Anyone else notice a slowly increasing number of people joining groups just to solo?

Bob_Loblaw

16 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I've noticed this trend, and it seems to be happening more and more over the past year or so; when I join a group there is almost always one, sometimes two, people that just run off on their own to solo. Not just going the wrong way down a tunnel and getting split from the group, but, rather purposely going off on their own. Why join a group just to solo? All it does is weaken the main group and slow progress. Is it a "look at what I can do?" (i.e. Stuart from MadTV), thinking that everyone else in the group will be impressed? 

Maybe start over, because for me it has nothing to do with 'look at what I can do', and everything to do with 'ok, I'm punching corpses here'.   From the perspective of Scrappers for me(which is what I often play).

1 .What kind of teams are you talking about?  It might not be wise for the team to split during Posi 1 or 2, or Hollows missions, or +4 PI radios where 'everyone is welcome'.   I'm less likely to veer off from the team in those situations because not only am I getting hits in, maybe I'm keeping guys off squishies.  At that point, if team members are dying, then it's communication time.  'Hey Leroy, we're dying back here, mind givin' us a hand'?  Although for my part I keep an eye on team health.  I don't only play Scrappers.  (you did mention low level teams in your second post)

2. Or are you talking about all content including a Citadel, Manticore, or Numina Task Force at +1 or +2?  Or a level 38 mission team that's blasting mobs to smithereens in a few seconds with nary a scratch?  I'm more likely to go find good trouble in these situations, and am almost certainly helping the team defeat mobs faster because I'm not swinging my mace at corpses.  (you seemed to also imply all teams in your second post)

Final thought for me:  My character doesn't have to be standing next to your character to have fun in Team Chat.

Edited by Ignatz the Insane
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sovera said:

It's being efficient. No, trust me, it's not a personal insult lobbed at your face. No, it's not about secretly thinking that people will be looking at the screen and sighing wistfully thinking how cool those people are.

🙂

Eight people are steamrolling content. If the content is to find something or kill everything then the main group going left and someone going right is speeding things up.

Unless they are the meat shield. Or the content is actually hard. But the content is rarely hard if one person is capable of soloing it, innit?

I was going to try to say something like this.  But it was already said so well.  Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I've noticed this trend, and it seems to be happening more and more over the past year or so; when I join a group there is almost always one, sometimes two, people that just run off on their own to solo. Not just going the wrong way down a tunnel and getting split from the group, but, rather purposely going off on their own.

Ran into this on a task force I was running recently. one or two that would purposefully try to run away from the rest of us to do whatever they were doing.

They seemed to be fighting stuff so I didn't kick.

I figure they are 50's trying to show how big of a phallus they can be. I guess they really intend to show how Elite or cool they are, but they are really just coming off as jerks to the rest of the team.

At one of point two of them running around solo were bragging to each other about how cool they were. Very disrespectful to the rest of the players.

It's kind of like that one 50 on a XP task force that decides it's their job to turn the it into a speed task force. In those cases, I have no mercy for the fools. They get the boot.

If you want to run a speed task force look for one inviting as a speed task for and not one inviting as a XP taskforce. Don't be a guano head.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

15 hours ago, Singularis said:

IMO, it's things like that that are chasing away new/recently returned players.

The worse the elitism/snubbing gets, the smaller shard populations get. 

Kinda disappointed in a lot of the attitudes now pervasive in this once very inclusive, fun loving game community.

Have you considered that new players might watch these guys doing Stupid Scrapper Tricks and think "Holy schneikies, you can do that!?  Sign me up!"  I mean, where did you think those of us with tricked out 50s decided we wanted to be part of that action?

"Oh you're new?  Here, let me show you a neat blaster trick where I make most of the bad guys fall down with two button presses.  Wasn't that neat?  Now let me tell you how you can do it too."

• Thumbs Up 2

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

16 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

This time I did not go to tells and just voiced my frustration in team chat. I do regret that, I should have went to tells. But the person in question believed based on the previous teammate finishing mission early that it was ok

If your leading the team, that is exactly why you should have said something in /team.

If you are leading, it  your team. Let them know when you have an issue with something. Most people will respect the team leader because they hate to recruit themselves and are just glad to be on a team.

That doesn't mean you should be a power-hungry dictator, but, if someone on YOUR team is offending you, you certainly have a right to say something in /team so the rest of the teammates know what is going on.

