Are you excited about the future of the MCU?

Don't we all, dear boy. Sadly, the money from butts on seats is what primarily pays for them.

(Well, and the kind of arcane dark accountancy that would terrify the Circle Of Thorns. The "rolling break-even" is particularly evil...)

You have to wonder if epic summer tentpole movies on the Marvel/Bond/DC level will have to get shelved in favour of smaller, cheaper, more streaming-friendly versions for a while. Given what Favreau managed to achieve on a (relatively) micro-budget for The Mandalorian, using new filming techniques, it's certainly possible to get epic movie feels without breaking the bank. It would also allow for a wider range of storytelling.

https://www.ft.com/content/a44b5c22-0b44-4c34-8f67-5540db152182

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND MEDIOCRITIES!

Look out for me as: Miss Dream Weaver (Reunion, Psi/Emp), Ranger Emily (Excelsior, AR/Devices), Dr Amy Weaver MD (Excelsior, DP/Emp)

9 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  • Quantumania - July 28th 2023

Reasoning is that while Shang-Chi was a hit in pandemic-era terms, it still underperformed compared to other Marvel movies.
Giving the industry more time to adjust seems wise. 

I've still not seen Shang-Chi though I look forward to it.  I was puzzled, after Disney put several other movies in Disney + at premium prices, to find it was not doing the same.  I haven't bought into that concept yet, but Shang-Chi probably would have been the first one. 

And the way they're pushing things back, Michael Douglas is going to be in a nursing home before a fourth Ant Man film gets started. (Assuming Hank lives through Quantumania).

Without being a Marvel insider, I can't tell you the reason why (and would have Feige sending the killer robots after me if I was/did.)

Maybe they just thought the markets would support this one better than Black Widow as more things were open: maybe it was an experiment: maybe they thought there'd be more piracy given they launched this one heavily in China. (Having worked briefly in the Chinese VoD sector, a 30-second video saying that Xi Jinping resembles Winnie the Pooh will get taken down almost instantly and probably earn you a trip to Qincheng, whereas a full length rip of a Hollywood movie... the censor teams can happily watch through - for cultural inspection reasons, of course - and then leave alone.)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND MEDIOCRITIES!

Look out for me as: Miss Dream Weaver (Reunion, Psi/Emp), Ranger Emily (Excelsior, AR/Devices), Dr Amy Weaver MD (Excelsior, DP/Emp)