Paragon Dance Party deserves an update.

Azari

6 hours ago, arcane said:

I think this every time I read a roleplayer thread/request and I’m just bursting to express it:

Can I just say that I respect the right of roleplayers to exist and to receive their allotted portion of developer attention..

But why y’all gotta be so damn weird

actually I think Pocket D is a bit too heavy in serious roleplay.  I would like PDP to be a more casual alternative, a place for people who don't use perfect punctuation when roleplaying lol. or worse, put their own speech in quotation marks.    I for one, prefer to just talk normally, and act as if RL is part of the game.  seamlessly transitioning between in character and OOC....

Get rid of the bums, put the posters back up, add a door to PDP in pocket D, add base portal, long range TP, done.  there are tons of dummy doors in paragon dance party that could be replaced with a real door without changing the look of the zone whatsoever.

DJ Zero should have more love for the ol' paragon dance party....

Edited by Azari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never been there and went to check it out.  It's just an empty warehouse with laser lights.  Even decorated, I can't see how it's an interesting venue compared to Pocket-D.  Also, there are approximately 1,500,272,981,000  Player base clubs, each with a distinct aesthetic that look better than both of them.

I'm not against the place getting spiffed-up, mind you.  I just personally don't see the appeal.  Maybe it's a nostalgia thing you have to be a player from Live (which I'm not) to really understand.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Triumphant said:

Never been there and went to check it out.  It's just an empty warehouse with laser lights.  Even decorated, I can't see how it's an interesting venue compared to Pocket-D.  Also, there are approximately 1,500,272,981,000  Player base clubs, each with a distinct aesthetic that look better than both of them.

I'm not against the place getting spiffed-up, mind you.  I just personally don't see the appeal.  Maybe it's a nostalgia thing you have to be a player from Live (which I'm not) to really understand.  🤷‍♂️

when PDP came out even the office chairs had amazing graphics *^_^*.  my perspective as a kid in 2004/2005 was a lot different,  COH was one of the best looking games i'd seen or played at that point

7 hours ago, Triumphant said:

Well it is just sitting there doing NOTHING right now, why not find a purpose for it?  Heck, we've been talking since day one about lining up player-made quality AE stories into something a bit more permanent, put the kiosk for them in there.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Heck, we've been talking since day one about lining up player-made quality AE stories into something a bit more permanent, put the kiosk for them in there.

Why would you want to hide such a thing in the PDP? It doesn't make sense thematically (since it's a dance club), and I would imagine that we'd want these kiosks or whatever it might be to be highly visible out in the world. If we want to imply that these stories are merely entertainment and not "real", why not put the cinemas in the city to good use, and let us access such stories from them, or from a contact or ticket booth near them?

Edited by Take One

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

Just spitballing here.  But if so, how come the SBB doesn't access through the cinemas?  Point being nothing in the game has to be so literal.  I mean, we have AE in a night club already.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

59 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Just spitballing here.  But if so, how come the SBB doesn't access through the cinemas?  Point being nothing in the game has to be so literal.  I mean, we have AE in a night club already.

I'm guessing Pocket D is a special case since it's more of a hub than PDP was (since it caters to all alignments/sides). PPD can only be reached by heroes and rogues.

I would have liked seeing the SBB starting from a cinema. From what I recall it's started from the LFG queue?

Hm... could the PDP actually have a hero-only function that makes it useful beyond a limited rp location? Maybe it could have 'informants' who give out tip missions for people who don't have access to a SG computer. A similar type of informants could be placed in the Monkey Fight Clubs red-side.

Edited by Take One

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

The thing is, it's in such a weird, isolated place.  It's marked on the map, of course, but still.  It seems like it would be hard to justify our small development team spending their time on something this obscure.

To be fair, that's not my call.  Just airing my opinion here.  As I said, if the devs wanted to spruce the place up or do something else with it, I certainly have no objections.

9 hours ago, Take One said:

I would have liked seeing the SBB starting from a cinema. From what I recall it's started from the LFG queue?

Me too. Though I guess they'd have to have a Kallisti location. Personally I don't like the "LFG only" thing much since it seems like a really non-immersive way for things to be started, even though it is great from the quality of life standard. 

An SG base portal would be great.

There should be some NPC mentions of the other dance clubs that exist (only in in-game lore) besides Pocket D, Studio 55, and Paragon Dance Party.

(Black Ice, The Alternative, The Crash Site, The Danger Zone and The Portal)

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Dr._Trevor_Seaborn#Clear_the_Hellions_out_of_Black_Ice

I would also like to see an endless mission contact (similar to Meg Mason) that gives out missions on a Paragon Dance Party Instanced indoor map.

Examples:

Vandals are wrecking the club. Clear the gangs out of the PDP. (Hellions, Skulls, Warriors, Outcasts, Trolls)
Stop the PDP shakedown by BossName (Family, Mooks, etc...)
Rescue the kidnapped partygoers. (A map that starts out in a PDP map then goes into a cave network through a hole in the floor.)
EnemyGroup is harassing the PDP patrons. Stop their aggressive recruitment.
Mystic Ley Lines in the city converge on the location of the PDP, Stop the cultists from casting their dark ritual in the club. (Circle of Thorns, Banished Pantheon)
"Assault on Paragon Dance Party", defend the club from the waves of attackers. (Please make it a lot better than "Stop 30 Fir Bolg entering door", that one is way too slow).
BossName has wrecked rival dance clubs Black Ice & The Danger Zone; PDP is next. Stop Him.
Stop EnemyGroup from spiking the PDP water supply with drug (Superadine, Fixadine, Outbreak, Rage, Shift, Crey Cola, Excelsior, Mutagenic Mold, Vahzilok Chemicals)
World War II sleeper agents buried a weapon in Paragon City. Years later the location eventually became the site of the PDP. EnemyGroup has re-discovered the existence & location of the weapon. Prevent them from recovering it. (5th Column, Council)

In the future if a developer would like to make further additions to PDP (when time allows) and make either a stage with a rock band (@Darmian's idea) or a DJ (@Greycat's idea & his idea of instrument players NPCs for SG bases is also awesome).

