Failed farmer

Diantane

1 minute ago, Diantane said:

Thought I would work my way up since those bonus IO sets cost a lot more than I have. Figured I would earn some farming little stuff and add as I go.

Honestly, with the place your build is right now, I'd suggest that farming just isn't very good for you.  Do arcs or TFs, get merits, turn the merits into enhancement converters, and either sell them or play enhancement roulette.  The point of farming is that you can kill substantially more enemies per second in a farm than in regular content.  If that's not true, then there's no point to farming.

• Thumbs Up 2

You are doing it wrong.  No other way to say it.  Was asked once.  Did you mean Fire Armor?  Because Fire Armor in a Fire farm, even on SOs, is fine. Maybe not at +4/x8 but decent at +1/x8.  Then you can start to get bank and build I/O.  Check forums (or i am sure a couple nice folks here posted farm builds) and get one.   People ise these things to AFK farm.  They load in then go watch youtube.  If you cannot actively farm with one….

• Like 1

@Diantane if you follow the low budget fire farmer guide that was linked above you'll have zero issues with influence and be able to afford a fully tricked out fire farmer by the end.  I did it from scratch in about a week.  No seed inf.  No boosting.  Just fire farm.  There are some very specific things you need to do with the build in order to achieve full 4/8 status.  You cannot get there with SOs.  You cannot get there with generic IOs.  You can get there with IO set bonuses, certain pool power picks, and incarnates.  The rad melee / fire armor brute is one of the best active farmers.  If you wanted AFK (which can still be done with the brute) it is easier to go with a fire armor/ rad melee tank.  But that is a preference and more academic in that they play almost identical and the difference when the numbers are run is minuscule.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why such terrible slotting? This is my common IO build. Again, I could do +2/x8.

Image 1

Image 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

59 minutes ago, Diantane said:

The character is Radiation Melee, Fiery Aura. Fire resistance is 63%.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

5 minutes ago, Diantane said:

My build:

Was your Fire Shield toggled on?  Looking at Mids, Fire Resistance drops from 90% to 63% when Fire Shield isn't on.

55 minutes ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

Was your Fire Shield toggled on?  Looking at Mids, Fire Resistance drops from 90% to 63% when Fire Shield isn't on.

I don't believe it! The fire shield wasn't on as you said. When it came on I capped at 90% fire resistance with just two SO's in each fire defense. So adding a third SO or switching to common IO's wouldn't do anything more. I am curious why you trained Fiery Embrace. That is to increase fire attacks. My guess that if you were a fire/fire brute, that would work, but otherwise.....    Just read that FE only affects FIRE attacks. Not burn and fire aura.

Anyway I was able to complete the AE tf and earn a million influence (that was on -1x4). Will turn that up and try again. Thank you all for your input!

Edited by Diantane
  • Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, Diantane said:

I don't believe it! The fire shield wasn't on as you said. When it came on I capped at 90% fire resistance with just two SO's in each fire defense. So adding a third SO wouldn't do anything. I am curious why you trained Fiery Embrace. That is to increase fire attacks. My guess that if you were a fire/fire brute, that would work, but otherwise.....    Just read that FE only affects FIRE attacks. Not burn and fire aura.

Anyway I was able to complete the AE tf and earn a million influence (that was on -1x4). Will turn that up and try again. Thank you all for your input!

Fiery Embrace gives fire damage to all your attacks now.

You don't need to slot two end redux in your toggles. Attacks should get one end redux. You also don't need two recharges in things. More so things without an end redux in them. You have way underslotted damage in your build.

Fiery Embrace has always added damage to non-fire attacks. Even if you are just using the damage aura and Burn, that's more than enough. More so if you pick up Fire as your epic to get Fireball.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

Unless they changed it I read that ED would give the third of the same enhancement a substantial reduction (can't remember the percentage). So unless you wanted to enhance the defense debuff or something else...

According to MIDS, Fiery Embrace only works for 20 seconds with a 3 minute cool-down. One recharge IO lowers it to to 126.4 seconds. Two is 98.19 secs. But adding a third only lowers it another 8 seconds (pretty bad). I can just imagine what little a third damage IO would do for you.

Edited by Diantane

6 minutes ago, Diantane said:

Unless they changed it I read that ED would give the third of the same enhancement a substantial reduction (can't remember the percentage). So unless you wanted to enhance the defense debuff or something else...

I wouldn’t worry too much about SO / generic IO advice. Now that you’ve figured out basic survival at 90% fire res, it’s only a matter of time before you move on to IO sets and replace the cheap stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Diantane said:

According to MIDS, Fiery Embrace only works for 20 seconds with a 3 minute cool-down. One recharge IO lowers it to to 126.4 seconds. Two is 98.19 secs. But adding a third only lowers it another 8 seconds (pretty bad). I can just imagine what little a third damage IO would do for you.

Schedule A Enhancements (33.33%, 16.66%, 8.35%) are:

Accuracy, Confuse, Damage, Defense DeBuff, Endurance Modification, Endurance Reduction, Fear, Fly, Heal, Hold, Immobilize, Intangible, Jump, Recharge, Run, Sleep, Slow, Stun, Taunt

These bonus types will see a 10% reduction when the bonus is 70% or more, a 30% reduction at 90%, and an 85% reduction at 100% or greater. Specifically, if you put six even-level Single Origin enhancements in one power, they will enhance the power to the following degree: 33.33%, 33.33%, 28.33%, 4.99%, 4.99%, 4.99%.

Three slotting for the main aspect in things has been the gold standard since ED happened.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Enhancement_Diversification

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

Well that might be true for some powers, but if I capped fire resistance with just two SO enhancements, why would you want to use three??

Slot bonuses from set ios.

If you are running on just SOs, I would have to look at how to wing that. But on stupid cheap set ios, you can get your 45+% fire def, some half decent recharge, and pew pew away.

You could totally frankenslot and still be successful with a build half SO and half ultra cheap set ios...

7 hours ago, Diantane said:

So I read that Rad/Fire Brutes are pretty good farmers. Make one and finally get him to 50. It was a hard struggle in teams because I died many, many times. End was also a major concern. Even with an end enh in every attack, consume was not enough. At 50 I got all enhancements to 50 SO's. Also running tough and weave fully slotted with SO's.

So I go  into AE Fire Farm with no lethal. Go in and my health dropped "very" fast. Was able to get out before dieing. Quit that task force and set missions to -1x8. Tried again and again health dropped rapidly. Tried again at -1x4 --- Died in 5 seconds.

Don't know what I read before, but this character sucks.

This is a joke right? You think you can farm with SO's? Your not only going to need a real build you will also need to unlock your incarnates, especially your hybrid melee.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Well, you may have to start small first and work your way up. Everyone does for their first character, whether its a farmer or not. Since you are a budget build I would try to focus on either DEF or RES first, and get one of those up to par. Either one will work, but I don't think you could do both on a budget, would be an interesting experiment to do though. Either way I doubt you will be able to make a full AFK farmer on a budget either, so you will have to pilot it until you get him geared up. 

But with any build, persistence is key. I also strongly recommend planning builds in MIDs if you haven't yet. It's difficult for people to point out improvements without seeing your build. But any improvement is better, and you may have to upgrade your IOs 1 at a time, starting with the important stuff first like the unique enhancements and so on, go for the biggest bang for your buck.

3 hours ago, Dazl said:

This is a joke right? You think you can farm with SO's? Your not only going to need a real build you will also need to unlock your incarnates, especially your hybrid melee.

Uh. No. You can farm with pretty much anything, at a level that is comfortable to you, and make progress towards goals. I know this, having run a farmer from 20 to 50, SOLO, and built the entire build as I went off content and proceeds that dropped to buy attuneds that would make it more profitable at 50. 

So no.  You do not need all that crap to farm if you keep your goals and capabilities focused on reality, and move slowly, _at your own pace_. Farming at 2x4 no bosses is no less farming than 4x8 and the kitchen sink; it just might be slower than what YOU think constitutes "farming".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Uh. No. You can farm with pretty much anything, at a level that is comfortable to you, and make progress towards goals. I know this, having run a farmer from 20 to 50, SOLO, and built the entire build as I went off content and proceeds that dropped to buy attuneds that would make it more profitable at 50. 

So no.  You do not need all that crap to farm if you keep your goals and capabilities focused on reality, and move slowly, _at your own pace_. Farming at 2x4 no bosses is no less farming than 4x8 and the kitchen sink; it just might be slower than what YOU think constitutes "farming".

LOL, ok good luck with that.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

6 hours ago, Dazl said:

LOL, ok good luck with that.

I solo farmed from level 2 and have a farmer which can do +4/x8 and just helped finish off a second character. So yeah, it worked out well for me.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

I'm far from a pro farmer, because of that I do keep combat attributes showing for fire res, fire def and damage.  The first two let me know right away if I have something detoggled.  The last one is for the extremely rare occasion I'm actively farming so I can monitor damage cap to manage how many red insps to use.

After playing since I6, I started my first-ever farmer about two weeks ago.  Rad/Fire Broot.  Went straight from chargen to Atlas, did street sweeping to level 4 (about a lap around City Hall), then into AE.  Did the Tunnel Witches farm (#3923) a couple times, then Noobz Fire Farm (#20440) and mostly the Comic Con Fire Farm (#2915) from there.  Leveled to 50 in a day, all incarnates to T3 in a second day. (I did pass down a couple Transcendent Merits and a couple dozen Hero Merits from my main to slot ATOs and Incarnates, but not much else got slotted until 50.)

I still need a respec to tweak power slotting, but I'm now farming +3/x8/Boss/EB without much trouble (not reliably AFK, but mostly using the auras and PBAoEs).  Fire Res capped but not Def.  Slotting KD procs in the two auras helps with mitigation.

Fire Farming is a specialized build, though--I ran my first non-AE missions last night (Heather Townsend's arc) and died a few times before toning down the difficulty.

Let your auras do their work, and don't be shy about using inspirations.  They'll drop from your kills like candy from a pinata.  I keep a column of acc/dam, one of res/def, and two of heal/end, just to have stuff I know I want.  The last column is empty for drops, which I pop as they drop (deleting rez).

• Thumbs Up 1