Everything seems to cost too much influence

Diantane

6 hours ago, Dazl said:

That thread didn’t get locked due to the subject matter, it got locked because it devolved into a pissing match.

5nddsb.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 9/9/2021 at 8:46 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

What is true is that playing the game organically (just playing for playing's sake, not making any plans on how to make inf or get items) doesn't really result in a cash flow positive experience until you are in your upper 20s or low 30s.  So if you are playing for the first time, I can see how it may seem daunting to keep your enhancements above red level.  But fear not, for many reasons!

1.  There *is* a breakeven point, where you can sell everything that drops to vendors and buy SOs from vendors and be ahead of the game.  So if you haven't gotten there yet, it's coming.

2.  Honestly, up to that point you can probably play completely unenhanced.  It's a forgiving game.  But you can also only slot things that drop, or pick and choose what to spend your limited resources on.  See @Ukase's thread on the drop challenge.

3.  Once/if you use the AH to sell your items, or even better to use it as a source of income, you'll never want for anything.  There are tons of useful suggestions above on how to accumulate inf using that system, if you so choose.

4.  People are generous, because many of us have more inf than we know what to do with.  All you need to do is ask.  See the link in my signature.

I think a big issue is also just how FAST we level now. Back on live before level smoothing you could generally afford to keep yourself in SO's without too much trouble, simply because you had a longer time to get infl before your current SO's went red. Currently you have to actively turn off xp if you want to hit most of the same story arcs and contacts and taskforces that you would have when game was originally designed. So if you are trying to use mostly SO's you will have a tougher time.

11 minutes ago, Communistpenguin said:

I think a big issue is also just how FAST we level now. Back on live before level smoothing you could generally afford to keep yourself in SO's without too much trouble, simply because you had a longer time to get infl before your current SO's went red. Currently you have to actively turn off xp if you want to hit most of the same story arcs and contacts and taskforces that you would have when game was originally designed. So if you are trying to use mostly SO's you will have a tougher time.

On live, you really couldn't keep your SOs at +3 consistently until your 40s, IIRC.  But now you can auto-upgrade every SO whenever you want, versus back in the day you had to do it manually.

If you are really levelling so fast (PLing) you probably don't need or want to upgrade your SOs to +3 every level.

Who run Bartertown?

Just now, Yomo Kimyata said:

On live, you really couldn't keep your SOs at +3 consistently until your 40s, IIRC.  But now you can auto-upgrade every SO whenever you want, versus back in the day you had to do it manually.

If you are really levelling so fast (PLing) you probably don't need or want to upgrade your SOs to +3 every level.

I never said +3. But you could absolutely keep everything green pretty easily as early as the late 20's early 30's depending on how much you died. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Communistpenguin said:

I never said +3. But you could absolutely keep everything green pretty easily as early as the late 20's early 30's depending on how much you died. 

The auto-update option now defaults to +3 for every single SO you have slotted.  i appreciate the thought, but in practice it's a huge inf suck.

Who run Bartertown?