How to meet new people to RP with?

On 9/5/2021 at 5:04 PM, _Kai_ said:

And if the second person says 'I called the PPD, and together we arrested them all and saved the city!' then everyone who wanted to participate is left going 'well I guess that's over' or forced to contradict that other person, which, is very uncomfortable for a lot of people, and now that story is dead.  That's why generally someone or ones has to be 'in charge' of the story to keep it open and fun for everyone 🙂

Well they can say they arrested all the Warriors, for example, but all you have do is use your eyes to see they did not, which makes them crazy. That would be poor rp, and they would pretty much deserve the weird looks they get from someone actually battling The Warriors. Even now we can just say we killed Statesman and destroyed all of Arachnos singlehandedly, and set off a massive bomb that negated all super powers making everyone normal,  and by your conclusion, everyone would just have to accept that. Of course no one would. That is not how good rp works. 
Your way is not a bad way, but as you said yourself it is very limited. It can function within a larger story line, of course, so I am not knocking it. However, dismissing something that can give a larger part of the community something to actually feed off of because you may have some bad apples in the bunch does not help the over all picture. Micro managing RP won't reach the community as a whole, though admittedly it can provide some very good, smaller group, rp. How many times has Frostfire been "arrested"? Yet it is nothing for an rp'er to say "I ran into that guy, what a jerk"...or "I completely get now what he was spouting on about".  

My writing sometimes comes off matter of fact like, but understand none of this is meant as argumentive as much as discussion...uhm...ative! 🙂

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

On 9/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, GraspingVileTerror said:

There have been attempts by players, with various levels of success and support from Game Moderators, to organize and run structured roleplay narratives.

One of the major challenges is also one of the best parts of City of Heroes:  There's no one correct way to play it.

So these events end up being quite exclusive by no other reason but they focus on a stylistic choice that is a turn-off for various players.

But that would not inherently be a problem if we had a larger population to fill in the gaps and give all walks of life in the roleplay community consistent access.  

Now, if a new Dev could come along with some know-how to implement better roleplay tools; content that operates in a modular fashion but is quicker than AE, or Game Mastering tools particularly for Bases, or bringing AE stories out in to the world, or more robust and interactive emotes, or a bloody danged dice roll command (not the puny diceroll emote or the cumbersome Snowball roll trick) ,... any combination of these.  That could really help increase the number of those players who step up and lead these roleplay events, or save time for those who already do and allow them to reach wider audiences. 

But ultimately, it would still be on the shoulders of the players to step up to take on that role.  It would be nice to have Roleplay Community Representatives, like how PvP has some.  However, we still fall in to the issue that there are far more ways to roleplay than there are to PvP, and to get solid representation we would need a LOT of Roleplay CRs.

And more than anything, there needs to be a consistent and internal way to connect the roleplayers with one another and these Roleplay Leaders or theoretical CRs.

As stated by others in this thread, third-party stuff like discord isn't good.  It creates exclusion and even elitism in some cases, and it can't be monitored to meet the Code of Conduct.  Additionally, the owners of the third-party software could pull any amount of fuckery to interfere with or shut down such external spaces (see the recent scare with discord planning to sell to microsoft.  Don't expect that to be the last you hear of something of that nature).  

The ideal would definitely be in-game tools, like a more comprehensive LFG system or an agreed shorthand by the community which allows players looking for similar things to rapidly identify one another and form up.  The former requires some Dev(s) to actively step up for the roleplay community, while the latter requires serious efforts by the community to unify, at least long enough to work things out.

Since these forums are a required step in every players' registration to play the game, it's a good place to make a concerted effort.  While not truly internal to the game itself, it still operates on the same server hardware and under the same rules as the game itself.  We just need to make it as simple and accessible as possible to cast that net wide.  And, of course, a -little- help from the Homecoming Team to nudge people here with some kind of in-game direction or hotlinking would be very encouraging.

But looping back around to the creation of a Roleplay Personals / Connections thread . . . I'll be going on vacation next week, and hopefully that means finding myself with some free time (really depends on the spouse and if I'm going to get dragged out for "vacationy stuff" every day).

I should be able to get a draft written up for the community to weigh in on, and hopefully have something solid done by the middle of September.

I am thinking of taking vacation soon as well, just to take some days off. Keep us informed on what you are planning, send me a private message if you will. Don't be discouraged if I do not contact you back quickly, I work 12 hour shifts at night so it leaves little time to get home, relax (IE fall asleep in my chair in front of King of the Hill), sleep, get up, eat and head back to work. However, I would love to help when I can. I haven't put in my vacation days yet, so can't give any kind of timeline. Now, that does not mean I am not willing to help on days off, it would just be spottier. 

