¿pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ uoᴉʇᴉsod ǝsnoɯ ʇlnɐɟǝp ǝɥʇ sᴉ ʎɥʍ

MoonSheep

sʞuɐɥʇ

¿ɹǝʇɔɐɹɐɥɔ ʍǝu ɐ ƃuᴉʞɐɯ uǝɥʍ ,lɐɯɹou, ǝq oʇ uoᴉʇᴉsod ǝsnoɯ ʇlnɐɟǝp ǝɥʇ ʎɟᴉpoɯ ǝʍ ʎɐɯ ǝsɐǝld 'ǝɹoɟǝɹǝɥʇ

˙uoᴉʇᴉsod lɐɯɹou sʇᴉ oʇ pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ ǝʇɐʇs ɐ uᴉ sᴉ ǝʇnqᴉɹʇʇɐ ǝɥʇ sǝᴉldɯᴉ ǝuolɐ ,pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ, pɹoʍ ǝɥʇ

˙ǝɯᴉʇ ʎɹǝʌǝ ǝƃuɐɥɔ oʇ ǝʌɐɥ ᴉ ɥɔᴉɥʍ ,pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ, oʇ ʇǝs ʎllɐɔᴉʇɐɯoʇnɐ sᴉ ǝsnoɯ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝɔᴉʇou ᴉ 'ɹǝʇɔɐɹɐɥɔ ʍǝu ɐ ƃuᴉʇɐǝɹɔ uǝɥʍ 'ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ ˙ǝsuǝs ɟo ʇol ɐ ǝʞɐɯ ʇ,usǝop ,pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ, sɐ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos ɟo uoᴉʇᴉsod ʇlnɐɟǝp ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉʌɐɥ 'ƃuᴉɔᴉʇou ʎlǝʞᴉl ǝɹɐ noʎ sɐ

Edited by MoonSheep
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, MoonSheep said:

i assume given this post is regarding something being the opposite way to how it should by default, that you are all agreeing with my suggestion?

Don't make me drop a fire ant down your shorts. <_<

• Haha 5

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

30 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

i assume given this post is regarding something being the opposite way to how it should by default, that you are all agreeing with my suggestion?

Game does not need it’s defaults switched to the opposite 17 years after we’ve gotten used to it.

And then your annoying post format just made it 100x easier to justify blunt disagreement 🙂

• Thanks 1

image.gif.c8cbdd3ab052e1e46beb4586b603b5d4.gif

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

If you want to change the settings' default state, you can save the default options in-game, or edit: <Homecoming Install Folder>\settings\live\options.txt

This will change the default options settings for new characters.

For reference, "normal" mouse settings in a game should consider the direction a movement makes you look. Moving the mouse up should make you look toward the sky, moving it down should make you look toward the floor, moving it left should make you look to the left, and moving it right should make you look to the right. However, many older games (re: CoH era) consider not the direction a movement makes you look, but the direction a movement moves the invisible camera behind your screen, which is horribly unintuitive and results in the "normal is inverted and inverted is normal" behavior that CoH has.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Aida LaCanthe said:

However, many older games (re: CoH era) consider not the direction a movement makes you look, but the direction a movement moves the invisible camera behind your screen, which is horribly unintuitive and results in the "normal is inverted and inverted is normal" behavior that CoH has.

I don't know that I'd call this "unintuitive." Maybe it comes from being a big flight sim buff, where (like in normal flight) pushing a joystick (or mouse) forward makes you dive - IE, head towards the high-drag region known as "ground," or look down - and pulling it back makes you climb. But even without that, if you move your head forward, eventually it's going to tilt down, and pull back = up.

I've found the other way to be the unintuitive one, and utterly impossible to get used to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

23 hours ago, Number Six said:

I'm not sure if this post is about the default being "inverted" or the fact that what CoH calls "inverted", most games call normal...

i don’t mind which way the direction of mouse travel is set as the de-facto option, just a (perhaps unusual) frustration with the default position of something being ‘inverted’

On 9/18/2021 at 2:28 PM, Greycat said:

I don't know that I'd call this "unintuitive." Maybe it comes from being a big flight sim buff, where (like in normal flight) pushing a joystick (or mouse) forward makes you dive - IE, head towards the high-drag region known as "ground," or look down - and pulling it back makes you climb. But even without that, if you move your head forward, eventually it's going to tilt down, and pull back = up.

I've found the other way to be the unintuitive one, and utterly impossible to get used to.

I think the first game I ever played where it mattered was Super Mario 64, and it used "inverted" the same as a flight sim.  Ever since then, it's always felt natural to me that stick/mouse go forward = "down,"  stick/mouse go backwards = "up."

• Thanks 1

I forget if it was Diablo or Neverwinter that used different methods which made it hard for me to switch if I didn't configure stuff to be consistent with CoX.  However, I always felt it was on me to reconfigure which iirc, could be done on all those.  (And then after CoX shut down, I stuck to Linux stuff until being dragged back, and thankfully, CoX runs great under Linux)

This thread reminds me of how many early 3D games that used 2D backgrounds, (think Resident Evil), would kind of "remember" your control orientation, even if the perspective shifted, so you may have to continue to press down to move forward, even if you were now moving away from the screen.  Regardless, just set your controls the way you like, then save them so you can quickly reload them on any future alts you create...