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19874-soparagon-dance-party-then/?do=findComment&comment=224252

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19874-soparagon-dance-party-then/?do=findComment&comment=224323

My idea would be to alternate between the two, one day/night cycle could have a DJ & another day/night cycle could have a rock band; it could work the same way the dancers inside the cages in Pocket D periodically get swapped out. (If the code works the same way).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Shadowsleuth said:

An SG base portal would be great.

There should be some NPC mentions of the other dance clubs that exist (only in in-game lore) besides Pocket D, Studio 55, and Paragon Dance Party.

(Black Ice, The Alternative, The Crash Site, The Danger Zone and The Portal)

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Dr._Trevor_Seaborn#Clear_the_Hellions_out_of_Black_Ice

I would also like to see an endless mission contact (similar to Meg Mason) that gives out missions on a Paragon Dance Party Instanced indoor map.

Examples:

Vandals are wrecking the club. Clear the gangs out of the PDP. (Hellions, Skulls, Warriors, Outcasts, Trolls)
Stop the PDP shakedown by BossName (Family, Mooks, etc...)
Rescue the kidnapped partygoers. (A map that starts out in a PDP map then goes into a cave network through a hole in the floor.)
EnemyGroup is harassing the PDP patrons. Stop their aggressive recruitment.
Mystic Ley Lines in the city converge on the location of the PDP, Stop the cultists from casting their dark ritual in the club. (Circle of Thorns, Banished Pantheon)
"Assault on Paragon Dance Party", defend the club from the waves of attackers. (Please make it a lot better than "Stop 30 Fir Bolg entering door", that one is way too slow).
BossName has wrecked rival dance clubs Black Ice & The Danger Zone; PDP is next. Stop Him.
Stop EnemyGroup from spiking the PDP water supply with drug (Superadine, Fixadine, Outbreak, Rage, Shift, Crey Cola, Excelsior, Mutagenic Mold, Vahzilok Chemicals)
World War II sleeper agents buried a weapon in Paragon City. Years later the location eventually became the site of the PDP. EnemyGroup has re-discovered the existence & location of the weapon. Prevent them from recovering it. (5th Column, Council)

In the future if a developer would like to make further additions to PDP (when time allows) and make either a stage with a rock band (@Darmian's idea) or a DJ (@Greycat's idea & his idea of instrument players NPCs for SG bases is also awesome).

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19874-soparagon-dance-party-then/?do=findComment&comment=224252

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19874-soparagon-dance-party-then/?do=findComment&comment=224323

My idea would be to alternate between the two, one day/night cycle could have a DJ & another day/night cycle could have a rock band; it could work the same way the dancers inside the cages in Pocket D periodically get swapped out. (If the code works the same way).

Just an aside, but the Tiki Lounge in Pocket D has a full band of Banished Pantheon that are named and everything. Check my signature for the tour video. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

10 hours ago, Triumphant said:

The thing is, it's in such a weird, isolated place.  It's marked on the map, of course, but still.  It seems like it would be hard to justify our small development team spending their time on something this obscure.

Well it is isolated, but then so is Pocket D in many ways ... a sort of build it they will come thing.  Put some of the things mentioned in this thread in there and maybe that feeling of isolated would go away.  Used it (PDP) for transit on more than a few occasions, to dodge a few too many tsoo showing up for an ambush at the tailor among other things.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

Well it is isolated, but then so is Pocket D in many ways ... a sort of build it they will come thing.  Put some of the things mentioned in this thread in there and maybe that feeling of isolated would go away.  Used it (PDP) for transit on more than a few occasions, to dodge a few too many tsoo showing up for an ambush at the tailor among other things.

Yeah, it's "isolated" only because no one goes there because there''s no reason to go there.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Thanks 1

Another, and I think reasonably valid, reason for revamping PDP+RMFC+Studio 55 (especially the first two) is in the present situation it's important to leverage as much as we can out of existing spaces. 

• Thanks 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

12 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Someone forgot the first rule of Monkey Fight Club. 😄

The first rule of Rikti Monkey Fight Club is...stay way from the Rikti Monkeys!

• Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

On 10/17/2021 at 1:25 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Yeah, it's "isolated" only because no one goes there because there''s no reason to go there.

The reason why there is nobody in PDP is because "nobody goes to PDP"

the public perceives PDP as being dead, so it is dead...  if people would go there, there would be a reason to go there..

Edited by Azari

46 minutes ago, Azari said:

The reason why there is nobody in PDP is because "nobody goes to PDP"

the public perceives PDP as being dead, so it is dead...  if people would go there, there would be a reason to go there..

Yes, the absurdity is the point.  It's not "isolated" at all.

There's no official answer (at least, there wasn't on Live AFAIK) aside from 'It was a place run by DJ Zero before he was in-game as DJ Zero.' Given that it still has the same inter-zone links that Pocket D does, best bet is that it's also probably a mini-pocket dimension he made. Just as much a testing ground for DJ Zero as it was for the Live devs.

Edited by El D

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

48 minutes ago, Azari said:

in COH canon, where is PDP actually located?  is it in a separate dimension? 

Same as PD really.  Everywhere and nowhere. There's no way it's actually connected to the buildings where the doors are, obviously.

But as I said above, it and RMFC and Studio 55 could do with a little more use. Frankly something as simple as a couple of contacts who hand out repeatables in each one would give some life to the places. Leverage the assets we have 🙂

• Like 2

• 9 months later