Donations

I would love to see a change to the donation process next month. I missed the chance to donate this month and actually was kind of upset. Here is how I think it should be:

Donations open for 24 hours with a maximum donation of $5 per account.

If after 24 hours the goal has not been met then it is opened to regular donations of any amount.

This will allow more people to actually donate. I know it seems silly because "Why would we do that when we can get the funds in an hour?" Well... because some of us would like to actually be able to support the game financially. It makes us feel more invested in the future of the game. I can't sit by my computer on the first of each month hoping I get in that 30 minute window to actually donate. This would would make me feel a lot better knowing that even my $5 went towards keeping the lights on.

The problem (not necessarily for you, from the sounds of it, but for a lot of people) with 'feeling more invested in the future of the game', is if NCSoft decides "Wait, that's illegal" and sends Homecoming LLC a C&D, then your inestment is kaput, and a lot of people (when it's not a literal investment and you're 'just' getting a game and a sense of satisfaction out of it rather than any financial return, as in this case) think that an investment in a product is akin to 'paying for something', and therefore think that if that 'something' has a Critical Existence Failure then they're being 'cheated' and 'paid for this and now can't use it'. This would, as you can imagine, result in a lot of backlash for Homecoming LLC if they ever wanted to get involved in making their own product such as a CoH spiritual successor like City of Titans/Phoenix Project sort of thing, just look at what happened to the Yogscast's rep as game publishers when Winterkewl Games went under and Yogventures failed to materialize because of it.

No one is saying anyone HAS to donate, but I know many people who WANT to donate that missed the donation window since it closes so fast. I am willing to bet the majority of players would gladly donate $5 a month considering they are playing 10-20-30-40 hours a week - $5 for that much entertainment a month is pretty cheap. I just feel that those who truly want to donate, but can't be here the 30-45 mins that donations are open should be allowed to contribute.

The problem (not necessarily for you, from the sounds of it, but for a lot of people) with 'feeling more invested in the future of the game', is if NCSoft decides "Wait, that's illegal" and sends Homecoming LLC a C&D, then your inestment is kaput, and a lot of people (when it's not a literal investment and you're 'just' getting a game and a sense of satisfaction out of it rather than any financial return, as in this case) think that an investment in a product is akin to 'paying for something', and therefore think that if that 'something' has a Critical Existence Failure then they're being 'cheated' and 'paid for this and now can't use it'. This would, as you can imagine, result in a lot of backlash for Homecoming LLC if they ever wanted to get involved in making their own product such as a CoH spiritual successor like City of Titans/Phoenix Project sort of thing, just look at what happened to the Yogscast's rep as game publishers when Winterkewl Games went under and Yogventures failed to materialize because of it.

I'm sure I'll get crucified for my thoughts, so I'll start out with disclaimers

1.) I'm playing CoH on Homecoming everyday

2.) I did do a June Donation ($25)

3.) I'm a big fan of the devs and admins, and the considerable amount of time, $$, and risk they've invested

My thoughts -

Homecoming LLC needs to be really careful about this financial process, since it will be the #1 reason this project gets shutdown and the #1 cause of true legal jeopardy for their efforts (not saying those things will for certain happen, just that the $$ is the #1 risk).

Currently they are setup as a for-profit SMLLC (That is to say as a business with a single human owner).  Any money right now can't be considered a donation, but rather a gift from us, and taxable income for the owner of Homecoming LLC.  So right now, the smaller # of givers, and the smaller window of opportunity at least gives the appearance that they aren't trying to setup a "subscriber base" with a recurring income base.  Better to show a short need, get the money from the smallest possible audience, and get out to give another unnamed company less reason to really worry about what's happening here.

I'm sure someone will say - "come, on, we are talking about days, instead of minutes, it's not that big a deal, and it's the same amount of money".

Maybe, maybe not, but if a certain company senses we are walking a slippery slope, they might feel the need to intervene sooner...My thoughts - why poke the bear...this is probably the least offensive, most trustworthy way to collect money until/if they have a non-profit setup...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting