Silencing/Modifying specific game sounds

3 hours ago, Ender Shadowborne said:

I still can't locate the sound file directory in my Mac! It's not even in my Wine drive_c directory!

I'm afraid I have no access to a Mac anymore. Have you tried asking in the Mac section in Support & Help?

Grabbed this from Legacy Archives, though it's for VisiotMaps of the times, I would think that the process should not have changed:

Vidiotmaps/Herostats

Vidiotmaps can be installed in City of Heroes for Mac using one of the following two procedures:
The first procedure is to download the Mac installer for Vidiotmaps. However, this installer is not updated often, and it requires that City Of Heroes be in your Applications folder.
Another procedure involves extracting the files from the Windows installer and placing them manually in the appropriate location.
WARNING: Tampering with the files within the City of Heroes application may render it inoperable, requiring you to reinstall it from the DMG.

1. Download the Vidiotmaps installer that contains ONLY the maps.
2. Run the Vidiotmaps installer on a Windows computer, or in Crossover, Parallels, or VMWare. Extract the files somewhere highly visible like the Desktop.
3. Copy the "data" folder to the Mac Desktop.
4. Right-click the City of Heroes application and select "Show Package Contents".
5. Open the Contents, then Resources, then transgaming, then c_drive, then either "coh" or "Program Files" and then "City of Heroes". If there is no such folder, run the updater once to get it to create the folder.
6. Drag the "data" folder to the folder.

You might even try installing the current VidiotMaps in order to create the correct directories.

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Check out PK's Rosetta Stone or my Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified sounds? Check out Solerverse's thread.

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

2 hours ago, Vindicator said:

That worked for the first one!  Thank you 🙂   Where would I find a list of incarnate sounds?

I located it in PK's Rosetta spreadsheet.  You can grab it in his thread, there's a link in my sig.

Dislike certain sounds? Check out PK's Rosetta Stone or my Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified sounds? Check out Solerverse's thread.

• 1 month later
2 hours ago, parabola said:

This took a while to find:

Description: Weapon drawn loop for the Carnival War Mace variants (descending three note loop with background shimmer)

Folder: Weapons

File: crystal2_loop

It shouldn't have taken that long, I found it in about 30 seconds knowing what you were looking for in the Rosetta stone. This appears to be the only specifically female mace sound 😛 :

image.png.8ae7cb6628e06aa0e8a234deed69688f.png

Edited by The Philotic Knight
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

It shouldn't have taken that long, I found it in about 30 seconds knowing what you were looking for in the Rosetta stone. This appears to be the only specifically female mace sound 😛 :

image.png.8ae7cb6628e06aa0e8a234deed69688f.png

I may have missed something ... Rosetta Stone?

27 minutes ago, parabola said:

I may have missed something ... Rosetta Stone?

Yup, it's from here:

Join the "club", and you can download the Rosetta Stone Excel sheet, which contains EVERY game sound reference that there is, along with correlating information to help people find the sounds.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later

Thanks @The Philotic Knight for taking care of this.

Been taking a break. Then there's that pesky little issue with my secondary HDD on my laptop dying without warning, which happened to contain all of my audio data and files. 😭

• 1 month later

I just wanted to mentioned some of the flying sounds I found that people might also want to adjust.

When you move or shift directions while flying there are 'whoosh' sounds.  These sounds are under Powers and are the following:

whoosh2
whoosh3
Whoosh7
whoosh8
whoosh9
whoosh14
whoosh15
whoosh16
Whoosh17
whoosh18

(There seem to be minor sounds when changing direction but whatever is left is very quiet; I was unable to find the last few.  Likewise I am unsure which specific sounds apply to which specific movements/powers, as these all sound fairly similar.)

You can find similar sounds for Ninja Run under:

NinjaRun_Whoosh_1

NinjaRun_Whoosh_2

NinjaRun_Whoosh_3

NinjaRun_Whoosh_4

NinjaRun_Whoosh_5

You can also find the jumping sounds for Ninja Run under:

NinjaRun_WhooshFlip

NinjaRun_WhooshHop

NinjaRun_WhooshJump

I am not sure if this will help anyone, but just in case it does, I thought I'd list them!

Edited by Ethereal Star
  • 1 month later

Does anyone happen to know the file name for Initial Strike or other Street Justice powers? They peak pretty bad and I'd like to tone them down.

If there's a way I can browse the sound directory to try and find it myself I'd be open to that as well. I'll post it here for the spread sheet once I have it narrowed down.

Thank you for reversing NC's snap...

@Lightyears - Excelsior

1 hour ago, Lightyears said:

The attachment in the thread is unavailable.

Its available, you just have to join the group to download it. I don't know why they made it that way.