Winter Holidays in the Isles

The Trinket

Loads of people love the Winter Holidays. But for whatever reason, aside from presents magically appearing in particular locations, there's really no sense of that holiday feel in the Rogue Isles during the Winter Event. 

Where's the lights wrapped around the Atom Globe in Aeon City? Who's to say Mr. Sonata doesn't have a touch of Griswald in him and wants to drape the Giza in a spectacular display of epic proportions? 

Villains like holidays too. Sure, we'd probably end up spiking the hot chocolate and go caroling to the tune of "Jingle Bells, Statesman smells! Posi laid an egg" but we we can't all be perfect like the star spangled spandex wearers of Paragon. 

Aeon City in Cap Au Diablo or possibly the Giza of St. Martial would be awesome areas to use for a mini winter holiday makeover. Doesn't even have to be the whole zone. And even better, since it's the Isles, you don't need to make it snow (unless someone gets their hands on a weather control device). 

So what do you say? Can the Isles get some Winter Holiday decorations too?

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, The Trinket said:

Loads of people love the Winter Holidays. But for whatever reason, aside from presents magically appearing in particular locations, there's really no sense of that holiday feel in the Rogue Isles during the Winter Event. 

Where's the lights wrapped around the Atom Globe in Aeon City? Who's to say Mr. Sonata doesn't have a touch of Griswald in him and wants to drape the Giza in a spectacular display of epic proportions? 

Villains like holidays too. Sure, we'd probably end up spiking the hot chocolate and go caroling to the tune of "Jingle Bells, Statesman smells! Posi laid an egg" but we we can't all be perfect like the star spangled spandex wearers of Paragon. 

Aeon City in Cap Au Diablo or possibly the Giza of St. Martial would be awesome areas to use for a mini winter holiday makeover. Doesn't even have to be the whole zone. And even better, since it's the Isles, you don't need to make it snow (unless someone gets their hands on a weather control device). 

So what do you say? Can the Isles get some Winter Holiday decorations too?

I love the idea of a winter holidays themed attraction. Why not just make a themed public base?

16 minutes ago, VV said:

Why not just make a themed public base?

1.) Base building is a labor of love that not everyone enjoys.

2.) Bases are whatever you want them to be and only accessible to those with the code.

3.) Bases aren't the main, public zones, and thereby are not Redside anything.

4.) The OP is about giving event love to the Isles, not about building something in the bases to simply pretend that the Isles got some attention.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Apparition said:

@Piecemeal mentioned last year that he would work on something for Halloween and Winter this year for the Rogue Isles.

Edit: Here's the link to Piecemeal's post.

He said Maybe. If he has time. In a post just shy of a year old.

No news isn't necessarily bad news, but given the history of Redside receiving limited attention, I'm not going to assume a vague comment means anything is actually coming or the idea hasn't fallen completely off the radar. And since there are newer Devs, who knows. Maybe one of them might be up to the task or at least willing to try. 

• Like 1

You know, given Recluse's "late 19th/early 20th century survival of the fittest BS" I'm surprised the OG Devs didn't give us - and I'm not advocating it now actually - Purge Night in the Rogue Isles.  All the Arachnos vanish into their bases and shut up shop and for everyone else anything goes.

• Confused 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

47 minutes ago, Bay said:

1.) Base building is a labor of love that not everyone enjoys.

2.) Bases are whatever you want them to be and only accessible to those with the code.

3.) Bases aren't the main, public zones, and thereby are not Redside anything.

4.) The OP is about giving event love to the Isles, not about building something in the bases to simply pretend that the Isles got some attention.

The dev team are volunteers and the original suggestion is just throwing extra work their way. Because a temporary holiday village is something a player could do, and has a low work-to-QOL impact, I was throwing that work back to the player base so that the devs can focus their limited time on things that only devs can do. There are many things on their to do list, already.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, VV said:

The dev team are volunteers and the original suggestion is just throwing extra work their way. Because a temporary holiday village is something a player could do, and has a low work-to-QOL impact, I was throwing that work back to the player base so that the devs can focus their limited time on things that only devs can do. There are many things on their to do list, already.

Oh, you mean like the several holiday areas that exist already, that this current Dev team worked on? Revised Atlas and the new Winter area? This suggestion is simply taking pre-existing resources and applying them to pre-existing areas that they've never been applied to before. Also, the sheer volume of low impact QOL updates that are constantly rolled out pretty much invalidates the rebuttal. Players blueside have no extra need to create something festive because they already have it; anything that is made is extra. Redside gets absolutely nothing, so this QOL suggestion seems, to me, to have a rather significant impact.

Edit: Because, I forgot about Echo Plaza, too. A whole zone. So yes, how about you let the Devs determine where they spend their time and not attempt to rug-sweep a suggestion for Redside.

Edited by Bay
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Trinket said:

there's really no sense of that holiday feel in the Rogue Isles during the Winter Event.

