What do you think is the most even power set?

Kung Fu Cow

My recommendation is basically anything with a Shield.

Low end costs make it forgiving through the early-mid levels.

Great combined protections.

Crazy effective damage amp.

Several choices can be delayed or even skipped to grab other gems you were eyeing.

All of this combines to make a smooth and fun experience, even before you get the iconic mini-nuke + gap-closer.  It's even a great set into the late game, and is a fan-favorite of many of the Builder Elite, so the consistency never ends.

I think powers change depending on the AT they are taken with. As an example, the Tanker vs Brute vs Scrapper vs Stalker comparisons, the Brute often stands apart due to Fury and Damage Buff interactions. 

For Melee: Generally I have found both Radiation Melee and Claws balanced. Claws is more focused on speedy attacks with a fantastic AoE at a very low level. Radiation is slower, but its energy. It has a great single target and area damage, and is also one of the few Melee powers with a Damage Aura, plus it has the Contaminated mechanic. I also found Katana to be oddly satisfying, and was one of the smoothest 1-50 journeys I have experienced.

Personal Melee favorite: Radiation Melee

For Armor: Shield is great, with not only defense but CC as well. But it cant be taken with everything. Invulnerability is also very good. Bio Armor is also very good with its different stances, and its regen/absorb mechanic makes it very effective at all damage types, something not all armor sets can enjoy. Bio Armor only gets better with recharge, so it pairs very well with recharge melee sets. 

Personal Armor favorite: Bio Armor.