Failed farmer

Diantane

On 9/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, iBot said:

You've got to use IO sets and get your defenses and resistance capped for fire to survive at anything above 0x4.

Agreed on the IO sets, but you don't need such high defense.  I went cheap on my build and have 90% fire resist, only around 12% defense, but about +250% regen.  I can farm at 0x8.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

49 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Agreed on the IO sets, but you don't need such high defense.  I went cheap on my build and have 90% fire resist, only around 12% defense, but about +250% regen.  I can farm at 0x8.

I keep finding this narrative odd since I solo farmed with common IOs at +2/x8. Was it slow as I leaned on purples? Yes, but I farmed at that diff at level 50(pre-incarnate). I honestly can't recall when I switched over to that diff either so it might have been sooner. I know +3 was a bit suicidal until 50+1. Saying you need sets to do anything above 0x4 is, well, wrong.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

3 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I keep finding this narrative odd since I solo farmed with common IOs at +2/x8. Was it slow as I leaned on purples? Yes, but I farmed at that diff at level 50(pre-incarnate). I honestly can't recall when I switched over to that diff either so it might have been sooner. I know +3 was a bit suicidal until 50+1. Saying you need sets to do anything above 0x4 is, well, wrong.

On the other hand, is farming at 0x4, like...  useful?

I mean, if people enjoy farming for its own sake, far be it from me to criticize.  But if you are farming in the traditional sense, you're trying to get rewards rapidly.  And when you farm, you're giving up on the (substantially lucrative) merit rewards that you could get from TFs or story arcs.

Now, it seems clear that the increased efficiency of getting the "defeat an enemy" rewards more than compensates for the lack of merit rewards that you'd get...  if you are farming at 50 +4/x8.  But if you're farming at 0x4, and especially below level 50...  could you get better rewards just by doing ordinary content?  It's not clear to me that you're "farming" per se, rather than just, you know, "doing a fire-based map because I happen to enjoy this content" at that point.

If someone is looking to get rewards efficiently (and hates marketeering), then farming in the sense of +4/x8 extremely rapid kills (or AFK farming where you trade clock speed for amount of attention) is more efficient than other solo content, and probably also somewhat more efficient than team content.  I'd guess that +0/x4 farming is no more efficient than doing ordinary content, and less efficient than doing conventional team content.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:50 AM, Glacier Peak said:

I used Outrider's build in the thread and I farm Peregrine Island Portal missions for this purpose:

Who the hell listens to that idiot?  Guy is a moron.  Don't listen to him! lol 🤣

How is it working out? Never thought I would be useful in a build creation, more of a suggestion in how to go about it and point people in a direction they may customize it to their needs.

43 minutes ago, aethereal said:

On the other hand, is farming at 0x4, like...  useful?

Yeah, drops are faster.  Its not as efficiently in drop percentage, but if you can blitz through a few more missions in the same time as a +4/8 it averages out more.  I have to AFK farm with my SM/Fire on +3/8 as I used stealth to cap out defence; before they buffed it into Invisibility.  Used to be able to aggro stuff near by as they patrolled on Briggs maps, now they need to run through the Burn patch to get aggroed.

• Thanks 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

20 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Who the hell listens to that idiot?  Guy is a moron.  Don't listen to him! lol 🤣

How is it working out? Never thought I would be useful in a build creation, more of a suggestion in how to go about it and point people in a direction they may customize it to their needs.

Yeah, drops are faster.  Its not as efficiently in drop percentage, but if you can blitz through a few more missions in the same time as a +4/8 it averages out more.  I have to AFK farm with my SM/Fire on +3/8 as I used stealth to cap out defence; before they buffed it into Invisibility.  Used to be able to aggro stuff near by as they patrolled on Briggs maps, now they need to run through the Burn patch to get aggroed.

Point noted - I just remembered that, on live, at one point I did farm +0 every now and then in a desperate attempt to score a purple since those kinds of assets were out of reach for such a peasant.

If you are doing 0x4, you might as well do regular content. At least in that case story arcs gets you merits which can get you converters. Tanks, honestly should be doing at least 0x4 at some point depending on the mob. Granted, she is 50+1, but on common IOs and I run my brute on +1x8. She isn't that far into the other tiers either.

A counter point is farming at 0x4 can still be faster, but I would rather have the merits and enjoyable content where the build could get pushed dealing with troublesome mobs. That's where you learn the build and how to play it.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

38 minutes ago, Outrider_01 said:

Really well, like exactly what I needed on the secondary build. I've been farming a Freakshow PI portal map for the last influence badge and the build crushes just as well as the tailor made AE Fire Farm I use for my primary build. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 9/14/2021 at 8:16 PM, Dazl said:

This is a joke right? You think you can farm with SO's? Your not only going to need a real build you will also need to unlock your incarnates, especially your hybrid melee.

Not really true as countless guides have shown.  Most of us self-PL’d our farmers on straight SO’s, generic IO’s and inspiration combining macros from levels 1-50.  

Sure, once you get to 50, you’ll want to get your Incarnates and do full IO sets build to max out +4/x8 farming in fast active times or for AFK farming.  But before that just slowly dial up your difficulty until you have it all tricked out.

OP gotta ask….you said you were using a Fire Farm without S/L attacks.  Are you sure about that?  There’s dozens of poorly built fire farms in the AE that do, in fact, have critters dealing S/L damage.  One day I tested about two dozen “AFK” fire farms and at least half had S/L damage.

Mind telling us what AE map you are using?

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

Not really true as countless guides have shown.  Most of us self-PL’d our farmers on straight SO’s, generic IO’s and inspiration combining macros from levels 1-50.  

Sure, once you get to 50, you’ll want to get your Incarnates and do full IO sets build to max out +4/x8 farming in fast active times or for AFK farming.  But before that just slowly dial up your difficulty until you have it all tricked out.

Oh sure I understand working up to the full final build. That makes complete sense given how expensive a good farmer build can be. However coming to the forums and complaining your shiny new SO equipped farmer isn't cutting it just makes me laugh. I give him credit for making his own farmer, but it's going to takes a little more effort to make it do what they want.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

It's been said in here already. You can't get where you want to go (now) with SOs. Two SOs in Fire & Plasma Shield get you to exactly 63% fire resistance. Anecdotally, I started with my first farmer on SOs only. But, I knew about ATOs & Winter-Os, I was just waiting to afford them - and the other sets I wanted. In the meantime, the insp-combine macros were the only way I could get through 0/8 maps at level 38. I just ran regular content, getting the accolades & explorations for the merits. 

I felt like the only farmer that was using insp-combining macros to make purples instead of reds, lol. It's quite tedious being on the road to get the ATOs, IOs, etc. But, you can get there. 

The good news is, with the right build, you're not reduced to just farming, you can other content successfully at high settings. The only real weakness is the lack of Defense Debuff Resistance. 

15 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Agreed with you there.  All I meant was that a farming toon must have both in order to be "viable".  And of course "viable" means many different things.  My own fire farmer isn't maxed out in defense so any map that has patrols I need to use purps to survive it at +4/8.  So cheaper builds certain can do it just maybe not be able to AFK certain maps or mob densities.