Sorry to bother people need some help

I-Dirty

23 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I can try running it and see what time I get. Definitely will need either some tweaks or my Lore to distract the ambush since I tried to solo the ITF on normal mode and almost could do it but in the end I got slowed to a crawl and not even Barrier and Ice Patch was enough. I have another build with 65% -recharge though. That ambush atop the hill is just too much with 20+ bosses who all do -recharge and -defense.

You can avoid triggering the space lobster ambush. Just stay away from the whole front section of the area, where front is where the stairs  are. I fly straight up from the cave, and I try to not advance farther than the oracle, but I'm not sure exactly where the triggering area is. 

Other tricks I've used when going for speed instead of a kill most:

• Just rescue the Sybils, don't take down the big spawns. Probably an obvious one.
  • Just destroy the Shadow Cysts and ignore everything else. Probably not doable on Fire, as it wasn't on my Dark, just too many debuffs to handle. In that case, kill everything around the cysts and leave the cysts with just a few hit points. Then destroy all the cysts on a second pass ignoring the ambushes. They'll have a hard time catching up to you.
  • I'm not sure if turning off burning aura and doing this would go easier or faster for Fire, but rather than killing them, you can run through the crowd in front of Romulus to hit the aggro cap, then drag them to him. Then you can generally deal with the AVs one at a time. Less worry about survivability, plus on Shield at least, a big damage boost.
  • When you're down to just Romulus, drag him over to the door to the right of the platform where the spawns spawn. They won't spawn, so won't interrupt your damage or have even a chance to heal him.

I'd love it if anyone has other suggestions for solo ITF speed, and I apologize for being off topic. Also, while I started a kill most ITF yesterday, it's been a while and I haven't finished and it was a kill most, so if there have been any changes that might affect these strategies, I wouldn't know. It did seem like their defense was higher that I remembered.

Edited by Werner
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Werner said:

You can avoid the space lobster ambush. Just stay away from the whole front section of the area, where front is where the stairs  are. I fly straight up from the cave, and I try to not advance farther than the oracle, but I'm not sure exactly where the triggering area is. 

Other tricks I've used when going for speed instead of a kill most:

• Just rescue the Sybils, don't take down the big spawns. Probably an obvious one.
  • Just destroy the Shadow Cysts and ignore everything else. Probably not doable on Fire, as it wasn't on my Dark, just too many debuffs to handle. In that case, kill everything around the cysts and leave the cysts with just a few hit points. Then destroy all the cysts on a second pass ignoring the ambushes. They'll have a hard time catching up to you.
  • I'm not sure if turning off burning aura and doing this would go easier or faster for Fire, but rather than killing them, you can run through the crowd in front of Romulus to hit the aggro cap, then drag them to him. Then you can generally deal with the AVs one at a time. Less worry about survivability, plus on Shield at least, a big damage boost.
  • When you're down to just Romulus, drag him over to the door to the right of the platform where the spawns spawn. They won't spawn, so won't interrupt your damage or have even a chance to heal him.

I'd love it if anyone has other suggestions for solo ITF speed, and I apologize for being off topic. Also, while I started a kill all ITF yesterday, it's been a while and I haven't finished and it was a kill most, so if there have been any changes that might affect these strategies, I wouldn't know. It did seem like their defense was higher that I remembered.

I knows, I've done all of those when soloing the ITF twice. Once normal and once with all the modifiers. But doing the ambush on purpose is the point. Can we really call it the ITF and soloing it without that ocean of seafood at the top?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sovera said:

I knows, I've done all of those when soloing the ITF twice. Once normal and once with all the modifiers. But doing the ambush on purpose is the point. Can we really call it the ITF and soloing it without that ocean of seafood at the top?

Well, it's certainly more FUN with that ocean of seafood!

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, I-Dirty said:

ok someone tell me what to do! OMG 😜

Haha, yeah. But there's no right answer, just a bunch of good answers. A number have been presented, and there are some pros and cons in there as well. Nothing wrong with the Shield/Rad you were starting, so if you want to keep things simple, you could just stick with it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Xandyr said:

Make sure to slot the Uniques (Numina's, Performance Shifter, Miracle, etc). That'll help. Plus, being able to soft cap fairly easily with Shield, you should be able to focus a couple extra slots on attack, Health/Stamina (for those procs I mentioned), and can always take Energy Mastery for your Epic power pool so you can get  Physical Perfection.

i see the logic however i disagree with taking physical perfection - i think it only gives about 25% regen? if you 4 slot a ranged mastery power with 2 apocalypse (12% regen) and 2 devastation (10% regen) you’re pretty much there

2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

i see the logic however i disagree with taking physical perfection - i think it only gives about 25% regen? if you 4 slot a ranged mastery power with 2 apocalypse (12% regen) and 2 devastation (10% regen) you’re pretty much there

Base values, Physical Perfection provides half of what Health and Stamina's base values have.  I think it's something like .23, don't know the exact number.  Still, that's a fair bit for a single power pick, and it's another spot to drop a Performance Shifter if endurance is an issue.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

13 hours ago, I-Dirty said:

ok someone tell me what to do! OMG 😜

Your original choice of a SD/RAD tanker is probably, overall, the most powerful character in the current iteration of CoH.

