Any new system, update or new costume pieces coming soon? I think its needed

Mariposa

Just now, Yomo Kimyata said:

I read that as "gnushy", which totally should be a word.  I have no idea what it would mean, but I like the way it looks and sounds.

They're afraid of adding gnus as MM pets to the game.

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I read that as "gnushy", which totally should be a word.  I have no idea what it would mean, but I like the way it looks and sounds.

Someone who is timid around gnus, obviously!

Alternately, for some reason I think of just slightly overripe or soft fruit... "This apple's a little gnushy."

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The last two Loot updates were pretty good. That was Artillery + Bombardment first, two cone-friendly sets with useful bonuses. Then the End Mod sets which again widened the use cases for them (some were more damaging).

I think Slows, Stuns and debuff IOs could have a few extra sets added in the same way with saner or more interesting enhancement values and options.

I can also totally understand why we haven't seen more purple sets, for fear of power creep.

Edit. I have been slightly disappointed by the lack of new Cossie pieces but again I understand the time constraints involved make it harder. Asynchronous shoulder, boot and glove options are fab.

Edited by Carnifax

@Vulpoid, you've expressed that sentiment before, and I find it utterly baffling.  Why rob so many other players of the joy of making new friends, or teaching new players the ropes, or sharing in uniting experiences with strangers?  If you want something private, then a private server may be more your speed.  Homecoming isn't private.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 4:19 AM, TheZag said:

I think some npc costume pieces remain npc only for several reasons. 

Saw this and actually got an answer - it's multiple things:

- Not a unique piece that is part of a specific NPC's signature look
-Are available on all three genders on the standard player body shape (don't require model adjustments)
-Are color tintable
-No egregious clipping issues depending on where it's located on the body and what slot it takes

This was from a conversation about NPC pieces with one of the devs - so if it hasn't been added yet it's either because it fails one of these qualifications or its on the 'to do' list which is hypothetically always growing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

6 hours ago, Number Six said:

There's some stuff coming to beta fairly soon.

The big problem with adding "loot" is that there's already a lot of power creep in the game, and adding more of that is not a recipe for a healthy game unless there's something to do with that higher power level. That's why a lot of our focus has been on getting the content creation pipeline flowing, so that there is a steady stream of fresh missions, task forces, etc. to lessen the repetitiveness.

And so far you folks have done some really cool things, SBB, Market Crash, those new arcs in Kings Row, etc.

Also, the new IO sets have been noticed and appreciated, at least by me.  😄

On 9/11/2021 at 2:01 AM, Mariposa said:

Haven't played the game in a while after leveling and slotting many alts.

I think the game needs some kind of updates even if they are small ones. I know the team is small, but why not unlock certain costume pieces at least?

Like NPCs weapons for back slot, think dual katanas and weapons overall. NPCs hairstyles, like Desdemona or Mother Mayhem, the hoods with hair the Oracles have, stuff like that?

I kinda wish there was some NPCs costume pieces unlocked for us. Why are the HC devs so reticent to do this?

See my previous post for some of the things that have been done here on HC.

Having said that, let me be very clear about my next statement:  I'm not trying to drive you away.

BUT you might check out Rebirth.  They've done a lot with costumes and I think they have a couple of ATs that aren't part of the lineup here on HC.  I've wanted to pop over there and check it out myself, but barely have enough hours in the day to sign onto HC regularly.

The HC team doesn't "innovate" (for lack of a better word) as much as say Thunderspy or Rebirth, but the servers have far fewer bugs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

Looter motivation is a core motivation in the RPG genre ... new loot and new ways to create a build with that loot is a core mechanic of the genre ... if ignored kills player interest like nothing else ... to deflect or argue against this suggest to me you actually want to keep HC from ever growing ...

I understand that loot is very important to some players, but let's keep it in perspective. Just because it's something that you want doesn't mean that it's the only thing people want, or that you are empowered to speak for all players. I personally don't give much thought to loot. I don't care for crafting and I don't care about the marketplace — never have, never will. The introduction of Wentworth's didn't keep me from taking a break, back in the day, and Invention IOs lost their shine very quickly after building out one character.

