People complaining about RPing on an RP server?

Greycat

• Retired Lead Game Master

It's officially the unofficial in these cases.

Any time someone says some place is the official ____, people immediately think it's required. So we avoid it. We don't want anyone thinking RP is required on Ever, or PvP is required on Indom. Enforced RP servers from my experience in other games just take the fun out anyway with excessive rules.

There are a good number of people on Everlasting that do not RP, but enjoy seeing the detailed character bios of RPer.

Edited by GM Kal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

It's already officially recognized as Unofficial:

image.png.e4fb4fdf38e62751cb1e4f37cb3108a4.png

Having something on the Shard Selection screen which references this could be helpful.  But, as the story goes, modifying GUI elements isn't a simple affair.  It doesn't seem to be in the realm of this Dev Team's priorities.

As to the original topic; it sounds somewhat related to https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/31380-new-chat-channel-so-we-can-finally-use-our-indoor-voices-for-rp/

Perhaps an alternative would be a new chat channel that has a 25' range like Local, but dedicated for roleplay.  Then folks who don't like roleplay at all can remove that channel from their Tabs AND roleplayers who want more intimate space for public scenes get what they're looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later

The thing is, and this is a very common issue on Everlasting is that the MSR's that get formed do sometimes have roleplayers organizing the league, or maintaining the teams. A lot of buffs can be disabled from p2w and from Null the Gull in Pocket D, but most folks are just too lazy to go that route and complain until no one wants to talk to them or deal with them anymore. For the most part, the last couple nights my husband has been leading in character MSR runs. (Which surprised the hell out of me, he usually hates raiding in character, but he's enjoying it, for once!) Point Du Hoc tends to get swarmed by raiders both roleplaying and nonroleplaying and when your on a server that is vastly populated with roleplayers, you tend to kind of go with the flow of things. We've had a few that had gotten blacklisted for basic impoliteness, leeching while afk during the raid, or generally being rude towards raiders and their raid leaders, very rarely have we had to oust a nonroleplayer from our teams or leagues for complaining about roleplaying happening. If it clutters the chat during a raid, there are chat tabs and filters you can set for yourself in the chat options, no one will fuss at you for adjusting that to clean up your chat screen. In fact, I encourage it as a backup raid leader for Chaos United.

Edited by CrystalDragon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

On 11/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, CrystalDragon said:

A lot of buffs can be disabled from p2w and from Null the Gull in Pocket D, but most folks are just too lazy to go that route and complain until no one wants to talk to them

true, i have MM toons with group fly and there are certain raids (i dont want to say which ones because i dont want even more drama about it) i cant even Participate in because i can be a 100% certain i will get kicked from it at some point just for group fly.

this is not an Issue with RP though just my 2 cents to the topic of annoying buffs, because often those buffs are not meant to target other players or disrupt anyone but buffs that are mostly meant for pets and the other player just was in range to

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

4 hours ago, jkwak said:

true, i have MM toons with group fly and there are certain raids (i dont want to say which ones because i dont want even more drama about it) i cant even Participate in because i can be a 100% certain i will get kicked from it at some point just for group fly.

this is not an Issue with RP though just my 2 cents to the topic of annoying buffs, because often those buffs are not meant to target other players or disrupt anyone but buffs that are mostly meant for pets and the other player just was in range to

No worries my dude. My post above was addressing something that kwsapphire (They deleted it though, I think.) had commented earlier about how RPers can be annoying during raids, even though some raids were organized by Rpers themselves for in-character runs. (Which is fun as hell by the by, 10/10 would recommend trying for new folks and old.) But yeah, I have no qualms with RP at all, no matter the place or the time, as long as the content itself is PG13 in public spaces, as it should be. Group fly is MORE than welcome and recommended with MSR though @jkwak, especially in CU's sponsored runs. Hell, I'll see if I can lead tonights run IC, just so you can get some of that delicious XP and some fun RP in the mean time of the raid, sound good my dude?

Edited by CrystalDragon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 9/28/2021 at 5:30 AM, Greycat said:

OK, so there's no flag on server selection that says "Hey, this is the unofficial RP server!" but... this is just odd, to me.

