Silencing/Modifying specific game sounds

Oubliette_Red

3 hours ago, Ender Shadowborne said:

I still can't locate the sound file directory in my Mac! It's not even in my Wine drive_c directory!

I'm afraid I have no access to a Mac anymore. Have you tried asking in the Mac section in Support & Help?

Grabbed this from Legacy Archives, though it's for VisiotMaps of the times, I would think that the process should not have changed:

Vidiotmaps/Herostats

Vidiotmaps can be installed in City of Heroes for Mac using one of the following two procedures:
The first procedure is to download the Mac installer for Vidiotmaps. However, this installer is not updated often, and it requires that City Of Heroes be in your Applications folder.
Another procedure involves extracting the files from the Windows installer and placing them manually in the appropriate location.
WARNING: Tampering with the files within the City of Heroes application may render it inoperable, requiring you to reinstall it from the DMG.

1. Download the Vidiotmaps installer that contains ONLY the maps.
2. Run the Vidiotmaps installer on a Windows computer, or in Crossover, Parallels, or VMWare. Extract the files somewhere highly visible like the Desktop.
3. Copy the "data" folder to the Mac Desktop.
4. Right-click the City of Heroes application and select "Show Package Contents".
5. Open the Contents, then Resources, then transgaming, then c_drive, then either "coh" or "Program Files" and then "City of Heroes". If there is no such folder, run the updater once to get it to create the folder.
6. Drag the "data" folder to the folder.

You might even try installing the current VidiotMaps in order to create the correct directories.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 hours ago, Vindicator said:

That worked for the first one!  Thank you 🙂   Where would I find a list of incarnate sounds?

I located it in PK's Rosetta spreadsheet.  You can grab it in his thread, there's a link in my sig.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 1 month later
2 hours ago, parabola said:

This took a while to find:

Description: Weapon drawn loop for the Carnival War Mace variants (descending three note loop with background shimmer)

Folder: Weapons

File: crystal2_loop

It shouldn't have taken that long, I found it in about 30 seconds knowing what you were looking for in the Rosetta stone. This appears to be the only specifically female mace sound 😛 :

image.png.8ae7cb6628e06aa0e8a234deed69688f.png

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Thanks 1
I'm out.

6 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

It shouldn't have taken that long, I found it in about 30 seconds knowing what you were looking for in the Rosetta stone. This appears to be the only specifically female mace sound 😛 :

image.png.8ae7cb6628e06aa0e8a234deed69688f.png

I may have missed something ... Rosetta Stone?

27 minutes ago, parabola said:

I may have missed something ... Rosetta Stone?

Yup, it's from here:

Join the "club", and you can download the Rosetta Stone Excel sheet, which contains EVERY game sound reference that there is, along with correlating information to help people find the sounds.

• Like 1
I'm out.

• 2 weeks later

Thanks @The Philotic Knight for taking care of this.

Been taking a break. Then there's that pesky little issue with my secondary HDD on my laptop dying without warning, which happened to contain all of my audio data and files. 😭

• 1 month later

I just wanted to mentioned some of the flying sounds I found that people might also want to adjust.

When you move or shift directions while flying there are 'whoosh' sounds.  These sounds are under Powers and are the following:

whoosh2
whoosh3
Whoosh7
whoosh8
whoosh9
whoosh14
whoosh15
whoosh16
Whoosh17
whoosh18

(There seem to be minor sounds when changing direction but whatever is left is very quiet; I was unable to find the last few.  Likewise I am unsure which specific sounds apply to which specific movements/powers, as these all sound fairly similar.)

You can find similar sounds for Ninja Run under:

NinjaRun_Whoosh_1

NinjaRun_Whoosh_2

NinjaRun_Whoosh_3

NinjaRun_Whoosh_4

NinjaRun_Whoosh_5

You can also find the jumping sounds for Ninja Run under:

NinjaRun_WhooshFlip

NinjaRun_WhooshHop

NinjaRun_WhooshJump

I am not sure if this will help anyone, but just in case it does, I thought I'd list them!

Edited by Ethereal Star
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

Does anyone happen to know the file name for Initial Strike or other Street Justice powers? They peak pretty bad and I'd like to tone them down.

If there's a way I can browse the sound directory to try and find it myself I'd be open to that as well. I'll post it here for the spread sheet once I have it narrowed down.

Thank you for reversing NC's snap...

@Lightyears - Excelsior

On 4/13/2021 at 10:55 PM, erc1971 said:

Has anyone found the filenames for the mastermind necromancer abilities?  One of the pets has an eardrum destroying loud sound whenever they zone and I would love to be able to silence that.

Eric

Here's the necromancy powers sounds:

image.thumb.png.36c144cc9c6018035de2f227377395b4.png

Here's the pet sounds (from what I can see):

image.png.5f2a7318e5a1ac122e4404c59badac5b.png

image.png.a644585b2b1f50071a11e2a84ee2e249.png

One of them should do it.

I'm out.

• 3 weeks later

I hope this isn't a really dumb question or I'm not missing something obvious, but I'm wanting to swap some power sounds around and I don't seem to have a piggs directory from which to actually extract the sounds I need?

I can find a few piggs files if I go digging in "assets" but they contain a limited number of sounds and not the player powers catalog.

The install folder contains accounts, architect, assets, bin, cache, costimes, data, logs, powercust, screenshots, and settings. Does the HC Launcher install them somewhere seperately or hide them or something like that? For reference I'm on a machine running windows 7, if that makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later

There's another folder for Fly sounds, and a couple of other flight sound loops.

Data\Sound\ogg\Flight

Flightflynew_loop.ogg

Flightwind_loop.ogg

Replacing those with silenced files eliminates the roaring sound while flying.  I suspect only Flightwind_loop.ogg is responsible for that.  I'll test the individual sounds later, I'm just going to enjoy not gritting my teeth and getting headaches while flying for now.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

• 4 weeks later
On 5/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, BeeBee said:

I hope this isn't a really dumb question or I'm not missing something obvious, but I'm wanting to swap some power sounds around and I don't seem to have a piggs directory from which to actually extract the sounds I need?

I can find a few piggs files if I go digging in "assets" but they contain a limited number of sounds and not the player powers catalog.

The install folder contains accounts, architect, assets, bin, cache, costimes, data, logs, powercust, screenshots, and settings. Does the HC Launcher install them somewhere seperately or hide them or something like that? For reference I'm on a machine running windows 7, if that makes any difference.

The piggs are a proprietary type squirreled away in the program. Sadly, I no longer have access to the backups I had of the thousands of sfx in the game. Check over in the Rosetta Stone Club, @The Philotic Knight may have the files themselves and his Rosetta Stone spreadsheet can help you locate their names/locations to set up replacements in the appropriate data folders. Because of the way the game triggers the sounds, it's not as simple as swapping places with the sfx, so you'll have a few hoops to jump through to get them to play in the manner that you like..

Good luck.  🙂

• 1 month later
On 6/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

Power Darkness Control > Umbral Beast howl Dog Dog_Howl_01

To silence the Umbral Beast barking I had to put in seven files...Dog_Bark_01 - Dog_Bark_07.  Same location as the howl file.  It seems that the game randomly chooses from among the seven so all are required to silence it completely.  You can just leave in one or two if you want an occasional bark but not the incessant noise.

Edited by carroto
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later
  • 1 month later
On 11/28/2021 at 9:54 PM, Jaguaratron said:

Anyone know the loop that the Brimstone armour that stalkers have now?

I would check out @The Philotic Knight CoH Modder's thread, not sure if their tool has been updated with the latest powerset/migrations, but it will likely appear there first.