Remove all movement penalties from Super Speed

xl8

Eh, I don't know, it's already trivially easy to kite enemies. That somewhat annoying fight with Protean, for instance? Even without SS or SJ, queue attack, run, jump, sail past, animate well out of range, never get hit with his siphon...

Besides, why should that be limited to SS?

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, krj12 said:

Totally agree with this suggestion.   The game never had travel suppression until they implemented pvp.  It's very annoying and should have no place in the game.

Yeah that is inaccurate to say the least as jousting existed long before Issue 4 or PvP being implemented in this game. And there is no mention of PvP on the wiki either: Travel Power Suppression

Edit: Oh yeah, and travel power suppression doesn't exist in PvP zones and is disabled by default in the Arena. 

Suppression

Travel Power Suppression was implemented by the developers to combat a tactic known as jousting, which involves queuing an attack against a distant enemy and then traveling quickly past it. Due to various delays, the attack will not begin until the attacker is well past the target, potentially leaving him out of range of counterattacks.

To reduce jousting, activating most powers (particularly, those that affect hostile targets) triggers Suppression for 4 seconds. While Suppression is in effect, all speed bonuses from Super Speed disappear, as do all jumping speed and height bonuses from Super Jump. A Flying character remains flying, but his flight speed is reduced to approximately the same as Hover's base speed. Enhancements in the suppressed powers do not reduce Suppression's penalties. Movement speed buffs from other powers remain in effect.

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

And jousting was addressed in a diffferent direction by giving virtually every mob that didn't have one a ranged attack -- in some cases, ranged attacks that outrange snipes with Boost Range active -- which means that the server, which doesn't have to deal with network lag, can trigger return fire the moment a character gets close enough to aggro them, and because of the mechanic that makes the range/LoS check at power activation (with a second at the end of animation only for snipes), it doesn't matter how far away the character moves, the mob will be able to attack back.

On 8/28/2021 at 4:04 PM, krj12 said:

Totally agree with this suggestion.   The game never had travel suppression until they implemented pvp.  It's very annoying and should have no place in the game.

Fun fact: travel suppression is disabled entirely in PvP yet is still present in PvE so this argument isn't a good one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

I'd be cool with lack of travel suppression in all powers. It would make chasing down the Rikti drop ship easier. I think most people wouldn't be able to take advantage in normal pve though since end would be an issue. Pve seems mainly about steamrolling for xp/money or ghosting to objectives for speed. Neither would really benefit from it. It would be a huge QOL increase for hunt missions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Are you implying some people detoggle travel powers in combat? o:

48 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

At lower levels, before you get any sustains, quite often -- even Sprint, for some End hungry builds.

Maybe my builds just suck then. I've always detoggled my travel powers, even on my level 50's. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, A Cat said:

Maybe my builds just suck then. I've always detoggled my travel powers, even on my level 50's. 

For me, it depends on the circumstances of combat and the travel power. I remember that, back on Live, I was able to navigate the little caverns (blue, brown, 5th/Council) with SS running; my twitch reflexes aren't that good any more. Indoors, SJ can usually be left on; SS and Flight can be more of a pain than a benefit with the way Suppression makes "How fast will I move?" such a crap game, but even when I leave them on, I'll drop them as soon as they become inconvenient during a fight.

46 minutes ago, A Cat said:

Depends on the power I guess. I keep SS on always, Fly on except for end-unrelated tactical reasons, and usually SJ off.

Evasive Maneuvers. Also keep travel suppression, or just get rid of every power animation period. 😛

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

22 hours ago, A Cat said:

I'd be cool with lack of travel suppression in all powers. It would make chasing down the Rikti drop ship easier. I think most people wouldn't be able to take advantage in normal pve though since end would be an issue. Pve seems mainly about steamrolling for xp/money or ghosting to objectives for speed. Neither would really benefit from it. It would be a huge QOL increase for hunt missions. 

Why not?  Compared to all the other power creep being able to kite/joust full speed seems like a non issue TBH.

You can already basically do it with ninja run and /nin travel powers now.

20 hours ago, A Cat said:

I do jousting depending on the situation both with melee and ranged attacks.

I don't even usually use travel powers while jousting.