At least twice in recent MSRs, we've had people complaining or putting down the fact there was RP going on before the raid at Point du Hoc. One was angry because people asked him to stop spamming buffs because of it breaking emotes and such, the other just poofed.

Is this a recent thing I've just been missing elsewhere, or limited to MSRs (maybe hamis, haven't been on those as much as I'd like for a while) because people are looking for "the XPs?" It just seems *really odd* to me, given RP is pretty evident most everywhere on the server... it's like walking down a city street and complaining about all the buildings and cars, to me. Are we getting an influx of players who don't know?

Or is this just my perception?

It certainly happens in MSR. 

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 11/11/2021 at 9:09 AM, jkwak said:

It seems to me, if someone has their own travel power on, that should toggle group fly off for them.  just my 2 cents.

For the most part, there is never been an issue within the leads of CU's sponsored MSR runs, about Group Flight. It's pretty much widely known that we don't care if you have it or use it as long as you listen and follow the groups lead. If someone complains about it, there's ways to turn it off without asking the player using that power to do so. (NULL THE GULL, talk to him in Pocket D.) If you don't like having buffs, or powers effecting you, there's also a P2W power disabling skill you can obtain for free, and a reenabling skill as well. I hate seeing people complaining about Group Flight, as it's VERY USEFUL for MM's and their pets. If this is an issue for you as a player personally, do something about it by going to Pocket D, or get the power disabling skills from the P2W. Period. They do not have to disable their own power for you, and you do not have to sit there and tell them what they should do about their own skills effect when you have the means and the way to turn it off for yourself as a player. /angrydragonrantdone.

Using color to highlight something here that SHOULD be WIDELY understood by players of Everlasting and those that join the Chaos United raids. We do NOT discriminate players using Group Flight, as it IS useful, and HELPFUL to mastermind players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been leading Chaos United since June of 2019 and I have never seen any issues with my SG Chaos United and we work hard for everyone on everlasting and we work hard and we play hard to help the players of everlasting and I am happy to see something I work so hard on to become the biggest and most active SG on the entire server and beyond. 

PS: This is Sargus by the way 🙂

Edited by BlastLord
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, CrystalDragon said:

For the most part, there is never been an issue within the leads of CU's sponsored MSR runs, about Group Flight. It's pretty much widely known that we don't care if you have it or use it as long as you listen and follow the groups lead. If someone complains about it, there's ways to turn it off without asking the player using that power to do so. (NULL THE GULL, talk to him in Pocket D.) If you don't like having buffs, or powers effecting you, there's also a P2W power disabling skill you can obtain for free, and a reenabling skill as well. I hate seeing people complaining about Group Flight, as it's VERY USEFUL for MM's and their pets. If this is an issue for you as a player personally, do something about it by going to Pocket D, or get the power disabling skills from the P2W. Period. They do not have to disable their own power for you, and you do not have to sit there and tell them what they should do about their own skills effect when you have the means and the way to turn it off for yourself as a player. /angrydragonrantdone.

Using color to highlight something here that SHOULD be WIDELY understood by players of Everlasting and those that join the Chaos United raids. We do NOT discriminate players using Group Flight, as it IS useful, and HELPFUL to mastermind players. 

We know this.  Group fly especially but that is why I suggested another option.  Yes, it is kind of a non-problem, but is it also a conflict if it overrides someone's travel power.  /end

• 1 month later
On 11/11/2021 at 11:09 AM, jkwak said:

I seldom bring my MMs on raids and when I do the MSR I summon them after the shields are down. It's just not worth the effort trying to herd my minions when there are 47 other people shooting at the towers. My paltry firepower isn't missed I'm sure.

That being said, I would LOVE for this not to be the case. IMHO movement powers should be different from buffs and thus NOT affect the team. I know that this isn't going to change and so I'll deal with it.

I'm on quite a few MSRs (and thanks to CU for hosting!) and while I often see chatter, I've never seen anyone whining about Local cluttering up their screen. Most of the RP that I'm familiar with happens at the Team level or the SG level and so the chatter winds up there. Maybe I'm just lucky that I haven't encountered an 'RP hater' yet.

• Thumbs Up 2