Transitioning from Tequila to Homecoming Launcher

Retroman

Apologies if this isn't posted in the proper forum.

As the title suggests, I wish to use the Homecoming Launcher from now on (I currently use Tequila).

Under the Installation Guide in the Getting Started forum, it says this:

Note that if you have an existing City of Heroes (from Tequila or another launcher), you must install the game to a new directory.

Installing the game to a new directory is no problem.  The problem that I'm having trouble with is the next sentence.

The launcher will also copy over most files (both game data and saved settings, costumes, etc) from an existing Tequila install if one exists.

What exactly does this mean?  It says that it will copy over game data, saved settings, and costumes.  Game data could mean characters, SG Bases, (and costumes, which are mentioned).

Does this mean that I will lose all of my characters and have to start completely over?  😨

Should I uninstall Tequila and CoH and then install the Homecoming Launcher, download the game and hope that my Game Account doesn't get wiped?  😧

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  👍

5 minutes ago, Retroman said:

Does this mean that I will lose all of my characters and have to start completely over? 

No. Your account and all of your characters are safe in the server. They are not in your computer. 

6 minutes ago, Retroman said:

Should I uninstall Tequila

No. Back up your existing game files, then put it somewhere safe, before installing Homecoming Launcher.

Just make sure you don't install homecoming on the same folder with your old tequila. 

On your first run, Homecoming Launcher will search for your old files. If it finds them, it will copy all those files (pigg, assets, Ae missions, critters, etc) into a new homecoming folder.

Do not manually copy those files. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, huang3721 said:

No. Your account and all of your characters are safe in the server. They are not in your computer.

That's good to know.  😁

Back up your existing game files

By this, do you mean the entire contents of the CoH installation folder or just certain folders (and which ones)?

Just make sure you don't install homecoming on the same folder with your old tequila.

No worries there.  Tequila is in C:\CoH; Homecoming will be in C:\Games\CoH.  I still have no clue as to why I didn't install the game into the \Games folder in the first place.

Do not manually copy those files. 

I won't.  Thanks!  👍

1 hour ago, Retroman said:

What exactly does this mean?  It says that it will copy over game data, saved settings, and costumes.

Rather than downloading most of the files, it copies/duplicate the files in the tequila install to the new Homecoming launcher game files.

It's most of the files and everything that I had saved  - costumes, AE stuff, etc.

I had no problem with the transition.

It is nothing to fear and it leaves your tequila install intact.

The actual new download time was minimal.

The Homecoming Launcher is great and I have had no problem with it.

It auto installs updates. You can have it auto install updates on the beta server as well if you like.

I think it is superior to tequila. I'm very pleased with it. I never turned back once I had it installed.

• Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

20 minutes ago, Retroman said:

By this, do you mean the entire contents of the CoH installation folder or just certain folders (and which ones)?

I installed these folders from before the sunset when I first started playing on the Homecoming servers, so I think these would be the most useful to back-up.

Folders ::

Costumes

Custom_Critter

CustomVillianGroup

Missions

PowerCust

Screenshots

Also note that these files are in different places on the Homecoming version

Custom_Critterm CustomVillianGroup and Missions are in the architect folder

I don't know if other people back up other files, but those are the ones that I'm mainly concerned to backup.

All of these files can be copied and pasted into these folders if you should ever have to reinstall, entirely for some reason.

I was able to do this with my saves from before the sunset.

You install the game first and then copy the old player created files into the new game folder, but you don't have to do this when you install Homecoming and have an existing Tequila install on your computer.

Never copy the actual downloaded game files.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

35 minutes ago, Retroman said:

, do you mean the entire contents of the CoH installation folder or just certain folders (and which ones)?

I simply back up the entire old folder, (C:\CoH\* in your case). When you are sure everything run smoothly, you can safely delete the backup files and the old tequila files.

• Thanks 1

If you have any trouble moving files, try this:

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On thing to keep in mind is that the default location of UI save/load files is different for the two launchers.

Under Tequila, the default location for bind load/save and most option, window and other files is [GAME ROOT]\data. A bit annoyingly, a few of these files get written to the game root folder.

Under HC, all user/UI/save files are written by default to [GAME ROOT]\settings\live.

If you put/keep your window, option, bind and other files in that location, you don't need to use any paths to access them (in binds, macros, slash commands, etc.)

• Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com