Dedicated Archetypes

Diantane

Anyone who wants to do a strict primary build, fine, your character, your rules.

For my part, I'd rather have a teammate who knows how primary and secondary powers synergize. Take cold domination, for instance. It's all right by itself, def is handy, heat loss is nice, sleet is OP. But what about the other 90% of the fight when you're doing nothing? Throw in a blast set and you're so much more. Off-tanking in a pinch, or soft controlling for days, or soloing AVs when teaming gets slow. (Full disclosure, I own stock in Tenebrous Tentacles, and I want you to buy some too.)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Kai Moon said:

Anyone who wants to do a strict primary build, fine, your character, your rules.

For my part, I'd rather have a teammate who knows how primary and secondary powers synergize. Take cold domination, for instance. It's all right by itself, def is handy, heat loss is nice, sleet is OP. But what about the other 90% of the fight when you're doing nothing? Throw in a blast set and you're so much more. Off-tanking in a pinch, or soft controlling for days, or soloing AVs when teaming gets slow. (Full disclosure, I own stock in Tenebrous Tentacles, and I want you to buy some too.)

I'd say that the biggest disconnect is the "primary role" mindset vs expectations from other teammates, and that's where a lot of friction comes from.  Most experienced players. IMO, play very self-sufficient characters;  They don't need a personal heal or buff-bot, but certainly appreciate how a well timed & placed buff/debuff/control effect can turn the tide of battle or make the overall experience more enjoyable.  Thus, if they encounter one of these "dedicated" characters, it would seem that such players are wasting a lot of END on continuously casting unnecessary heals or buffs, when a little extra DPS or or such powers may be more useful.  As the saying goes, "a defeated enemy is completely controlled" - helping your team complete the task(s) at hand is more useful than making sure they are always at 100% health, since even if you come out of a fight with 1HP, you're still victorious, (and for many players, completing that TF in 45 mins instead of 1.5hrs is extremely important if they are going to be able to complete it at all).

• Like 1

To be honest, I never understood these posts.  When I'm on a team, I just focus on my job.  I never look over the shoulder of my teammates to see if they're doing theirs.  Sometimes I look at cool costumes, and I always notice cool names.  Backstories, too if I have the time before the mission starts.  But once we enter combat, I'm either looking for the biggest threat, or I'm hitting the biggest threat.  If I'm losing endurance or hitpoints too quickly, I adjust my pace so I pull less agro.  Then, if needed, I address the problem in my build later.  If a teammate is losing HP too fast, I try to see what enemy is giving them trouble, and I move that to the top of my biggest threat list so I can be a better teammate.   I don't blame everyone else on the team.  And I can honestly say as long as COH has been in existence, I've never, looked at a teammate's build in game to critique what they did wrong.  If I was on a team with the worst built toons in the game I wouldn't know it.  And, I probably would be having fun.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

12 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Not only victorious but no less effective, perhaps even more effective at least in some sense ... 

And by that I'm thinking of 2 things.

1. SR is pretty much guaranteed to have its resistances capped
  2. Any defender on a heavily banged up team is seeing a substantial end discount
  3. Other??

You mean SR has capped defense.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

22 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

You mean SR has capped defense.

It wasn't quoted, but I think that was in response to @biostem's comment about being victorious even with 1hp left.   At that point, an SR would have ~+60% res(all) from scaling resistances.  Although usually an SR build tries to add a base layer of resistance from IOs so their res is capped before they actually reach 1hp.  🤪

1 minute ago, ZemX said:

It wasn't quoted, but I think that was in response to @biostem's comment about being victorious even with 1hp left.   At that point, an SR would have ~+60% res(all) from scaling resistances.  Although usually an SR build tries to add a base layer of resistance from IOs so their res is capped before they actually reach 1hp.  🤪

A character at 1 HP so I can get a end discount isn't the win people think it is.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

A character at 1 HP so I can get a end discount isn't the win people think it is.

Yes I was referring to SR's scaling resists or for that matter anyone with the proc.

And I agree mostly the end discount is not all that, but in can be.  I was on an Empath, 4 down fighting Woodsman, 2 injured up and fighting.  Very spread out at that point.  I was flying (not Hover, too slow at that point), blasting and trying to keep those two up who seemed to be a bazillion miles apart. Recovery Aura has dropped ... were screwed except that end discount definitely kept me going full tilt.  We recovered the others rejoined and finished him.