Everything seems to cost too much influence

Diantane

6 hours ago, skoryy said:

Maybe this is a discussion for another new topic, but I can't bring myself to razing alts I've found disappointing.  I've put some time and effort into them, and there's always the possibility the disappointing bits get improved down the road.

(Staff fighting and controllers, hint hint. 😉 )

I've never gutted an alt either but I'm conscious how much a pair of underwhelming domis cost to Io out and am considering it. 

Strongly. 

10 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

I've never gutted an alt either but I'm conscious how much a pair of underwhelming domis cost to Io out and am considering it. 

Strongly. 

My next project is an Earth/Earth so feel free to send them to me. 😄

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

9 hours ago, skoryy said:

Maybe this is a discussion for another new topic, but I can't bring myself to razing alts I've found disappointing.  I've put some time and effort into them, and there's always the possibility the disappointing bits get improved down the road.

(Staff fighting and controllers, hint hint. 😉 )

I used to be the same, but since I can PowerFarm an alt from 1-32 in under a half hour with on-demand double XP boosters, I no longer worry about that.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, GM Flints said:

While Homecoming has some changes the economy, from disabling double-inf-no-exp as an option, to ATOs/WinterOs being essentially gold destruction to take INF out of the economy, and seeding/fungibles on the market there are options for every play-style (Except maybe roleplay without costume contests/playing with AE editor only and not playing created arcs) to generate an income in this game;
OPs query got answered pretty early on in page 1 and 2 of this thread, While I'm not going to close this thread just because it's been answered, a debate on how farming, merits, and inf generation of different methods and playstyles - Such as solo merit farming vs market play vs farming vs team farming etc and so forth - is going to be much better suited for it's own thread (and own thread title) for that debate, rather than a player feeling they cannot afford things on their character and players assisting with advice.

Keep being cool,
GM Flints

GM's and devs can you please provide us with the data that proves that farming is breaking the economy as the OP is suggesting?

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

6 hours ago, Dazl said:

GM's and devs can you please provide us with the data that proves that farming is breaking the economy as the OP is suggesting?

I don't think that the Devs are going to, but a few GMs posted about the economy in this 2 year old thread. (Note: The price of LoTGs were about 6 million back then too).

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 7:23 PM, Miss Magical said:

Look, there are two separate issues I am bringing up:

1) farmers increase the amount of inf in the economy, and this leads to higher prices.

2) farmers gain vastly more rewards (considering both inf and non-inf rewards) than players of other playstyles.

1)  But farmers simultaneously increase the amount of goods, which leaders to LOWER prices.

Which factor wins out - higher or lower prices?  I don't know.

HOWEVER, since we have not seen prices trending steadily higher, I would conclude that either:

a) Your premise is wrong.

or

b) The effect is so small, or the number of farmers is so small, that any price increase is drowned out by other factors and is therefore irrelevant.

2) So what?  I don't dispute that farmers gain more rewards than most other players.  So do task force speed runners.  Again, so what?

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:48 AM, Diantane said:

I was overwhelmed by the response, but it got me thinking. If a hundred players did each of these ideas, none of them would work. I mean the influence has to come from somewhere. There would have to be a lot more "spenders" than "earners". A lot more.

Then the spenders got that influence somewhere. So they too are earners.

There is truth in this, but based on observations over the past 2+ years, people tend to be pretty content with what they are already doing.  The odds of a hundred players doing each of these ideas are low enough that I feel confident that I can literally tell anyone who will listen exactly what I am doing and how to do even better, and that those hundred players will shrug their shoulders and say, "Meh, I like farming."

There's an old (and terrible) economist joke:  An economist and a (anything but economist) are walking down the street and they see a $100 bill on the sidewalk.  The economist walks past it.  The other person says, "Aren't you going to pick that up?" and the economist replies, "It can't be real or else someone else would already have picked it up."  So the other person picked it up and bought lunch for both of them.

NOTE:  This has actually happened to me twice in my life.  Once I picked up the money, held it for a few days while we tried to track down the person who dropped it, believe it or not.  The other was a few years ago and the person three feet in front of me picked it up.

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

13 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The odds of a hundred players doing each of these ideas are low enough that I feel confident that I can literally tell anyone who will listen exactly what I am doing and how to do even better, and that those hundred players will shrug their shoulders and say, "Meh, I like farming."

I can market. I can market very well. I do not market. Pushing a few buttons, 1234 shift1234 and idly chatting with friends is easier than focusing on rnjesus w/ converters and the flipping and the marketlookup to see if something that dajesus dropped for my 2 converters is worth saving, selling, or converting again.

