3:41 PM, Psi-bolt said:

It's not just this game.  They've done that with others.  One I dearly loved despite a host of behind the scenes fighting, was Tabula Rasa.  The game had merit, but office politics messed with the game souring a lot of players and at least to a point, kept some significant bugs in play. (I heard those major bugs were resolved after I bowed out.) I'd love to see that IP licensed and revitalized.  And while I found the game only moderately entertaining to my personal tastes, I've heard there are those who played WildStar that want the game returned to some playable form.  There's probably others I've not realized.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Booper locked this topic