What would be the best powerset for a first timer tank

misat

I've played around with tanks on live stone/stone but never got out of the teens with it, was to much drama in groups lol

I just want something simple and fun, I don't care about end game and good chance it would be a solo thing and only group on the fly leveling up. Just want to see everyone thoughts on it. I read WP/SS is easy to get going but not much on others

Well I am a newbie tanker myself but I just recently got my first to 50 and it is a Rad/Staff.   Rad Armor is pretty easy and comes with great endurance recovery for no blue bar worries.  Staff has three great AoEs expanded by the Tanker AoE buffs.   Guarded Spin is a 9ft, 135 degree cone available at level 4.  Eye of the Storm is a 15ft PBAoE you get at level 16.  Innocuous Strikes, which you may find redundant, is another 9ft, 135degree cone available at 35.  But in any case, loads of AoE for x8 teams.  And it's dead easy to punch voke entire spawns, even if a bit spread out, from level 16 onward just with EotS.

No Build Up, but the stances come with various bonuses.  Form of Body has a whopping 13.3% +res(All) bonus when Sky Splitter is used with 3 stacks of Body.  I put the Might of the Tanker ATO +res proc in Guarded Spin and it procs easily as well, bringing any res I don't have capped already to the cap.

It definitely wants Focused Accuracy to help with toHit debuffs or certain enemies will turn you into an auto-taunt aura and little else.  The lack of Build Up is occasionally annoying for that same reason but it's made up for with many other benefits.  

Anyway, I played this with PuG leveling all the way and it was easy and fun.  I'm looking at something good for a defense-based tanker next to see how the other half lives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

Well I am a newbie tanker myself but I just recently got my first to 50 and it is a Rad/Staff.   Rad Armor is pretty easy and comes with great endurance recovery for no blue bar worries.  Staff has three great AoEs expanded by the Tanker AoE buffs.   Guarded Spin is a 9ft, 135 degree cone available at level 4.  Eye of the Storm is a 15ft PBAoE you get at level 16.  Innocuous Strikes, which you may find redundant, is another 9ft, 135degree cone available at 35.  But in any case, loads of AoE for x8 teams.  And it's dead easy to punch voke entire spawns, even if a bit spread out, from level 16 onward just with EotS.

No Build Up, but the stances come with various bonuses.  Form of Body has a whopping 13.3% +res(All) bonus when Sky Splitter is used with 3 stacks of Body.  I put the Might of the Tanker ATO +res proc in Guarded Spin and it procs easily as well, bringing any res I don't have capped already to the cap.

It definitely wants Focused Accuracy to help with toHit debuffs or certain enemies will turn you into an auto-taunt aura and little else.  The lack of Build Up is occasionally annoying for that same reason but it's made up for with many other benefits.  

Anyway, I played this with PuG leveling all the way and it was easy and fun.  I'm looking at something good for a defense-based tanker next to see how the other half lives.

Thanks ZemX, I was looking at Staff last night and wondering how it would work on a Tank. I grouped with a brute the other day using it and it looked like he was moving the lawn made of skulls 😉 

WP is pretty forgiving, so just about any secondary can bring a benefit to it outside of something like /fire since fire is simply that. My personal top two might be StJ and Kat, but I concede some others might work even better. I just don't have one of them at 50 to have a genuine comment about the set.

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

This is the next respec I am looking at.  Not purpled/wintered completely yet.  But it looks decent to me. Incarnates not included.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.6.0
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Annie Proton: Level 50 Technology Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(5), UnbGrd-Max HP%(7)
Level 1: Mercurial Blow -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Dam%(11)
Level 2: Proton Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Ags-Psi/Status(17)
Level 4: Guarded Spin -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(21), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), ImpArm-ResDam/Rchg(23), ImpArm-EndRdx/Rchg(25), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), ImpArm-ResDam(27), ImpArm-ResPsi(27)
Level 8: Gamma Boost -- Heal-I(A)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), Ksm-ToHit+(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 12: Beta Decay -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 14: Radiation Therapy -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(31), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(33), Prv-Absorb%(33)
Level 16: Eye of the Storm -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(36)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(37), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(37), Pnc-Heal(37), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 20: Staff Mastery 
Level 22: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(A)
Level 24: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 26: Kick -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 28: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(39), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(39), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(40), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Sky Splitter -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(42), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(42), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 41: Innocuous Strikes -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(45), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 44: Laser Beam Eyes -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(46), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Infiltration -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 24: Double Jump 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 20: Form of the Body 
Level 20: Form of the Mind 
Level 20: Form of the Soul 
------------

