The Nevers

It starts slow but gets better. I liked it but I watch everything at double speed so I can't say it wouldn't be boring to someone without the speed force. It's at least not face palmingly stupid like so many super shows. As to plunking down money, that depends on how highly you value your money vs. how highly you value having a 6 episode half season of a reasonably intriguing show to watch.

• Like 1

I thought this show was pretty good actually. 

I am not sure what to make of this whole Victorian England and Victorian England EXPY's as a setting for a large number of "modern-ish" Fantasy series, but it seems like a real trend now.  Carnival Row, Shadow and Bone, Irregulars, Nevers, the 1st series of Penny Dreadful, probably more I've missed. 

But yeah, wait till the whole season is done I'd think, since the midseason end definitely isn't "resolved"  

21 hours ago, Haijinx said:

I am not sure what to make of this whole Victorian England and Victorian England EXPY's as a setting for a large number of "modern-ish" Fantasy series, but it seems like a real trend now.  Carnival Row, Shadow and Bone, Irregulars, Nevers, the 1st series of Penny Dreadful, probably more I've missed.

While admittedly the Victorian Era is ultimately a phase that current story writing is going through, it does have some elements of its nature that appeal to works like this.  It was an age of radical change, fantastical invention, significant engineering feats, and discovery.   All this was preserved in its writings which gave us heroes like Sherlock Holmes and Alan Quartermain, and fantastical worlds through the Lost Worlds genre of Verne, Wells, Conan Doyle, Haggard, and others. This in turn gave rise to the modern parallel of steampunk (still around), but also a lasting interest in their time period, or at least interpreting it.

1 minute ago, Techwright said:

While admittedly the Victorian Era is ultimately a phase that current story writing is going through, it does have some elements of its nature that appeal to works like this.  It was an age of radical change, fantastical invention, significant engineering feats, and discovery.   All this was preserved in its writings which gave us heroes like Sherlock Holmes and Alan Quartermain, and fantastical worlds through the Lost Worlds genre of Verne, Wells, Conan Doyle, Haggard, and others. This in turn gave rise to the modern parallel of steampunk (still around), but also a lasting interest in their time period, or at least interpreting it.

There is some Steam (well early Electro) Punk elements to the Nevers.  One of the characters has a sort of super invention power.   And it is pretty well done.   

I wonder about it all though.  Do they have some blocks in England somewhere that are basically a Victorian London preserved that they film all these shows in?  Just kind of curious since they all look really similar, but also very believable.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Vee said:

I would think there'd be no shortage of Victorian looking set locations in England given the sheer volume of shows/movies set in that period since forever.

Guess it depends on how you define forever lol.

It seems like a recent increasing trend to me.   

But then again I'm that age where I don't think of 80's movies as "old movies"