I don't doubt that acquisition is something that motivates some players, but let's not overstate the case.

• Thanks 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

52 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

The HC team doesn't "innovate" (for lack of a better word)

Eh, I disagree. I think more so it is that HC cares to take its time and thoroughly test things out. Innovative things - whatever they may be - take time to get right. Which is what is appreciated compared to blindly throwing darts - the Thunderspy approach basically.

Though it's been vague and tease-y, there is innovative things coming down the road.

• Thumbs Up 3

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

9 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Eh, I disagree. I think more so it is that HC cares to take its time and thoroughly test things out. Innovative things - whatever they may be - take time to get right. Which is what is appreciated compared to blindly throwing darts - the Thunderspy approach basically.

Though it's been vague and tease-y, there is innovative things coming down the road.

You left off the "...as much as Thunderspy or Rebirth".  Yes, HC innovates, but they like to keep their/our servers more stable and bug free, so they proceed more cautiously, i.e. slowly.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Hew said:

duplicate post 😐

You're starting to look a little fenced in there...

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Unfortunately it is unlikely that any new content would challenge a fully incarnated twinked out char.........

Haha you'll see...

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

4 hours ago, VileTerror said:

Why rob so many other players of the joy of making new friends, or teaching new players the ropes, or sharing in uniting experiences with strangers?

You are right, of course. I am a cranky hermit.
What we are doing is still in a legal grey area, and I just get nervous that we will lose the cool experience of being able to play again.
Think of it as a high school reunion. I love the group , know them well...But don't need to invite the class of 2021?
I hear you , though...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 hours ago, Number Six said:

There's some stuff coming to beta fairly soon.

The big problem with adding "loot" is that there's already a lot of power creep in the game, and adding more of that is not a recipe for a healthy game unless there's something to do with that higher power level. That's why a lot of our focus has been on getting the content creation pipeline flowing, so that there is a steady stream of fresh missions, task forces, etc. to lessen the repetitiveness.

Number 6! Thanks for commenting here. The game is definitely stale but still appreciated. I've asked a few times about creating an AE based system where players can contribute and missions can be added on a frequent basis. I'm hoping this system is in the works. It would be impossible for the Dev team to keep up so here's to that.

I also think making new costume pieces unlockable after missions or reward items is a cool option.

How about adding more temp reward powers after TFs/SFs etc? I always enjoyed the Coral temps like the Coral Amulet where it allows you to summon Coralax Gaurdian. It's not a big deal nor a game changer but it's fun to have this and it gives you a few hours of game time before it expires. 

I think you could do a lot of little things like that but I digress. The AE system seems like a win win to me.

4 hours ago, Col. Kernel said:

See my previous post for some of the things that have been done here on HC.

Having said that, let me be very clear about my next statement:  I'm not trying to drive you away.

BUT you might check out Rebirth.  They've done a lot with costumes and I think they have a couple of ATs that aren't part of the lineup here on HC.  I've wanted to pop over there and check it out myself, but barely have enough hours in the day to sign onto HC regularly.

The HC team doesn't "innovate" (for lack of a better word) as much as say Thunderspy or Rebirth, but the servers have far fewer bugs.

Why don't you 'pop' over there and check out the quality of their work. I'm sure you'll last a whole 20 mins or so. I checked out that stuff and its of such poor quality with awful clipping and animations...I could go on. 

9 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

YES!
Exactly.  I hate people. Why the constant perverse desire to expand the playerbase?
If I wanted to meet new people or expand my social circles in anyway I would shut off my computer and go outside. 
The very last thing I need is metaphoric new neighbors throwing loud parties and shooting off bottle rockets riding ATVs in the woods behind my house.
I do not understand the desire to ruin the things you love by sharing them with strangers.
Let's just keep this video game between us.. please.

Maybe this is just Poe's Law at work but I honestly can't tell if this is a serious take.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube