What would you say is the most survive-intensive (immortal?) AT and build?

Koven

It's been mentioned above, but I'll add my personal experience with Shield/MA is both that it's survivability is way beyond any threats I've run into, but it is also has respectable damage output as well.  I really like how you can quite easily push defense bonuses up to the incarnate level soft-cap.  It's also visually fun to play.  The MA kick animations with a shield on your arm looks very super-heroic.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Ill add to the Invuln Ss tank calls, Mine just recently aided a cimeroan tf standing in the middle of a dozen romans while asking them to get the itch she couldnt reach was amusing. the resistance based Alpha means she basically giggle snorts at nearly all damage coming her way

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

54 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Somehow no mention of Stone Tankers....🤪

The OP did say they wanted to do *some* damage.  While a Granite can overcome its penalties, I find it's easier to plug the Psi hole in Invulnerability than it is in Granite.

What this team needs is more Defenders

25 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

The OP did say they wanted to do *some* damage.  While a Granite can overcome its penalties, I find it's easier to plug the Psi hole in Invulnerability than it is in Granite.

They also said, "...most survive-intensive...

Pair Stone Armor with Savage Melee and rely on IOs to further offset the speed penalties. That will leave you *some* damage.

I posted the invul/ss tank because i had recently opened it.  I have an alternate invul/dark tank (very very similar) that is more survivable due to the heal in dark melee and the to hit debuffs.  But honestly anything in the neighborhood of the build i posted (Hyperstrikes design, credit to an incredible builder) is really untouchable.  The crap that can come at this level of build is stuff that is unavoidable and non mitigatable such as Hami, Battle Maiden in TinPex and Lightning Crackle in Magisterium.  Those are best Tanked. Y  ery high Health Regen oriented builds propped up by League buffs and Empaths

2 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

I'm with @Crysis don't discount a stalker for this part right here. Yes tank will probably sturdier but "kill it faster and you don't have to survive longer" should be the stalker motto.

I run a energy melee/energy aura as my solo toon and it is just amazing.

I was blown away with how durable my Stalkers are now, but so much of that durability is amplified by the constant stream of crits just melting stuff all around me.  I literally can take down a boss or EB in the time it takes my Tanker just to toggle up!  I’m really not exaggerating….it’s insane how fast a well built stalker can “scrap it out” against spawns -and- still have enough left over to take out the boss.  While I love my DB/EA, an Elec/Shield Stalker is an AOE monster as well.  Something about the firepower of a Blaster with the defenses somewhere close a scrapper (albeit with far less Health) just feels….wrong….to me.  But if this wrong I don’t wanna be right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most survivable against just about anything is stone tank in Granite form.  It's weakness is Psi damage, but with no Psi enemies he'll be gold.  (.. grey actually.  so grey.)  He can of course use his non-Granite armors and have psi protection, but they're not as strong as Granite.  They do avoid the Granite penalties, though, of less recharge, damage, and speed.  Of course, those penalties exist so not everyone is running around as a stoner.

There's been a lot of love above for Willpower, and it is indeed a great set.  My vote for 2nd best (after Granite) is Super Reflexes, though.  Not only can he super-cap the defense limits (with help from Weave and Maneuvers), he has scaling resistance.  This means as his health goes down, his resistance goes up, to about 50%.  Another benefit is very high defense resistance.  Foe defense debuffs won't bother him very much.  He also gets Quickness for increased speed and 20% recharge.

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

One of the sturdiest, funnest tanks I have ever made was Rad/Dark.  Capped resists to S/L/E/F/T without Meltdown.  With Meltdown add capped Negative, Cold at 83 and Psy at 72.  Softcapped Melee, 36 to S/L/F/C, 20ish to everything else.  And then add perma 1000 point absorb shield, 2 heals that do damage, endless endurance, tons of tohit debuffs, and excellent ST and AoE damage, capable of almost self capping damage for a few seconds with Meltdown and saturated Soul Drain with a Gaussian's Proc.

The issue with stalkers is once their mitigation goes, and it will at some point, they have such a small pool of HP, they can faceplant in a hurry. I was reminded of this when my /ea stalker took on more mobs than she could handle do -def. Saying that, the damage output a stalker can do as compared to a brute, as an example, is quite striking.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Another surprisingly tough character I had was my Demons/Electrical MM. The resistance buffs stack, plus +absorb, heals, infinite endurance, strong status resistance built in, plus its not hard to get a hard defense either. It really was everything in one package. Then you have bodyguard on TOP of all of that. Plus since you have infinite endurance and resistance in the set, that lets you take barrier for your incarnate, making your tough pets, even tougher. The damage was fair. I wouldn't call it great, but I wouldn't call it bad either. Tanks can boast def/resistance and status resists, but they cant perform other roles in a group such as a healer or support, offering absorb, endless endurance, and status protection for the whole team. 

Just saying, if they want a different playstyle with a build that's pretty much immortal that can do decent damage, Demons/Electrical is pretty strong. /Time would be another contender too. I mean you can pretty much go afk with a Demons/EA MM setup. Heal on auto, pets in bodyguard mode, go do dishes.