Shield covers all the critical survivability needs: maxHP, defense, defense debuff resistance, resistance, slow resistance, full mez protection, slow resistance.

It also shares some of that defense to close teammates through Grant Cover.

It lacks a heal. But Rad Melee offers a reliable heal.

It lacks endurance management. One can always manage end through amplifiers, recovery serum, heavy end reduction slotting, endurance procs, epics, incarnates.

Rad Melee does tremendous DPS if proc slotted. This is very endurance intensive and not necessarily the way you want to go. For a more balanced build, slot Irradiated Ground with 4 damage procs and the 2 -RES procs. If one of these damage procs is the Armageddon purple damage proc, you will see that Irradiated Ground can take down level 54 bosses in a minute or two, without any input on your end.

So, you procslot IG, and you're free to do with the rest of the attacks as you wish. Which leaves you ample room to either go defense, balanced, or full offense.

The only downside that I can see to this combo (that I'm willing to accept others see, to me it's not truly a downside) is you have to wait until level 28 to get Irradiated Ground. Before that, all you have for AoE is Proton Sweep, which is a poor cone I wouldn't bother with. Personally, I don't see it as a problem. Rad Melee's contamination effect does some work turning your single target attacks into small AoEs, and the average character spends much more time at combat levels 23-50 than at combat levels 1-22 (once exemplared, you keep powers 5 levels above you).

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, I-Dirty said:

yeah i was looking at SR but concerned with what someone posted in the other post about some weakness SR has zero defense to (sappers?)

Thought Ice Melee wasnt very strong...IDK

SR/Claws sounds fun too

IDK

Damn this brain of mine!!

Right it doesn't have end-drain resist, but the Sappers will hardly ever hit you. Neither will Carnies, when they die and do that PBAoE endurance drain.  Everyone fears carnies, but you'll be all "eh, lets punch their stupid face masks".

BUT if you're worried, just take Elude. Single-slot panic button. If you get drained you do a double-backflip and suddenly it's like you got a Speed Boost, Accelerate Metabolism, Force Fields, and a couple other buffs - you'll be back at the soft-cap, recovering endurance, and running twice as fast as normal, so you're instantly back in the fight and recovering endurance while not running ANY toggles. Or just save a blue insp for emergencies.

The other amazing thing about SR and Shield is that since hardly any attacks land on you, you won't get hit with as many mez effects. Like, after playing SR and Shield for years I finally started trying Fire Armor, Bio, and Radiation and couldn't believe how many times I'd get held by the Vampires on Moonfire, feared, or some other funky mez effect because every single mez was landing and could stack enough to hold through the mez protection.  BUT the trade-off is that Rularuu and those toxic monsters in the Apex TF get cheap shots right at your HP.

If you didn't know, you can go on the Test server, roll your toon, use the chat menu to boost it to 50, give it a crapton of IOs, and then run some missions to see how you like it.  That's quicker and less expensive than doing a powerlevel to just try out a powerset.

Another super fun combo is Bio/Dark Melee but you need a good/expensive build to soft-cap the defense, maximize resists and slow resist.

Edited by ninja surprise
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, I-Dirty said:

ok stupid question time. How do you get to the Test server?

Also, I have a Shield/Radiation Tanker, and it's hell on wheels. It may have some slow spots leveling up, but it's a monster once you get Irradiated Ground Procslotted up. Happy Tanking!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BZRKR said:

Also, I have a Shield/Radiation Tanker, and it's hell on wheels. It may have some slow spots leveling up, but it's a monster once you get Irradiated Ground Procslotted up. Happy Tanking!

thanks

working on it now. Im 24 now...Im super fast 😄

• Like 1

Why yes I do know what a search feature is. However with the 1000 returns it is hard to dig through all that. So I ask in posts.

33 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

The other amazing thing about SR and Shield is that since hardly any attacks land on you, you won't get hit with as many mez effects. Like, after playing SR and Shield for years I finally started trying Fire Armor, Bio, and Radiation and couldn't believe how many times I'd get held by the Vampires on Moonfire, feared, or some other funky mez effect because every single mez was landing and could stack enough to hold through the mez protection. 

Yeah, I am having a similar issue having played mostly defense-based Stalkers.  I came to tankers and tried starting a SD/Rad.  But Rad Melee is just so uninspiring to me.  I rolled a Rad/Staff and shot to 50 in no time.  Hilarious fun with bountiful big Tanker-buffed AoEs on short timers.

But the getting hit all the time part is a drag when it comes to debuffs (particularly toHit) and confuse/fear.  

