Do These Powers Work With Powexeclocation Slash Command?

Tailcoat

31 minutes ago, arcane said:

Oh quiet you 🙂

But first, this message from our sponsors:

• Macros: trivial; only a moron wouldn't use them.
  • IOs: absolutely necessary for pleasant gameplay no matter how much Inf, crafting time or hassle they soak up.
  • IO sets: master them and all their nuances if you even want to bother logging in.
  • Procs: if you can't do the math, may as well go play CO.
  • Incarnate Levels, Boost and Attuning: well, duh, dude.

...but...

• Binds: <fx Jessica Rabbit> Oh... MY... GOOOOOODDDDDD! </fx>

I'll go away quietly now.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 9/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, arcane said:

I don’t even know what a popmenu is. It sounds scary, like binds.

If you've used the Fast Travel 'power' that we get now, that's a popmenu. Basically, a popmenu is a command that loads a list of choices from a file in the game directory that can be called up in a number of ways, like a bind or macro. The choices can be pretty much anything you can do with a command in the game -- power activation, chat, etc. It's called a 'popmenu' because the menu pops up under your mouse pointer when it activates. It can be simple or  complex, and it's worth reading through the available instruction before trying to make your own.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

But first, this message from our sponsors:

• Macros: trivial; only a moron wouldn't use them.
  • IOs: absolutely necessary for pleasant gameplay no matter how much Inf, crafting time or hassle they soak up.
  • IO sets: master them and all their nuances if you even want to bother logging in.
  • Procs: if you can't do the math, may as well go play CO.
  • Incarnate Levels, Boost and Attuning: well, duh, dude.

...but...

• Binds: <fx Jessica Rabbit> Oh... MY... GOOOOOODDDDDD! </fx>

I'll go away quietly now.

I’m not crazy about macros either but will use them on characters with several location AoE’s. I have never used any Macro beyond the “cast at my target’s location” though. Other than that, looks about right 🙂

Edited by arcane

14 hours ago, srmalloy said:

If you've used the Fast Travel 'power' that we get now, that's a popmenu. Basically, a popmenu is a command that loads a list of choices from a file in the game directory that can be called up in a number of ways, like a bind or macro. The choices can be pretty much anything you can do with a command in the game -- power activation, chat, etc. It's called a 'popmenu' because the menu pops up under your mouse pointer when it activates. It can be simple or  complex, and it's worth reading through the available instruction before trying to make your own.

Ok that makes sense. Still doesn’t sound fun to set up or to use in active combat, but I can visualize it at least 🙂

35 minutes ago, arcane said:

I’m not crazy about macros either but will use them on characters with several location AoE’s. I have never used any Macro beyond the “cast at my target’s location” though. Other than that, looks about right 🙂

I have a Native American character who shapeshifts (costume change) to a bird form to use Fly and to a wolf form to use Beast Run, along with the appropriate cc emote and a spoken phrase.  I have another macro that he uses to change back to human form when he turns the power off.  This could probably be done with keybinds as well, but I just use macros because I have a ton of other keybinds.

The flexibility of the keybind/macro, and now popmenu system in CoH rivals the flexibility of the costume editor.  All of these things, along with the power pics and the IO system let me play the game MY way, which is one of the things that has kept me coming  back for 17+ years.

58 minutes ago, arcane said:

Well, just in case I didn't beat the horse quite to death, I remain boggled at this.

This is not a simple game. To play requires mastery of a pretty good set of complex information. Many players dive to absurd depths on things like IOs and the advanced power options, not to mention PIGG hacking to change sounds and stuff. On top of that, many players are huge on macros, to the point where they want 100 trays to manage them all. But those bind things... are horribly complex nonsense for the geeky set and aren't the way the game was meant to be played anyhow. Even while they complain about things that can easily be fixed with a few key reassignments (including, for added hilarity, problems related to having dozens of macros). While remaining oblivious to the fact that the [sacred] default controls are just 100-odd... binds...

So, Sigh.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

48 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

This is not a simple game.

Eh, I disagree. These are the buttons I absolutely need for every play session:

W/A/S/D

R - auto-run

Ctrl - set auto power

Space Bar - jump

Tab - target

Left/Right mouse/trackpad button

I would also NEVER use more than4 power trays because that, also, sounds like needless chaos.

You seem to get frustrated that I’m not availing myself of your binds, but I’m struggling to see why you think they’re so necessary.

No, also, controls are not the same as custom binds. Base controls are intuitive, not under the hood, and can be recalled by a look at the options menu.