Simple and easy to drive?  Go all the way back to retail release, in 2004, when the max level was 40 and there were only four tanker primaries:  Fire, Ice, Inv & Stone.  Secondaries had no combos to worry about, just make a sturdy tank (some with damage auras), pick any secondary and push attack buttons, when needed.  My all time favorite and the one I continue to play the most and reach for, when cruising is my goal...Inv/SS.  Very little in this game is as satisfying as Foot Stomp.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Late to the fun, but for sheer ease that only needs Single Origins to wreck shop it is hard to beat a Shield/Martial Arts.

Shield Charge covers the AoE Martial is low in, and with Storm Kick it is laughably easy to hit the magical 45% to M/R/AoE Defense.

Looks all Captain America, too.

• Like 1

Late to the party, but here are some suggestions:

• Willpower is simple to play and feels great on early-mid levels. It doesn't do as well as other powersets in the endgame on max diffiiculty.
  • Invulnerability is almost as simple as Willpower. In the endgame, it's arguably the toughest armor in the game.
  • Shield Defense is a bit trickier to drive than WP or Invuln. You have to remember to keep clicking Active Defense to avoid getting mezzed. But it is very tough, and the damage boost from Against All Odds is helpful, especially when solo.

For your secondary, there are no bad choices. Pick what you like thematically. My personal favorite is War Mace, because of the weapon customization options and the good mix of single target and AoE.

Super Strength is good for damage (because of Rage) but introduces moments of vulnerability (because of Rage crash).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Is a newbie going to realize it can be worked around? They are a newbie after all.

Why  not choose a set with less of a hill to climb?

With that idea, any set can be a hill.  "I can't attack!  I'm out of END!"

Game is simple enough, and having a strong tank when they get done...all the better 🙂

10 minutes ago, BrandX said:

With that idea, any set can be a hill.  "I can't attack!  I'm out of END!"

Game is simple enough, and having a strong tank when they get done...all the better 🙂

Dark Armor is known for its endurance woes.  And sure, other sets have issues and weaknesses...they all do. But nothing sucks quite like not being able to do anything because you're out of endurance.

I've never been a Tanker type, the low damage never suited me, but I leveled a Fire/DB to 50 and had a blast with it.  DB is nothing spectacular but it is pretty fun and has some good animations.  Don't worry too much about the combo mechanics, the extra effects they provide are a little lacking (though the Vital Strike chain can do some nice damage).  I just prefer slotting Avalance and Overwhelming Force procs into Typhoon's Edge and Sweeping Strike and call it a day; big AoEs and knocking everything over.

Meanwhile Fire armor isn't the toughest but where it lacks in defense it makes up in offense.  Fiery Aura comes early and is a solid damage aura, Burn is an excellent extra AoE attack and Fiery Embrace gives you a massive damage bonus for a short while; about 40% more damage per attack as additional fire damage that also scales with enhancements.  You'll be slicing up foes with hot knives as if they were butter.  The set also offers a self-heal and a PBAoE Endurance recovery power to minimize downtime.  With some building you can get solid resists too.  I was able to cap S/L resists alongside Fire resist while also getting most everything else above 60%, even Psi (Toxic resist can be capped by spamming Healing Flames).  The biggest problem the set has is a lack of Knockback protection, but that can be remedied with some slotting or by dipping into the Leaping pool for Acrobatics.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I would hope that any "newbie" tanker not feel restricted into picking their primary power choice based on that armor sets lack of click powers. Compared to other archetypes, playing any melee archetype is extremely forgiving and straightforward. 