Blame it on the Grinch or Scrooge?

Who's to say Mr. Sonata doesn't have a touch of Griswald in him and wants to drape the Giza in a spectacular display of epic proportions? 

The DEVs would be my guess.

Villains like holidays too.

They love to run around stealing presents and who knows what other kind of mischief, but I wouldn't call that holiday spirit ... maybe that's just me ...

you don't need to make it snow (unless someone gets their hands on a weather control device). 

If it snows in the Rogue Isles it should be dirty and grit-filled from all the smog and industrial pollutants.

More like ashes falling from the sky than snow.

Oh, and make all surfaces slippery with a chance of knockdown (like 5% or less - which would be pretty annoying enough I'd wager)

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 hours ago, Bay said:

I can't seem to get into the Homecoming Wiki now for some reason, but there a page listing of base codes there.

I think there is a thread somewhere in the forums that list base passcodes as well.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Retired Developer
19 hours ago, The Trinket said:

He said Maybe. If he has time. In a post just shy of a year old.

No news isn't necessarily bad news, but given the history of Redside receiving limited attention, I'm not going to assume a vague comment means anything is actually coming or the idea hasn't fallen completely off the radar. And since there are newer Devs, who knows. Maybe one of them might be up to the task or at least willing to try. 

In another post I wrote about the dangers of making promises. This is one of them. I was reminded shortly after this post (and, to wit, didn't exactly **learn** afterwards and repeated similar mistakes) not to bite off more than you can chew or to make promises that you end up not being to deliver on.

A new zone? Not likely at all. (From me)

I was responsible for the Atlas Pumpkin, and could do something similar in a pinch for winter, but again I really can't make any guarantees.

My life got really, really busy this summer, and it's not slowing down.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

3 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

and could do something similar in a pinch for winter, but again I really can't make any guarantees.

For me, personally, even just the 'something similar' would be nice. Having lived in two tropical environments, the lack of snow makes sense, but even Floridians and Hawaiians put up Christmas lights, lol. A 'decorating' of the Aeon City statue, for me, would be amazing; doesn't need to be a whole zone kind of thing.

Would be nice, but not a breath holding kind of situation since so few seem even remotely interested in giving anything to Redside. So, Piecemeal, even just having thought about it is nice. Thank you.

Edited by Bay
Spelling/Grammer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Piecemeal said:

In another post I wrote about the dangers of making promises. This is one of them. I was reminded shortly after this post (and, to wit, didn't exactly **learn** afterwards and repeated similar mistakes) not to bite off more than you can chew or to make promises that you end up not being to deliver on.

A new zone? Not likely at all. (From me)

I was responsible for the Atlas Pumpkin, and could do something similar in a pinch for winter, but again I really can't make any guarantees.

My life got really, really busy this summer, and it's not slowing down.

Hey, I get it. I'm not ragging on you at all Piecemeal and I hope you didn't take it as intended that way. You said maybe. To me that's not a promise it's going to happen. You said you'd brainstorm if you have time. Again, not a promise. Things fall off the radar and life has this great habit of kicking us when we're not expecting it. Let's face it, the last year and a half has really sucked for a multitude of reasons. Plus, you're just one person. You can't be expected to do everything. So yeah, far as I'm concerned you're not 'not delivering'. 😃 

I was just hoping to bring attention to the fact a world event celebrating a pretty significant for many holiday season is primarily exclusive to Blueside.  A world event should be able to be enjoyed with those touches of magic across all 3 sides; Blue, Red and Gold.  

Edited by The Trinket
typo
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, The Trinket said:

A world event should be able to be enjoyed with those touches of magic across all 3 sides; Blue, Red and Gold.  

Every day is Colemas, citizen. Mother loves you.

• Haha 2

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

On 9/15/2021 at 10:55 PM, UltraAlt said:

Blame it on the Grinch or Scrooge?

The DEVs would be my guess.

They love to run around stealing presents and who knows what other kind of mischief, but I wouldn't call that holiday spirit ... maybe that's just me ...

If it snows in the Rogue Isles it should be dirty and grit-filled from all the smog and industrial pollutants.

More like ashes falling from the sky than snow.

Oh, and make all surfaces slippery with a chance of knockdown (like 5% or less - which would be pretty annoying enough I'd wager)

Yellow snow.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A Cat said:

Yellow snow.

Don't eat that Yellow Snow.

Edited by UltraAlt

On 9/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, VV said:

I love the idea of a winter holidays themed attraction. Why not just make a themed public base?

Try it some time. There's an ASTONISHING lack of winter-holiday decor in the base builder. No ice patches or snowy floors. No Christmas trees or wreaths. We don't even get the wrapped boxes from the Trickster event, and how hard would those be to import, they're in the library as clickable objects? It's do-able to decorate a base for Halloween. It's nigh-impossible to decorate for Christmas.

• Like 1