18 minutes ago, Rosencrantz said:

why would you having your own farmer make other people beg less?

The premise is that if everyone had their own farmer, they wouldn't need to beg for a PL 

On 9/8/2021 at 6:24 PM, Erratic1 said:

Not interested in farming. Lack of patience for it.

I also lack the patience for it. There's a method called AFK-farming. You just park the brute/tank in the center of the map, with burn on auto. Come back when you feel like it and reset. All you do is craft/convert/sell when you're ready. 

I have two accounts. I used to be mostly on Everlasting, so my first Rad/Fire Brute is there. Later I made a second account, first using the farmer to PL some new toons, and then eventually making a second Rad/Fire Brute. So now I have two accounts with a Brute on each, and I also have several other toons that can farm with varying degrees of success. My Peacebringer and Ice Sentinel are OKAY. StJ/WP Scrapper and Ninja/WP Stalker - pretty nifty farm helpers and the Stalker can actually farm if I ever had the desire to clear mobs one target at a time. My Illusion/FF Troller can survive a farm and make sure others survive too, but she's way more fun to use on normal content. My Crabbermind can both Fire and S/L farm at a rate that is respectable, and if I join a team I can just go my own way and clear stuff.

My most recent farmer though is my main, an Elec/Kin Corr. The farming happened right around the time I realized I had enough Incarnate salvage that I could go from having 6 T4s to 8 T4, so Cardiac got changed to Musculature when I saw the DEF loss was less than 1%, and Clarion got changed to Barrier. Now my main can farm as fast as some Brutes, and faster than some as well, but my main is like hypertuned to handle just about anything.  I can S/L farm without enhancements, but fire farming requires popping medium purples once in a while, especially if I am dealing with multiple mobs at once. 

It's kind of funny how I assert that I will use LFG to find a farm group if I want. Honestly, I only use LFG to find a farm if I am forming it myself. It's usually Smashing/Lethal and everyone fights. I pick S/L as my farm style of choice because well... I like it. But I also choose it because for the most part, S/L RES is more common among player than Fire RES which is usually on more specialized builds. This means that more players can contribute in a way that is meaningful. And yes, lowbies can totally fight in a farm once they have an understanding of how aggro works, so they don't splat too often. 

My personal suggestion, make every single toon with Smashing/Lethal farming in mind. Even if you do not farm, your build will benefit. Moreover, building with S/L in mind goes a LONG way to making your toon thrive in a solo environment. Soloing is certainly slower than groups or farming, but a fortified build can amp up the difficulty. My Dark/Spines Tanker, Crabbermind, and Elec/Kin Corr and a few others, all run everything at +4 and quite often x8, depending on how fast I want to clear the mission. Stuff like DA arcs are almost ALWAYS x8 because level shifts are sweet. 

Running farms endless does have it's advantages though. My first fire Brute is in the Vet level 200s. The second one in the 100s. So when I went to make my Savage/Shield Brute and subsequently my Dark/Spines Tanker, you bet I knew how to herd. Even if you contribute a little bit, you will learn stuff. I remember my poor main, being a Kin, struggling to keep everyone buffed while spamming heals, using only generic IOs. 

The thing is, people want to farm because farming works, and gets results fast. People like results. I know it's harder to entice them to regular content but the only way to do so is to be inclusive. Maybe people running regular groups could make offers to people using LFG to find a farm. Sure, farms are better than a PI group, but a solid radio group is going to make XP almost as fast, AND with everyone contributing. You want to unlock Incarnates and make threads. Well, if you like farming, you should love the bowl in the Mothership Raid. Farm some MSRs. 

But LFG is going to continue to be used for farms, and so long as farming is not against the TOS, and probably will never be, then that is not going to stop. If someone is really bothering you, use the ignore function. Don't like the idea of ignoring people, then do what I do. Go through your ignore list every so often, and remove people when you forget why you put them there. Trust me, you will not forget those who belong there, and squelching LFG can be a temporary as you want it to be. Speaking of which, I should clear the list out again. Certain people will stay there, even if I have no issue with them and their style of play. You don't like farming? I don't like 801 spam. Admittedly the 801 spam is a tiny din compared to calls for farms, but it's a din that rubs me the wrong way, so I silence it. 

I do think that being proactive and inclusive is the way to go. PM and ask the farm person, "Hey, you want to try <insert mission here>. I agree that lowbies should be doing lowbie content. It's fun and they can contribute. If I think of a better way to entice players, I will post it. 

3 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Damnit...all this talk of the benefits of two accounts...your temptations are strong 😂

Even just having a mule for things like Catalysts and Converters can be handy so you don't have to mail them to yourself one at a time. 

