Well now, who is that charming... uh... who are you again?

Aeroprism

City of Heroes.  So many alts, so many Heroes, Villains, Preatorians.

Has the following ever happened to you?  

I was looking at my few character pages, trying to decide which of my characters I would use to try and make a Badger.  

My Rad/Rad Scrapper?  Nah, she's too slow.

My Claw/Bio Brute?  Maybe, I dunno.

My Water/Elec Blaster?   Nah. I suck at Blasters.

My... wait.  Who are you?

*Cue ominous music*

When did I make you? Why do you have so many levels? I don't even know your powersets.  [Logs on] Uh... ok this is my own tray placement, my scheme of doing things and you're wearing one of the generic costume templates I like but I just can't remember rolling you, choosing your name or playing you.

I am utterly confused.

Well, let's see if you're badger material!!

• Haha 4

It does get worse than that.

Such as when you search for some bit of information. Up comes an informative post, page, article, something. Just what you're looking for.

And then you realize you wrote it.

(I've had this happen with material I wrote over 30 years ago... 😛 )

• Like 7
  • Haha 7
  • Thumbs Up 2

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Such as when you search for some bit of information. Up comes an informative post, page, article, something. Just what you're looking for.

This is transcending meta.

I salute you.

This is why I only leave the first page of characters for a rotation.  Heck I hardly ever get to the bottom of the first page.  I'll typically play a handful of AT's and not their certain counterparts., usually the villain AT's because they're cooler. 

How many tanks, stalkers, doms, blasters and corruptors do you really need to play anyways?  Then why play the gimp version alternatives?  I mean who needs a brute when you can playy a tank or blaster?  Or a scrapper when you can murder things just as well on a stalker or blaster?  I'll give you defenders though they're quite good I'm just a villain homer with my corruptor.  

13 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Well...I've had the reverse happen. I had a specific question about a badge and did a search and found I'd asked the same question a year or so earlier. Does that count? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Well...I've had the reverse happen. I had a specific question about a badge and did a search and found I'd asked the same question a year or so earlier. Does that count? 

Probably.

I am amused that so many folks have reacted to my post. Here's an example: I had some piece of household gear that required a fussy and poorly documented process to set up and configure, but only once, or whenever it was re-installed or something. So I asked at some point, got no good answers because no one else understood the damn thing either. So being what I am, I worked it all out, wrote up the steps, and posted it in the answer stream.

At least twice that I recall, I had to reconfigure the thing (cannot remember what it was - maybe a fancy-dancy ceiling fan controller?), did a search, and came up with this GREAT post on exactly how to do it... oh. right...

And these days, when I do searches on my two or three areas of specialty, what comes up is mostly my own websites and research postings. That, I at least expect.

(And, oddity on oddity, that was my 707th post. A number of high significance even if I can't explain why here...)

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.10 Technical Guide (27p7)... 158 pages of complete, comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

15 hours ago, Mezmera said:

This is why I only leave the first page of characters for a rotation.  Heck I hardly ever get to the bottom of the first page.  I'll typically play a handful of AT's and not their certain counterparts., usually the villain AT's because they're cooler. 

How many tanks, stalkers, doms, blasters and corruptors do you really need to play anyways?  Then why play the gimp version alternatives?  I mean who needs a brute when you can playy a tank or blaster?  Or a scrapper when you can murder things just as well on a stalker or blaster?  I'll give you defenders though they're quite good I'm just a villain homer with my corruptor.  

Different people, different tastes.

I never play to murder faster. The word gimp does not have a place in my own CoH vocabulary.

Sometimes, I wanna play a Ice tank because I wanna play a Ice tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

Sometimes, I wanna play a Ice tank because I wanna play a Ice tank.

Hey I feel you I have an Ice Armor stalker.  You'd probably trade me your Hiber for Icy Bastion I suppose though.  

Okay so we don't have to use the word "gimp".  Sentinels are good-challenged.  😜

Yeah the game is great, there's every which way to play it for broad appeal.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mezmera said:

How many tanks, stalkers, doms, blasters and corruptors do you really need to play anyways?

All of them.

*All* of them.

(And I will never call any version a "gimp" version because of AT or whatnot. I really wish people would stop doing that.)

Besides, I have fun with projects like "every X AT's powerset" or the like. And yes, a tank *does* play differently than a Brute or a Scrapper (and, obviously, than a stalker.) Especially on the way up.

• Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have a terrible memory.

If not for my habitual compulsion to play this game, I'd probably forget ALL my characters in a day or two.

As it stands, I have a spreadsheet to help me remember, and logging in periodically certainly helps too.

But I can't even count the number of times someone has said "Hey!  Let's roleplay a scene of X and Y!" and I'm like "Awesome!  . . . which account is X on again?"

7 minutes ago, Greycat said:

(And I will never call any version a "gimp" version because of AT or whatnot. I really wish people would stop doing that.)

+1.

Ya wanna play the four builds that have maximum numbers? Go right ahead. But, y'know, shaddap about the rest of us who play builds that are novel, or interesting, or fit a theme or just amuse us. Maybe some of us want to do tai chi on Muscle Beach.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Most often these things are said in playful jest.  Don't take it seriously.

I don't want my character list to become a who's who of the land of misfit toys that no longer get played with, that's just my style.  Some people like Chocolate, some Vanilla, some like half and half and others want all that and sprinkles.  There's all kinds of different ways to play this, I like to do it as humorously as I can though.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Yeah that happens to me out in YouTube land.  I'll see a video, maybe I'm a tad familiar with it, maybe not, and I'll like to read the comments section.  I've had several times when I'll speed read comments, find one that strikes my fancy, and glance over to the name and its one of my aliases and the comment was posted years ago.  What really freaks me is that, even realizing I wrote it, I don't recognize my own style of writing.

Anybody else remember the classic "Badger" comic? I have 'em all... somewhere. He was "the psychotic hero for the nineties." Or maybe eighties? (Damn, I'm getting old when I can't recall my comic references.)

"You got red on my suit!"

But, on topic, sometimes ya just wanna play the Question. He's no Batman, but he still has his seat at the Watchtower. 

cf: The Cadmus arc in JLU.

Edited by DoctorDitko
getting old
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Badger was indeed 80s, I had many of them!

My closest-related story was getting all jazzed about my new alt a few months ago - exciting funny character concept, found a good build for him here on the forums and off I went.  I was somewhere in the 20s levels when I realized I already had another previous alt with the very same power-sets.  I'd abandoned him at like 46th level because he just wasn't clicking for me.  I put it down to having a different build and not having much of a character concept.  Right now my newer alt is around 50th+15 and perhaps my main (and also right there at the end of my sig).

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

oh yeah. Back on live I had over a hundred alts and you know what? I forgot most of their names and bios within months of the game shuttering and it sucked because I'd been proud of them at the time. I'm making it a project now to make a little record of what I make so I can find it years from now and go 'awww, I was cute then'

I just had that experience going through old comics I made in my teens, so I'm pretty sure my fond recollections will still hold true in a decade when I re-find the notebook.

I'm also being way more judicious about making new ones. Although I've already got ideas for two new ones just from tonight...

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:33 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Anybody else remember the classic "Badger" comic? I have 'em all... somewhere. He was "the psychotic hero for the nineties." Or maybe eighties? (Damn, I'm getting old when I can't recall my comic references.)

"You got red on my suit!"

But, on topic, sometimes ya just wanna play the Question. He's no Batman, but he still has his seat at the Watchtower. 

cf: The Cadmus arc in JLU.

I just remember a Badger/Nexus crossover that was quite good. and how he freaked out if anyone suggested he was crazy... and he called people Larry I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PsiBug said:

I just remember a Badger/Nexus crossover that was quite good. and how he freaked out if anyone suggested he was crazy... and he called people Larry I think.

Yup, all correct.  Mike Baron was a pretty solid superhero writer back in the day.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

My highlights is going to page 4 and seeing several level 50s I have not touched in a year, log into them only to find things on the auction house, 100 sold things, a tray full of purple enhancements, or piles of money that I had entirely forgotten I had.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1