I also don’t have mids because it’s not compatible with my operating system. I suppose you’d have a problem with that too.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Eh, I disagree. These are the buttons I absolutely need for every play session:

W/A/S/D

R - auto-run

Ctrl - set auto power

Space Bar - jump

Tab - target

Left/Right mouse/trackpad button

I would also NEVER use more than4 power trays because that, also, sounds like needless chaos.

Ah. Good thing there's nothing else to the game! (I think you missed my point.)

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

You seem to get frustrated that I’m not availing myself of your binds, but I’m struggling to see why you think they’re so necessary.

I don't give an Arachnobot's ass if anyone uses them. Except when, as above, the arguments are made that (1) they're way too complex for this farming/Arcane build/IO-crafting/proc-tutoring player dude, or (2) somehow are cheats, nerfs, or (my fave) Just Not How The Game Was Made.

I reserve the right to Sigh at anyone who loudly and at length and in multiple posts whines about some "problem" with the game or their play preferences that could be solved in about forty seconds flat with... yes... a bind. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

I reserve the right to Sigh at anyone who loudly and at length and in multiple posts whines about some "problem" with the game or their play preferences that could be solved in about forty seconds flat with... yes... a bind. 🙂

I’m closer to just deleting the macros entirely since, like binds, I don’t find them that helpful. 

I frequently drift into using the regular buttons for those powers anyway.

Edited by arcane

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

I’m closer to just deleting the macros entirely since, like binds, I don’t find them that helpful. 

I frequently drift into using the regular buttons for those powers anyway.

Well, not to drag this any further sideways, but the standard keys, a few changes to standard keys, macros and custom binds all have their place in optimizing the UI to player preference and AT advantages.

If I have any one specific eyeroll to make here, it's at players who write a macro for absolutely everything, even actions that aren't really suited to them, and then complain that it doesn't work (and decide to delete them all as a result 🙂 )... and then say binds are too complicated, when they are not only the exact same thing in terms of command structure, but can be easily managed and maintained as a set.

But moving along now. Didn't mean to hijack.

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

Also can we not compare under-the-hood adjustments to the base game to simply learning how to play the base game. Kind of not even similar.

How is remapping a few keys different from"the base game"? All games since about 2010 allow key changes, just usually with a very clumsy and crude interface. CoH has offered this magnificently flexible approach since 2004 and players are still convinced it's some horrid game-breaking hack.

And macros are not any of this, because...?

Once more, with feeling, exit stage left: Sigh.

Edited by Shenanigunner

Just now, Shenanigunner said:

Well, not to drag this any further sideways, but the standard keys, a few changes to standard keys, macros and custom binds all have their place in optimizing the UI to player preference and AT advantages.

If I have any one specific eyeroll to make here, it's at players who write a macro for absolutely everything, even actions that aren't really suited to them, and then complain that it doesn't work (and decide to delete them all as a result 🙂 )... and then say binds are too complicated, when they are not only the exact same thing in terms of command structure, but can be easily managed and maintained as a set.

But moving along now. Didn't mean to hijack.

Yeah I think you need to get over the existence of different playstyles. I am not saying your binds are too much for me to wrap my head around. I’m saying I don’t want them.

6 hours ago, arcane said:

Ok that makes sense. Still doesn’t sound fun to set up or to use in active combat, but I can visualize it at least 🙂

Most of them are pretty simple, and set up the same way. For example, the popmenu for Rain of Fire:

//------------------------------------------
// Rain of Fire

Menu "FireRain"
{
Title Rain of Fire
Option "Rain of Fire &1" "powexecname Rain of Fire"
Option "Here &2" "powexeclocation down:max Rain of Fire"
Option "Target &3" "powexeclocation target Rain of Fire"
}

To use it, I drag the actual Rain of Fire power icon into one of my peripheral trays, so I can see the recharge state. Then I create the macro with the command:

/macro Rain popmenu FireRain

So now I've got an icon in my tray that says 'Rain'. Let's say it's in Tray 1, slot 7. To use it, I hit the '7' key; this causes a menu to pop up on the screen with the three options above. To use Rain of Fire like you would clicking its icon, I hit '1', and then get the targeting cursor to put it where I want it. If I want to toebomb it because I have mobs around me, I hit '2', and then it goes off at my feet. If I want to drop it on my target, I hit '3', and it centers on my target. For either of the last two, it's faster to hit '2' or '3' than have to use the mouse to locate where I want it to go, and in a crowded fight, it's harder to target accurately behind all the VFX.