Level perks change suggestion

mwr013

I am thinking it would be interesting if when you level you can choose between getting a new power or adding enhancement slots. This would allow players to choose between strength and versatility.  There could still be limits on how many secondary pools you could choose, much the way that some of them are mutually exclusive now, and of course the six slot limit on each power. Once you are out of choices for powers it would revert to slots only.  It may also be possible to award additional enhancement slots beyond level 50 but at a slower rate, similar to the Empyrean Merits or Accolades that are currently granted. 

• Thumbs Down 3

I would totally love to be level 26 and have what...all my powers and no slots? There's a reason the system is the way it is. Oh, and vet level 10,000 toons with 90-slotted Assassin' Strike. 😛

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Well the Idea of more enhancement slots past 50 is kinda nice and was discussed on Live too, but it shouldnt mean 90 slotted assasins strike, the 6 slots per power rule still would be enforced.

It should more be a way to complete the Powers u choose which i sometimes have difficulties too (Kheldians especially) but thats Variance decisions and manageable.

HC Dev mentioned in an other Post they work on a content that was even hard for Incarnate +3 Chars, maybe this could be implemented with that :).

Although it needs to be examined closely so we dont just get another round of just Power Creep.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

The max cap, is 50.  There is nothing beyond it.  Every time you ding a vet level, its just 50 all over again for a shiny explosion of light to give a feeling of accomplishment.  It rewards nothing because it means nothing and was just a way to keep people invested in playing the same character back on live.  Like a minor milestone in life, makes behavior feel like a great achievement because it shows 9,001 vet levels.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I dont remember getting XP on Live past 50 at all (Incarnate XP excluded of course) and i played till the announcement of the shutdown came (was in the middle of a TF that fell apart when the news in chat channels came up) , i always thought this was a HC change.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

1 hour ago, SuggestorK said:

I dont remember getting XP on Live past 50 at all (Incarnate XP excluded of course) and i played till the announcement of the shutdown came (was in the middle of a TF that fell apart when the news in chat channels came up) , i always thought this was a HC change.

Even if its an HC only function, let me ask you this

Are level 1 hellions grey at 50? 

Are level 6 Clock work in Atlas (upper right corner map, near perez park) Purple to you at level 1?

How many level 54 are even con at vet level 4?  How many 54 are grey at vet level 10 ?  Why at vet level 100 do you do the same damage as a level 50 (before vet 1) against a +54, yet your damage increases to laughable levels when smacking around a level 1?

Vet levels are just a status number, its a way to get cheap incarnate pieces which you will max out on what you need by Vet 20.  After that, vet levels mean nothing but that its your favorite character or its a fire brute.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

Honestly I don't think the game could handle even trying this, potential brokenness aside.

(I *want* to say they tried some experiment with slots on a live beta and things went... more than sideways, but that could be faulty memory on my part.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Just 1 more and 2 more slots means just 1 and 2 more set bonuses.  I have characters that needed just 1 more slot for their build and im not for any additional slots.

I was upset with the early nerfs that changed our super heroes into just heroes.  Then sets and set bonuses were added and we could be super again with some effort.

Now with incarnate abilities available to everyone its even easier.  And plain old xp unlocks all of the incarnate slots.

Players are plenty powerful now and if there is content coming thats difficult for +3 incarnates then i welcome it.  Because if 'difficult' means controllers hold a boss and support sets actually get used and everything isnt an AoE faceroll then it means the devs are making new flavors of candy.  Not the same flavor repackaged over and over. 

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, TheZag said:

I have characters that needed just 1 more slot for their build and im not for any additional slots.

"Just one more" slot, alt, beer, bump, it's all kind of the same in the book of human nature.

• Like 1

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

There was a short lived bug on live for just kheldians I recall, before the coming of ED, that allowed them to put as many slots as they wanted in a single power. It was a glorious few days of hilarity as many  a PB flitted through the sky with a super fast combat flight and just used eye beams to one shot hamidon. Yeah it didnt last long sadly. But wont like it was some of the craziest amusement I had in this park.

Not sure about the OP idea..but I reckon it would be cool and helpful if levels that awarded a new power came WITH the CHOICE of an additional slot, for that new power only.

It is really annoying (well kinda annoying) to think 'Oh yay, lvl X finally! I can get power Y and it will be awesome!' Then you get said awesome power..and it is a PoS (relatively) because it only has one slot.

If you hit the level, picked the power (coming with teh first basic slot) AND also got an extra one (only for said new power), that would help by at least being able to slot an attack power for 1 acc + 1 dam, or a toggle for 2 end red. Then at your next level up (which would be 2 or 3 slots, depending), you get one LESS slot, because you already choose an extra one.

3 hours ago, Triumphant said:

Clearly not.

Still a garbage idea. If you don't like the endgame, roll an alt. We didn't have vet levels or any rewards after 50. Now we do. 

19 hours ago, Greycat said:

Honestly I don't think the game could handle even trying this, potential brokenness aside.

(I *want* to say they tried some experiment with slots on a live beta and things went... more than sideways, but that could be faulty memory on my part.)

You Remember correctly that why we only got one extra slot on lvl 50 lvl up cause it would somehow majorly break the game code or something like that, but still what goes wrong one time may be better made next time 🙂 .

Edited by SuggestorK

Former Player on Server:

13 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Not sure about the OP idea..but I reckon it would be cool and helpful if levels that awarded a new power came WITH the CHOICE of an additional slot, for that new power only.

It is really annoying (well kinda annoying) to think 'Oh yay, lvl X finally! I can get power Y and it will be awesome!' Then you get said awesome power..and it is a PoS (relatively) because it only has one slot.

If you hit the level, picked the power (coming with teh first basic slot) AND also got an extra one (only for said new power), that would help by at least being able to slot an attack power for 1 acc + 1 dam, or a toggle for 2 end red. Then at your next level up (which would be 2 or 3 slots, depending), you get one LESS slot, because you already choose an extra one.

Ive pondered an idea on this issue off and on. Along the lines of what if when a power only has a single slot giving it an inherent boost to all %s equal to what a DO gives. This bonus would vanish the moment a 2nd slot is given to a power. This would at least make a new power pick feel like it has a touch of oomph to it before you can invest slots into it. Down side is it is technically power creep to any power we tend to use as a single slot special IO mule would get a bit of a boost. However i dont think powers that get used as an lotg mule like vengeance would be that game break if when it did get used now and then it had those modest % increases I suggest.

10 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Still a garbage idea. If you don't like the endgame, roll an alt. We didn't have vet levels or any rewards after 50. Now we do. 

You have much to learn about the art of civil discourse and debate. A statement like the above would get you removed from a formal debate and likely kicked from a debate team for life. It quite literally invalidates anything you have or could further argue to make such a statement as you have here.

And no I do not think the idea remotely adds something better to the game and would not agree with nor endorse it. However you need to learn to construct actual arguments rather then insults and denigrating language to try and push your pov.

In other words if this was a formal debate, your post actually gets the other side points. Was that your goal to help the OP get their wish? Because that is what your post is basically doing.