Maybe I'll try a SD/Ice or SR/Staff next instead.   I've got a SD/DM going but DM is about as boring as Rad Melee so far.  Or I'll give Werner's SD/MA a whirl.  Sounds fun.  Boots to the head and all.  That +def Storm Kick is pretty nice looking, even if it's sort of lacking AoE.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Base values, Physical Perfection provides half of what Health and Stamina's base values have.  I think it's something like .23, don't know the exact number.  Still, that's a fair bit for a single power pick, and it's another spot to drop a Performance Shifter if endurance is an issue.

yeah i see that argument, when slotted it’ll have some better numbers

i feel the set may be a bit of a lackluster one trick pony, tanks are spoilt with many good mastery choices 🙂

5 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Or I'll give Werner's SD/MA a whirl.  Sounds fun.  Boots to the head and all.  That +def Storm Kick is pretty nice looking, even if it's sort of lacking AoE.  

Keeping with earlier suggestions, give it a try on the test server! Low investment of time if you don't like it. I love it, but @Tsuko gave my build a whirl on test and it just wasn't for him. Everyone likes different things. Attack chain is storm kick -> crippling axe kick -> storm kick -> gloom -> thunder kick. I suggest Ageless Core unless you know you're going up against serious debuffers. That's the only time I switch to Ageless Radial, assuming I even remember.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

yeah i see that argument, when slotted it’ll have some better numbers

i feel the set may be a bit of a lackluster one trick pony, tanks are spoilt with many good mastery choices 🙂

Damn you! Now I want to make one named Ed Grubberman

• Haha 1

Why yes I do know what a search feature is. However with the 1000 returns it is hard to dig through all that. So I ask in posts.

7 minutes ago, Werner said:

I suggest Ageless Core unless you know you're going up against serious debuffers. That's the only time I switch to Ageless Radial, assuming I even remember.

Alas, I've fallen in with an unsavory crowd on Excelsior that likes to run the ITF with Incarnates disabled.  So I'd probably tweak the build with that in mind.  What looks good to me is the decent S/L/N resist and over-soft-capped defense with Storm Kick.  Those buffed Cimerorans do otherwise like to re-enact Julius Caesar on me if they can strip defenses.

My Ice/SD stalker and Rad/Staff tanker, so far... are not really up to it.  They get by.  But it's ugly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Alas, I've fallen in with an unsavory crowd on Excelsior that likes to run the ITF with Incarnates disabled.  So I'd probably tweak the build with that in mind.  What looks good to me is the decent S/L/N resist and over-soft-capped defense with Storm Kick.  Those buffed Cimerorans do otherwise like to re-enact Julius Caesar on me if they can strip defenses.

My Ice/SD stalker and Rad/Staff tanker, so far... are not really up to it.  They get by.  But it's ugly.

Buffed +4x8 no incarnates? I love it! Your crowd sounds delightful! Temporary powers? Inspirations? Amplifiers? I think a big issue will be endurance if you don't have at least one or two of those tools available. On a team you won't need the solo DPS the way I do, so I'd drop Soul Mastery to pick up Energy Mastery. If the team doesn't stack enough Tactics or other to hit buffs (I hope they do), you might need Focused Accuracy anyway to even hit them and to keep Storm Kick up reliably. I'd slot up Grant Cover more to help protect the team I think. Ugh, would you need to fit taunt in there too? Seems like a lot of pressure on power picks. Well, you know better than I do would what you and the team need so I'm sure you'll sort it out. But yeah, I suspect if that was the crowd I was running with, I'd bring my Shield Defense/Martial Arts Tanker, just make a second build with the rules in mind. One build for solo, one build for hanging out with your unsavory crowd. Good luck! 🙂

18 minutes ago, Werner said:

Buffed +4x8 no incarnates? I love it! Your crowd sounds delightful! Temporary powers? Inspirations? Amplifiers? I think a big issue will be endurance if you don't have at least one or two of those tools available. On a team you won't need the solo DPS the way I do, so I'd drop Soul Mastery to pick up Energy Mastery. If the team doesn't stack enough Tactics or other to hit buffs (I hope they do), you might need Focused Accuracy anyway to even hit them and to keep Storm Kick up reliably. I'd slot up Grant Cover more to help protect the team I think. Ugh, would you need to fit taunt in there too? Seems like a lot of pressure on power picks. Well, you know better than I do would what you and the team need so I'm sure you'll sort it out. But yeah, I suspect if that was the crowd I was running with, I'd bring my Shield Defense/Martial Arts Tanker, just make a second build with the rules in mind. One build for solo, one build for hanging out with your unsavory crowd. Good luck! 🙂

running TFs on enemies buffed without telling the team is also a fun pastime 😏

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Werner said:

Buffed +4x8 no incarnates? I love it! Your crowd sounds delightful! Temporary powers? Inspirations? Amplifiers? 

Yeah, buffed +4x8, debuffed team, no incarnates, no temps, no insps, no amps. Previously done by having a level 44 team lead that would force-exemp everyone to just below incarnate level but still leave all powers accessible.  They've just started running at 50 by getting everyone to just unslot all Incarnates.   I haven't tried that yet but it sounds more convenient than the level 44 route.  

I'll think on it.  The SD/DM is one attempt if I can keep him going.  Nice to have the self-heal.  But I level the slow way so it will be a little while before he's ready to run.  Same with anyone else.  So having one that's fun to play in normal content while leveling is key too.  That's where I'm struggling with DM.  MA sounds like it might be a bit more fun.

• Thumbs Up 1