Edited by Krimson
4 hours ago, Krimson said:

Even just having a mule for things like Catalysts and Converters can be handy so you don't have to mail them to yourself one at a time. 

...Damnit I'll do it :P. Well, probably a bit later but! Still gonna do it. I'm oddly enough still in the mindset of 1 account for all your 50s. Probably a rollover from preshutdown days personally.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Krimson said:

The thing is, people want to farm because farming works, and gets results fast. People like results. I know it's harder to entice them to regular content but the only way to do so is to be inclusive.

Want to know why I started farming and created multiple accounts in the first place?

The gogogogo mentality in random groups. There are still missions, story arcs, AVs, GMs, and Raids that I have never done before, not even once. Even though I have played for 2+ years.

No one explains anything. Most groups don't even speak much. We just zip right on through as fast as possible, me without a clue as to what is going on, then I will see an 8 second animation with some big baddie doing his "Bwahahah! You'll never stop me Heroes!" with me there like a deer in a headlights and not a clue to who this guy even is, or what his plans even are. This isn't even counting things like team teleport that just whooshes me to some unknown corner of the map with zero idea where I am, how to get there, or what I am supposed to be doing. Most of the time, I don't even know if badges are involved. Heck, I have badges that I have zero clue how I earned them.

So, its a bit difficult to get overly invested into stories and open world content. Sure, I'll join a PI group and help out healing for fun. Sure, I will join the random Story mission. But I have yet to be on a Hami Raid. Heck, I still have never been on a Mothership run or even how it works. And my highest level character is almost vet level 300 now. 

Anyway, my main point is, that if I wanted the "gogogogo! fastafastafasta!" play, in content unknown to me with a bunch of random strangers, well, I would have kept playing other games such as ESO or Wow. And I am pretty certain I am not the only one. At least this game has ways/options for me to get strong all on my own if I want to, not all games do. Which for me is a BIG part of the attraction here. I don't "have" to put up with the randomness of strangers and give the RNG gods my firstborn for purple gear. I can do it all on my own at my own pace and time.

Not everyone feels that way obviously, but, just sharing what got me into farming here in the first place. 

Best wishes

• Thumbs Up 2
50 minutes ago, Neiska said:

Want to know why I started farming and created multiple accounts in the first place?

The gogogogo mentality in random groups. There are still missions, story arcs, AVs, GMs, and Raids that I have never done before, not even once. Even though I have played for 2+ years.

No one explains anything. Most groups don't even speak much. We just zip right on through as fast as possible, me without a clue as to what is going on, then I will see an 8 second animation with some big baddie doing his "Bwahahah! You'll never stop me Heroes!" with me there like a deer in a headlights and not a clue to who this guy even is, or what his plans even are. This isn't even counting things like team teleport that just whooshes me to some unknown corner of the map with zero idea where I am, how to get there, or what I am supposed to be doing. Most of the time, I don't even know if badges are involved. Heck, I have badges that I have zero clue how I earned them.

So, its a bit difficult to get overly invested into stories and open world content. Sure, I'll join a PI group and help out healing for fun. Sure, I will join the random Story mission. But I have yet to be on a Hami Raid. Heck, I still have never been on a Mothership run or even how it works. And my highest level character is almost vet level 300 now. 

Anyway, my main point is, that if I wanted the "gogogogo! fastafastafasta!" play, in content unknown to me with a bunch of random strangers, well, I would have kept playing other games such as ESO or Wow. And I am pretty certain I am not the only one. At least this game has ways/options for me to get strong all on my own if I want to, not all games do. Which for me is a BIG part of the attraction here. I don't "have" to put up with the randomness of strangers and give the RNG gods my firstborn for purple gear. I can do it all on my own at my own pace and time.

Not everyone feels that way obviously, but, just sharing what got me into farming here in the first place. 

Best wishes

I do understand that. That's why I try and make my toons so I can solo them. There are certain arcs that I like to do, and I like to do them on my own so I can take my time, take in the scenery, and read the dialogue. My current toon is a Psi/Fire Sentinel that I made mostly for soloing. Currently at level 36. I do join the odd team to break up the monotony, but I never stick around long enough to outlevel my mission arcs. 

For yourself, if you have capable toons that are level 50 you do have options. By capable, I mean capable of soloing or playing on small teams. By options I mean Ourobouros. The intro to Ourobouros is fun and worthwhile, and maybe take a trip to the Rikti War Zone and do the intro to Vanguard via Levantera. In Ourobouros in the building are the crystals of Ice and Fire, and clicking on one lets you select missions that you can do as a "Flashback" so you can do content you missed or outleveled. This is a good way to see the content in the game, aside from making a new level 1 and then hitting that Contact button in your Nav. 

• Thumbs Up 1
1 hour ago, Neiska said:

But I have yet to be on a Hami Raid. Heck, I still have never been on a Mothership run or even how it works. And my highest level character is almost vet level 300 now. 

It may vary depending on the server, but on Everlasting at least, both of these are very well explained and run. They also don't really have a story to speak of that is revealed in the raid. 

Personally, I solo mission arcs if I am trying to experience the story. There are a lot of times where only the leader gets to read dialogue. But no one wants to just read a giant wall of text and make others wait on them anyway. 

1 hour ago, Neiska said:

No one explains anything. Most groups don't even speak much. We just zip right on through as fast as possible, me without a clue as to what is going on, then I will see an 8 second animation with some big baddie doing his "Bwahahah! You'll never stop me Heroes!" with me there like a deer in a headlights and not a clue to who this guy even is, or what his plans even are.

I've played since I13, and I had literally no idea about the plot of any of the TFs until I duoed through them a couple of times on HC.  It was exciting, after probably several hundred ITFs, to finally find out what those giant ersatz-Nazi robots were doing in Ancient Rome.  I only know the plots of a lot of the normal story arcs because I overwhelmingly solo or duo.  I think one of the best gameplay improvements the devs could make would be to find a way to mirror mission text to the non-leaders in a team.

• Thanks 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

I think I might be warmer to a Farm Channel if it were implemented like the usual baked in channels. This is important because Global channels do not tell you the local name of the player nor what Shard they are on. Having something where the chat is per shard with local names would probably make it more enticing to use, which means we would need developer help. Certainly I spoke against segregation because segregation sucks, but a dedicated channel where you don't have to opt in or join, except by adding it to a chat window, would be much more useful than a global player made channel. I could use it to organize farm leagues in Dark Astoria. 😄

11 minutes ago, A Cat said:

It may vary depending on the server, but on Everlasting at least, both of these are very well explained and run. They also don't really have a story to speak of that is revealed in the raid. 

Personally, I solo mission arcs if I am trying to experience the story. There are a lot of times where only the leader gets to read dialogue. But no one wants to just read a giant wall of text and make others wait on them anyway. 

If you are on Excelsior or Everlasting and the person running the Mother Ship Raid is either named Boy Band/Oklahoman (same player), or by someone from Chaos United on Everlasting, you are in good hands even if you have no idea what you are doing. 

On 9/12/2021 at 5:48 AM, Blackbird71 said:

Dual-box RP.

Trust me, it happens.

Yep.

I have two accounts, sometimes I have one to support a second main, sometimes I farm (rarely.) Most often it's RP related - a version of a character on the main account that needs to drop by for some reason while my "real" character is there, for instance. It's also letting me host Kheld arcs for a SG that's repurposing them without anyone having to reroll established characters in odd ways.  It can come in handy in odd ways.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Neiska said:

I'll echo Krimson and suggest that you run some of the story arcs on your own, at your own pace,  with or without extra accounts or friends.  I'll recommend all the Zone arcs as they tie in and explain what's going on in a zone and between the groups that hang out there - Hollows, Faultline, Striga, Croatoa, and Rikti War Zone all have a series of story arcs from different contacts that combine to tell a story.  I sometimes level a new character just doing those zone arcs at natural level.  You also end up with a lot of reward merits and neat temp powers and a few badges.

Additionally, when you open up an Ouro crystal and look at some of the lists you'll also see a series of arcs that are numbered Part 1, Part 2, etc. that similarly tie together some game lore.  Here's a list of all the Hero TFs and Story Arcs to see if anything calls to you (Villains and Preatorians have a similar list):  https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Hero_Merit_Rewards

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
13 hours ago, A Cat said:

They are well run, but they are only "well explained" in terms of directing teams where to go and what to do, and I'm pretty sure that's not the context Neiska was referring to.  

• Thumbs Down 1
21 hours ago, Neiska said:

You are not alone. 
The SG I belong to, on Excelsior, called Cosmic Council has "education" nights for various tfs/events. The lore is explained. The strategy is explained. The only real downside (from my perspective) is we use discord to do the explaining. This means, if I want to interact, I have to wear my headphones with the microphone attached, and those headphones completely suppress all noise outside the game and discord. I see that as a negative. If my phone rings, I want to know. If someone in the house is calling my name from the other room, I want to know. Wish I'd realized the headphones in question were noise-suppressing when I got them. So uncomfortable, too. Makes my ears hurt.  But I digress. 

There are folks that are patient and will explain more than you'd really ever want to know about a given story arc/tf/trial.