The original post specifically said they want a good level-up experience - not an endgame oriented choice. Most of the posts in this thread have ignored that part, and so I will second @ZorkNemesis suggesting Fiery Aura. The set does fine with just SOs, a knockback protection IO is all you really need. Healing Flames recharges in 20 seconds with just SOs. Burn comes in at lvl 18, no other tanker primary will hit such a power spike. It is great for solo clearing content as the OP requested.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently on fire.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:54 AM, misat said:

I just want something simple and fun

What is fun?

To me the fun part is playing a character I created that fits my conception of the character as much as possible.

So the power sets depend on that conception. This affects my archetype selection as well as powers.

Sometimes I decide that I want to make a tank and created a character conception for a tank. Sometimes I have a character conception and that conception calls upon the use of a tank.

That's what make it fun or not fun to me.

I don't think any of the tanker sets are complicated compared to the other archetypes.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Fire Armor.

Not kidding. If someone asked for the toughest set I'd answer something else, but best powerset for a new tanker? Fire Armor. Fast recharging heal, endurance clicky, early Burn to kill things dead before they hurt back.

Couple it with Ice Melee and you can start a fight with Ice Patch and kill things as they flop. With two Build-up mechanics + damage aura + Burn it's all the tankiness of a Tanker with nearly the damage of a Scrapper.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Fire Armor.

Not kidding. If someone asked for the toughest set I'd answer something else, but best powerset for a new tanker? Fire Armor. Fast recharging heal, endurance clicky, early Burn to kill things dead before they hurt back.

Couple it with Ice Melee and you can start a fight with Ice Patch and kill things as they flop. With two Build-up mechanics + damage aura + Burn it's all the tankiness of a Tanker with nearly the damage of a Scrapper.

Excellent advice from the "Godfather" of Fire tanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

On 9/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, misat said:

Thanks ZemX, I was looking at Staff last night and wondering how it would work on a Tank. I grouped with a brute the other day using it and it looked like he was moving the lawn made of skulls 😉 

I have a WP/Staff and a Rad/Staff. Staff is just one of those "fun" sets. On a tank, you hit EVERYTHING with Staff. While it's not the most damaging, in groups you just lay everything to waste.

The Rad does more damage due to Radiation Therapy and Ground Zero. It's sturdy, especially if you use your heal, and Rad Therapy when available. 

WP is "fire and forget". You can soft cap your fire/cold/energy/neg energy defenses. Plus get decent resists...all while regenerating at a base of 90 HP/Sec. I think a fully saturated RttC nets me almost 160 HP/Sec. I can be in the middle of a fire farm,  walk away, get a drink, go smoke, grab a snack and come back and still be alive. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 9:49 AM, ZemX said:

And that very little is activating Mighty Radial Final Judgement in a crowd of very low level Scrapyarders.

I think I put them in orbit.

You can't put them into orbit.

You CAN splatter them against the skybox though...

They HATE that kind of action!

😉

• Haha 3

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Okay, as I'm "kinda" a frothing Invuln fanboy, I'd recommend it if you want to be able to build one of the most absolutely bulletproof Tanks possible.
Stone will just BARELY beat it on general toughness, but the downsides of Stone are well known at this point.
As for Secondary?  What sounds fun?

Grab a copy of MidsReborn and snag the Tank version of my Invulnerability Framework and play around.

Final builds aren't "cheap".  But they're tougher than beef jerky plated steel...

Also, do NOT try to level up using an end build.  This is only for masochists who like being tortured.

Level up organically along the general lines of the build.

Once you hit your late 30's or early 40's, go ahead and respec with an eye towards your end build.

Not that you shouldn't try other armors and power combos.

Just remember to play to the general strengths of the armor set (Bumping defense on Defense-centric and hybrid Def/Res). Bumping Resist on primary Resist-based setup.  Then beefing the "opposing" values.

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Like 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!