I usually keep my travel powers off when in combat unless I'm using one to gain additional defense hover, combat jumping, etc. and that is only when I'm in situation I think is very dangerous.

But, then, I have to admit that I go to the Gull to turn off speed buff effects.

I really wish I could turn it off (and group fly and group teleport) as a default for my account. (Wouldn't mind turning on accept Mystic Fortune on all my characters. Was never sure why this wasn't something in the options menu rather than having to go for the Gull to do it in game as you can already turn off automatic acceptance of Recall Friend in the options menu)

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I do jousting depending on the situation both with melee and ranged attacks.

I don't even usually use travel powers while jousting.

I usually keep my travel powers off when in combat unless I'm using one to gain additional defense hover, combat jumping, etc. and that is only when I'm in situation I think is very dangerous.

But, then, I have to admit that I go to the Gull to turn off speed buff effects.

I really wish I could turn it off (and group fly and group teleport) as a default for my account. (Wouldn't mind turning on accept Mystic Fortune on all my characters. Was never sure why this wasn't something in the options menu rather than having to go for the Gull to do it in game as you can already turn off automatic acceptance of Recall Friend in the options menu)

Oh, I keep hover on if I have it and always combat jumping. CJ allows me to jump out of a packed crowd easily for a cone attack for example. It is also just useful for navigation purposes in a map. The air control is something I really like. I was just talking mainly about SS, SJ, Fly, etc. I definitely agree about the group fly thing though. It has gotten me a couple of times on MSR's where I have a newly leveled up alt slowly floating at 55 mph suddenly with a bunch of robots. 

3 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Why not?  Compared to all the other power creep being able to kite/joust full speed seems like a non issue TBH.

You can already basically do it with ninja run and /nin travel powers now.

I don’t think comments like this come from a place of understanding the term “power creep”. Creep specifically refers to slow and incremental change in one general direction. A change isn’t power creep because it’s game breaking; changes create power creep when people ask “it’s just a small buff, why not?” hundreds of times.

21 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Flight can be more of a pain than a benefit with the way Suppression

Have you used the current flight ? With Hover, Flight, and Evasive Maneuvers you get pretty decent speed, drift suppression 👌 of flight that was annoying, and can slot 2 LOTG recharge in 3 picks. Suppression doesn't even exist with Evasive and Hover, the stop'n'go is a little annoying but it's so much better now especially for range attacking.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

3 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Have you used the current flight ?

It depends on the character; I'm finding that Translocation in Sorcery has a number of 'off label' uses that can be very fun. For example, the end ruined-office 'room' where you go up the stairs, turn right, go to the corner, left down the stairs, left again up the stairs, and a final left down stairs to the end room has a hole in the wall before the first stairs that you can teleport through, then pop off a T9 nuke.

10 hours ago, arcane said:

I don’t think comments like this come from a place of understanding the term “power creep”. Creep specifically refers to slow and incremental change in one general direction. A change isn’t power creep because it’s game breaking; changes create power creep when people ask “it’s just a small buff, why not?” hundreds of times.

I guess I don't understand power creep.

In that I see the current amount of accumulated creep as so massive, that this suggestion seems insignificant.  A rounding error.

But now that I have been corrected, I have no idea what I think.  Maybe I'll just run away really fast.   

Or not.  Suppression and all.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, A Cat said:

Oh, I keep hover on if I have it and always combat jumping. CJ allows me to jump out of a packed crowd easily for a cone attack for example. It is also just useful for navigation purposes in a map.

I would keep either of those on if I had the end for it - just for the defense bonus.

I break down the travel powers into two types; the in-combat types and the long range types.  Obviously, combat jumping and hover fall into the in-combat category while super leap and fly fall under the long range types.

Honestly, haven't been picking combat jumping as much as I did before the sunset for some reason. Maybe because of the Willpower set, but probably more so because of the P2W travel powers taking the place of using hover or combat jumping.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

22 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

For Live and largely for Homecoming there was a reason and kinda still is, the example Rock Armor Tank/Brute always wanted SB from a Kinetics before the latest Change, while i admittingly shut it off on every other Char too, but still on this char i want it, so the best solution would be both ways. turn it off in the options if u want, if u leave it on in options then make it char based by Null.

Greetings

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server