One takes brain power. The other removes the brain from being used. I don't play to think, I play to NOT think, so marketing for me is an onerous job that gets done when I have a build i REALLY want to play and want it "nao" vrs in a few months of "farming-lite"

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest problem with marketeering is the combination of (1) I don’t have the patience to save for a long time; I earn then spend (constant stream of new 50’s every week to feed). Add to that (2) Marketeering incentivizes people that save long-term because it grows more lucrative the more capital you have to invest.

Farming doesn’t punish my lack of discipline in this way, so I prefer it. I’m still trying to do a little market stuff here and there tho.

Oh, and the QoL issues with converters are pretty annoying (the part where you can’t lock it to converting within sets of the same type) so it never feels like the 5-10 minutes of work people always mention here. Converting 70 uncommons into desirable rares feels like a real slog compared to just sitting still with Burn on auto.

I put in a buttload of bids last night though, so here’s to hoping I get better at this.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Converting 70 uncommons into desirable rares feels like a real slog compared to just sitting still with Burn on auto.

However, if you just want inf now and look at the horizon, the convert uncommons to rares can be very profitable _at scale_, rather than on the merit of a single conversion. If I can convert 100 uncommons to rares in 10 minutes or less, and net 700k per uncommon, thats a lot of cash. It just isnt in piles of 3,4,5 million per, but like 800k, 1m, 1.2 m (the occasional 2 m).

Thats the lazy persons way to money via converters, and it is extremely efficient, but again at scale, rather than individually.

17 minutes ago, arcane said:

Oh, and the QoL issues with converters are pretty annoying (the part where you can’t lock it to converting within sets of the same type) so it never feels like the 5-10 minutes of work people always mention here. Converting 70 uncommons into desirable rares feels like a real slog compared to just sitting still with Burn on auto.

Totally valid observation.  It's the kind of thing that takes practice, and I guess it's humble bragging a bit on our part, but it isn't completely transparent that it's not, oh it's 10PM, let me do some marketing magic, ok it's 10:15 look at my piles of inf!  But in terms of minutes spent it's pretty nice.

Put in bids on 70 uncommons and related salvage:  1-2 minutes.

Wait.  This is the sticky wicket.  Do you wait an hour?  A day?  A week?  And what if I bid too low?  Oy vey!

Collect items from /AH.  Summon portable workbench.  Craft 70 items:  1 minute.

You did make sure that your inventory wasn't too full for 70 recipes, 210 (or more!) pieces of salvage, and 70 enhancements, right?  

Convert 70 enhancements once by category to get a rare:  1-2 minutes.

Ugh, pulling down that menu 70 times is a drag.  Hold on, did I use a recipe that was guaranteed to get a rare?  

Convert 70 enhancements by rare/category/set until you get stuff you want to sell:  depends on how experienced you are.  That would probably take me about 5 minutes but I've had a LOT of practice.

Hold on, you had enough converters, right?

Move the enhancements to the AH, list them:  again, depends on experience level.  For me, probably 2 minutes.

Wait.

Collect your inf. 

Now, this might take me 10-15 minutes in actual dragging and clicking, assuming I had all my ducks in a row.  Maybe it takes someone else 30-45 minutes.  For 70 enhancements, I would expect to net at least 150mm in profit.  Good hourly rate, sure, but it also probably took a few days (or more) of waiting around.  And That's for rare roulette -- working a designated niche might be a lot faster (or slower) and a lot more profitable.

But it's not for everyone, that's a fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

18 hours ago, Neiska said:

@Ironblade - with respect hon, a recent farmer vs anti-farmer discussion was just closed, in case you were unaware. Not trying to play forum police or anything, just saying they just shelved a recent discussion about that.

I was aware.  Also, I'm not a farmer.  And you are definitely playing forum police.

So, what was the point of your post?  🙂

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

18 hours ago, Neiska said:

@Ironblade - with respect hon, a recent farmer vs anti-farmer discussion was just closed, in case you were unaware. Not trying to play forum police or anything, just saying they just shelved a recent discussion about that.

That thread didn’t get locked due to the subject matter, it got locked because it devolved into a pissing match.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

15 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I was aware.  Also, I'm not a farmer.  And you are definitely playing forum police.

So, what was the point of your post?  🙂

The point of my post was just to point out that 2 similar posts got closed this week, which I would call it a bit of a charged topic. And, no, I wasn't playing forum police. Going "hey they just closed other topics" isn't forum policing. Reporting, calling attention from the staff and such is. Was just trying to be helpful in light of some rather emotional few day son the forums.

7 minutes ago, Dazl said:

That thread didn’t get locked due to the subject matter, it got locked because it devolved into a pissing match.

Agreed.

I haven't had  much CoX  playtime for a while, but I never really got into converter roulette, and after I came back I just stuck to old-fashioned crafting from recipes and selling the IOs to the impatient.  That's very easy, because once you spot a nice seller all you have to do is place stacks of bids before you log off, then when you log in pick everything up, craft and list.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!