I put what would be considered a lot of people on ignore, but I rarely kick people from teams. I probably have only kicked 2 since in Homecoming and for sure less than 5 (I can only remember 2). And, honestly, I have probably only driven a couple from a team. I have quit more teams because I didn't like what was going on than I have kicked or driven people from my teams - I would say probably twice as often at least.

15 hours ago, Ukase said:

If they needed you, seems like they would have stated such

If you joined someone else team, why do they need to state that they expect you to stay with the group?

it's not your team. They are recruiting teammates to run with. They aren't recruiting other players to just run around solo.

or have simply followed you.

Why should the follow you if they recruited for the team?

You aren't the leader.

But they didn't - so, stands to reason they're fine on their own. 

Yes. The leader should realize that they can get someone else to join the team what will act like a teammate and kick you.

You apparently are fine on your own.

Further why would it matter whose mission it is?

Because it is theirs and it isn't yours.

You seriously can't understand that?

I'd call that a win. 

And, of course, your opinion supersedes the opinions of all the other players on the team. Is that your point?

The thing is - that's fine, but that's YOUR way of playing, and it's not the only tool in our tool box.

The same goes for you.

If you aren't leading, you should respect the leader. They are the ones spending time recruiting to have teammates.

If you want to lead, lead it however you like.

But you don't sound like much of a leader to me. You seem to be some kind of berserker that joins teams just to run amuck and do whatever you like,

a floor is separating you from a teammate?

Separate by a floor you are no longer sharing xp with the team.

If you get too far away from each other you probably aren't sharing xp with your teammates anymore either. There is definitely a cut off distance in the open world.

Now - if you made your wishes clear at the beginning that it was to be a team-effort

Did you join someone recruiting for a team or looking for more (to join their team)?

What the heck did you think they were recruiting for? Some jack Elitist that is just going to run around soloing because he thinks he's the big guano?

No. They were recruiting for people to game with not people to go run off berserk and do whatever the hell they wanted to do.

If you don't want to be part of a team, quit joining teams.

You have made it clear to me that I need to start kicking people like you on teams that I recruit for. Not even going to warn. I'm just going to kick them. They can cry to me in chat outside of /team so I can put them on ignore. 

Teaming is for teaming. The chat for teams is /team for a reason

But I guess that is too obvious to some that feel they are superior to other players.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

wow.  this is where clarity really comes in.  like, it is clear Ultra's opinion is THE ONLY RIGHT ONE

seriously though, as a team leader if you want people to stick together....say it with me class..."ask them to stick together"  LEAD  your team your rules

having said that....i join a TF for merits/badges.  i know the task force, the objectives, and what my toon is capable of.  my goal is to accomplish the mission(s) for myself, the team, and the hope i will earn Recluse's love.  (just kidding, Ghost Widow i love you)  i will split off from the team to hasten these objectives.

i will also race to where a teammate is struggling, regardless of mission goals.  helping each other is part of it, and to me, fun.  unless the team leader says "let fred die, he went off on his own, i need you all on the AV"  good luck fred.  

lead, talk, be clear in the LFG ad, be clear when team is forming, be clear in the mission.  if i could read minds i would have a lot more cash.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, skoryy said:

Have you considered that new players might watch these guys doing Stupid Scrapper Tricks and think "Holy schneikies, you can do that!?  Sign me up!"  I mean, where did you think those of us with tricked out 50s decided we wanted to be part of that action?

"Oh you're new?  Here, let me show you a neat blaster trick where I make most of the bad guys fall down with two button presses.  Wasn't that neat?  Now let me tell you how you can do it too."

On the contrary, I *do* consider many things when joining a team. I observe, then act accordingly to, how the team is operating.

I don't, however,  feel the need to impress or be impressed by anyone . 

Good day to you.

12 minutes ago, Singularis said:

On the contrary, I *do* consider many things when joining a team. I observe, then act accordingly to, how the team is operating.

I don't, however,  feel the need to impress or be impressed by anyone . 

Good day to you.

Odd how you went from 'what about the new players' to 'all about me'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Please add me to both your Ignore and your Do Not Team With lists immediately.

Thank you.

Sure thing. Sound like you are the kind of player that I like to avoid interacting with.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Sound like you are the kind of player that I like to avoid interacting with.

Yup.

I'm the kind who uses the word "Blueside."