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

25 minutes ago, Paragon Vanguard said:

However, dismissing something that can give a larger part of the community something to actually feed off of because you may have some bad apples in the bunch does not help the over all picture. 

It was an extreme example, but it's less 'some bad apples' and 'lots of well intentioned enthusiastic apples that don't talk to each other and get mad when someone else does/writes/says something that contradicts/negates/makes useless what their own character did/planned/wanted to do' 🙂  Ultimately it does the opposite of providing opportunity, namely that sides are taken, people are excluded, people's feelings are hurt, etc and they choose to disengage and warn away others from engaging, and stories grind to a halt.

That's not to say that doesn't happen when someone is directing the story, it happened to at least one of the Community Arcs from City of Roleplay Discord, but in general, if you throw a situation out there without any intent to guide it, invariably someone will come along and declare themselves to be 'in charge' or fixing it, and other people will not go along with it, and that forces everyone interested in it to pick a side, or, more than likely, just not engage because they don't need that kind of drama 🙂

I mean, if you feel like it, go for it? But don't be surprised if it erupts in drama and having people on your friends list who you like to RP with, but will never again RP with each other 🙂

2 hours ago, _Kai_ said:

It was an extreme example, but it's less 'some bad apples' and 'lots of well intentioned enthusiastic apples that don't talk to each other and get mad when someone else does/writes/says something that contradicts/negates/makes useless what their own character did/planned/wanted to do' 🙂  Ultimately it does the opposite of providing opportunity, namely that sides are taken, people are excluded, people's feelings are hurt, etc and they choose to disengage and warn away others from engaging, and stories grind to a halt.

That's not to say that doesn't happen when someone is directing the story, it happened to at least one of the Community Arcs from City of Roleplay Discord, but in general, if you throw a situation out there without any intent to guide it, invariably someone will come along and declare themselves to be 'in charge' or fixing it, and other people will not go along with it, and that forces everyone interested in it to pick a side, or, more than likely, just not engage because they don't need that kind of drama 🙂

I mean, if you feel like it, go for it? But don't be surprised if it erupts in drama and having people on your friends list who you like to RP with, but will never again RP with each other 🙂

What you described are bad apples. Those things can happen. I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't need to be the focus. I have rp'ed now for over 35 years, lead games in rp, and lead and wrote fiction for 100s of people to play off of. Not bragging, just saying there isn't much I have not seen. I don't have many rp friends that will do the things you described, because by now, they have all faded, with me having to do nothing. Some I like in rl. Just is what it is. You can't be scared of those things if you want to set up something for rp'ers on a broader scale than 8 people. Nothing wrong with setting up for 8 and I don't think micro managing is wrong, it is in fact much easier, but I was talking about how to get people involved on a broader scale. It of course can be done, as it has been done many times in the past on other platforms. We just have to find positive ways of accomplishing it. You have already decided on how it will go, but, you can try and help it not go that way if you really wanted to. You know the hang ups, find the solutions, or help with them. As of right now the rp is lacking, and that is why people are talking about it, and while it is lacking, the potential is great. We just have to find ways to tap into it. Just my 2 cents, and I know, hardly worth a dime. 

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

Late to the thread, I know. Apologies, but RL has kept me hopping of late. 

Honestly, I like a lot of what was suggested here. I started to think about times in other games, as well as CoH when it was live, where I met other RP'ers. I've never actually used the classifieds associated with roleplaying forums, but I think it's a great idea if it's done right. I have no idea if I'd participate, but it seems to work for a lot of folks. In my last game, I found my guild by literally walking by them on what was essentially their weekly night for hanging out in the bar. They welcomed walk-up RP, and...well, to be honest, a kindly word to beckon my character over was necessary, because as a player, I was a scaredy cat. 😛

What came to mind most strongly was how I met my first SG/Coalition in CoH. One of the leaders had advertised on the official forums that the combined supergroups (this was before coalitions were put in the game) that would eventually be that coalition were hosting a...not sure what it was...a picnic maybe? Something social but that could be held in Atlas. By the time that coalition was no more, I had plenty of friends to transplant myself to Virtue and find all manner of new rp'ers to run in horror from. 

Still, I think what I am taking away from this is the same thing I've always said: There's no right way to get involved in RP. My best advice has always been to participate where you can if you don't want to run something yourself. On a community level, there are plenty of things to do, and depending on the community, they often work out well when they're done in a way that is inclusive and inviting. Whether it's a plot or a picnic often depends just as much on who the event appeals to as the interest that can be generated for it. 

Which is...where I step aside. A regular event from my last game burnt me out pretty hard, and I'm determined to remain as misanthropic as possible both IC and OOC. 

• Like 1

Hi-Caliber Solutions

Everlasting Server