Inherent Dam Weakness/Res

xl8

Rock/Paper/Scissors...

It would be a significant boon to the game if each toon were allotted a 20% inherent res/weakness to their power choice and it's opposing element; fire/cold and vice versa, neg/nrg, smash/psi, lethal/toxic.

Yes, many tanks would have a "weakness" but where the game currently sits, this would make for more challenging and involving gameplay.

Obviously the balance in game isn't equal and most damage comes in different forms, but this could be partially negated by making any form of say, smashing damage, follow this rule.

Lethal would benefit the most, as toxic damage isn't common, but inherent res to lethal damage is already throughout the game, so users are already limited on respect.

The proposed idea would work better if it was elemental fire/ice, water/earth... but this would involve too many mechanic tweaks.

• Thumbs Down 2

I can't say this definitively, but I recall early on that there was going to be this concept of certain powerset or origins being strong vs certain enemies and weak vs others, which was scrapped, due to players either choosing origins to work around this, or targeting/avoiding certain enemy groups for this reason.  Frankly, certain powerset are already stronger/weaker vs different damage types and/or sources already, so why not just go with those...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2021 at 10:35 AM, biostem said:

<snip> ... Frankly, certain powerset are already stronger/weaker vs different damage types and/or sources already, so why not just go with those...

Not to mention up until relative recent issues/sets Psi and Toxic were and still are almost always a whole lot less resisted (and lacked defense against) on top of things like fire vs a fire Tanker.   

Confused about what the goal here is given the above post by biostem is accurate to my recollections as well.  Players will largely move away from combating those mobs, they'll just avoid them like they currently avoid Carnies as an example.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:35 AM, biostem said:

Frankly, certain powerset are already stronger/weaker vs different damage types and/or sources already, so why not just go with those.

With the rock/paper/scissors system there would always be a weakness, which would make for a more interesting game. Especially if you're facing a group like the council with various damage types. This is something hero epics have to deal with in quants. I think it would good for all toons to have an Achilles'.

On 9/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

Players will largely move away from combating those mobs, they'll just avoid them like they currently avoid Carnies as an example.

I agree, which is why I'd diversify damage types and include a secondary type on NPCs that don't already have one. There's many ways to roll this out and many tweaks that can be made in response to players needs and the new challenges that arise.

30 minutes ago, xl8 said:

I agree, which is why I'd diversify damage types and include a secondary type on NPCs that don't already have one. There's many ways to roll this out and many tweaks that can be made in response to players needs and the new challenges that arise.

With the devs revamping the Warriors, I could easily see, for instance, Council members using the pistol attacks and special ammo or beam rifle attacks, alongside the more traditional AR-based ones...