Who doesn't judge people as morally inferior because they like to play "Redside."

Who actually communicates on teams and can adapt to the situation at hand.  You know, if an objective can be ninja'd and I've recruited a ninja, I'll ask them to go ninja that glowie.

Or when the ITF PUG is running around like headless ground fowl and straggler's are dying left and right, I'll kick it in the main intersection of the cyst room so all those stray ambushes don't make things worse for the players who are struggling to keep pace with the cyst smashers.

Or when my team is steamrolling and we've got a defeat all with forks, I'll tell my team to split.  If we're struggling, I'll instruct people to stick together.

But what I don't do is come to the forums with an elitist attitude about the way others play, then claim in a thread that I've never been an elitist immediately after humble-brag-listing all the stuff I've "never done" that I look down upon that others enjoy doing in game.

Yeah, we definitely would not get along in game, and that suits me just fine. 🍻

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Thumbs Up 7

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

What the heck did you think they were recruiting for? Some jack Elitist that is just going to run around soloing because he thinks he's the big guano?

No. They were recruiting for people to game with not people to go run off berserk and do whatever the hell they wanted to do.

The people that find this offensive are the culprits of like thinking.

They aren't joining teams to be part of team. They are joining a team to show-off or be a disruption.

They aren't recruiting for team and then trying to run away from their teammates.

They are joining a team to show-off or be a disruption.

Any more like villains that want to step forward and be put on ignore?

Because that is what you are to me. You are villains that are trying to disrupt teams that other people have assembled.

I don't have time for your obnoxious behavior.

Step up, vile ones.

You know you don't want to game with me either.

Let us be done with this so we can all move on.

(I bet a majority of those who do are already on ignore. There are far more cool people in THE CITY that want to game with each other rather than to be obnoxious to other players).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

13 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Sure thing. Sound like you are the kind of player that I like to avoid interacting with.

Same please.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sovera said:

Same please.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

At one of point two of them running around solo were bragging to each other about how cool they were. Very disrespectful to the rest of the players.

Now, see, this is exactly why I asked for clarification upthread.  First, this is a rare occurance....the bragging I mean.  Sure, I've seen it once or twice....in two friggin' years of playing.   And like any negative experience, some folks will take that as evidence that every one of those lone wolves are  jerks or selfish, whether the team is steamrolling or not.  

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

The people that find this offensive are the culprits of like thinking.

They aren't joining teams to be part of team. They are joining a team to show-off or be a disruption.

They aren't recruiting for team and then trying to run away from their teammates.

They are joining a team to show-off or be a disruption.

Thank you for proving my point while I was typing.  Perhaps read the entire thread before coming in with fire and brimstone.

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

i think i win.  he is telling everyone else he is putting them on ignore.  yet he is not saying anything to me.  think i made the list first!

Are we sure you weren't already on it?

Maybe I should have spoke up yesterday in the "Never Have I..." thread with what I really thought of that "humble-brag all the stuff I don't do because I dissapprove of it, but I'm really not an elitist." post and I could have skipped this whole process this morning.

🤣

• Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

4 minutes ago, Singularis said:

Nice strawman. Did you even read what you wrote? ME ME ME

I'll leave you to your childish flailings here. I get that being a forum warrior is your thing so I'll leave you to it. 

Yep, that's another ignore list addition.

While I almost always solo farm when in AE, I was once recruited on a huge map to clear with a few other farmers while there were maybe 5 door sitters, 3 farmers. We all(3 farmers) went on our own way to clear. Perhaps this issue you're having is a result of players who mostly farm, don't really need team support, thinking they are doing what they are built to do. I feel it is up to the team leader to state his wishes or plans for the mission. Not just assume everyone is on the same page as you.  While I would never do this, there may be some who would?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

12 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Ah this thread has proven why I only team with people I know.

VG5nMtg.gif

I was thinking "Yep. This right here? THIS is why it's just better to stay solo when I'm not on a Support-type."

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I don't tend to run ahead. But if the path bifurcates and we're leaving a spawn behind I'll often jump them just to see if I can.

Or it's one of those city map missions and we're curb stomping them anyway (Valkeries crappy warriors, 5th Column, Wolfy World) I might jink left and clobber a spawn. Quite often someone will come with and we'll have a wee adventure.

I don't like speeding off to end room and completing missions, but I'm happy to get distracted and take a detour. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1