The Onesie

Snarky

On 10/1/2021 at 4:46 AM, Snarky said:

Oh you wacky Superheroes (and villains)  Where? Why? Who? decided that the default super look is a unitard?

OK to take this literally I think the costume goes back the the early start of the super hero comics, the uniform was copied from athletes of the day, especially wrestlers.  Including the "wear your underpants on the outside" look.  Maybe everyone knows this but I thought I'd post some pics.

allie1928.jpg

(I found this cool site with a history of wrestling uniforms, there's a few more examples there: https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/17094 )

The same look gets a call-out in the Watchmen comic, I think, when they depict the Hooded Justice, an original member of a super hero team.  In his day job as a circus strongman he wears basically the same outfit.

hooded-justice.png.0ca1db3044168f5b5a3fb6a9961a6fd4.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

OK to take this literally I think the costume goes back the the early start of the super hero comics, the uniform was copied from athletes of the day, especially wrestlers.  Including the "wear your underpants on the outside" look.  Maybe everyone knows this but I thought I'd post some pics.

makes sense to me.

spacer.png

I don't know if this thread is including the mystery men, but where plenty of capes and face covering going on for them as well.

spacer.png

471120115_Spider3.jpg.ca103f81c1152b9bab0975809d91146c.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

667933.jpg

12a71db5eb9df9aca496f2cf6d9d7c01--fashio

tumblr_l8h1tnE7uB1qazanuo1_1280.jpg

rh6.jpg

497b31166675ea8ff6d3bb6abff5b703.jpg

0c175686213dd3bdfb27c32571a945d3.jpg

Of course it could have been that Superman was originally to simply have been wearing boots, shorts, and a cape and that was seen as being too risque for something targeted at boys, so that rest of the costume was added to cover up flesh.

Can't have young boys running around dressed as John Carter or Tarzan all the time.

220px-Big_Little_Book_-nn_John_Carter_of

1930s-usa-tarzan-the-fearless-film-poste

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

14 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

Hooded Justice, an original member of a super hero team.  In his day job as a circus strongman he wears basically the same outfit.

Close, but no cigar. Hooded Justice -- ironically considering the noose motif -- was a Black man under the hood. In fact I think that's why he felt he had to retire, when a fight wrecked his hood. Alan Moore giving Americans another lesson in what bastards we can be. (Don't feel singled out; he gives the Brits a lambasting, too!)

Edit: I stand corrected, at least as far as the comics are concerned. See below.

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

11 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Close, but no cigar. Hooded Justice -- ironically considering the noose motif -- was a Black man under the hood. In fact I think that's why he felt he had to retire, when a fight wrecked his hood. Alan Moore giving Americans another lesson in what bastards we can be. (Don't feel singled out; he gives the Brits a lambasting, too!)

Probably the reason that he didn't go after Silk Spectre even though she apparently was attracted to him.

How would she have reacted if she found out?

The noose motif? Maybe a lynching event was what triggered him to become a superhero!

"The Black Dragon" Ron Van Clief - “I was lynched in Kinston in 1963,” Van Clief said. “I spent seven months in a hospital, broke my jaw and my front teeth out, eight ribs broken, broke my leg. So I haven’t been back since.“ - https://www.jdnews.com/sports/20160716/martial-art-legends-the-black-dragon-steve-muhammad-in-town-for-tournament

Edited by UltraAlt

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Do I just not remember the part where that's pointed out in the comics?  I don't think I ever heard that mentioned before the HBO series.

(To be sure, the idea that I've forgotten it is, well, ludicrously easy to believe.)

On 10/1/2021 at 2:30 PM, The_Warpact said:

Maybe practice some wrestling moves, jumping off a trampoline pretend flying, probably some Buffalo Bill mirror time.

Did someone call for Zebraman?

• Like 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

5 minutes ago, Generator said:

I don't think I ever heard that mentioned before the HBO series.

I haven't seen it, so probably not. But my forgettery gets better every year, so I may be wrong.

3 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I'd watch that.

Please do. It's well worth the trouble of hunting it down. The lackluster Wikipedia entry really doesn't do it justice.

22 minutes ago, Generator said:

Do I just not remember the part where that's pointed out in the comics?  I don't think I ever heard that mentioned before the HBO series.

It wasn't in the comics. It was written into the HBO show.

"As revealed in the episode (co-written by Lindelof and Cord Jefferson), Hooded Justice — always assumed to be white given a bit of flesh visible beneath his eyes — was a black man, with a costume inspired by his own experience as a near-victim of a lynching, rather than a simply a sinister echo of those crimes.Nov 25, 2019" - Rolling Stone

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the correction! No idea where I got the notion from, as I haven't seen the HBO series. A review maybe? Forgettery superpower strikes again!

On 10/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, Luminara said:

Pink Bunny Suits Pajamas

My wife gave me a bunny onsie some years back for my bday. Love it. Stupidly hot rhougj so I can only wear it when I go camping in early spring/fall. Sadly it doesn't have the booties so I need to remember to take thick socks. Usually remember the third trip of the year 😞 

16 hours ago, Sakai said:

My wife gave me a bunny onsie some years back for my bday. Love it. Stupidly hot rhougj so I can only wear it when I go camping in early spring/fall. Sadly it doesn't have the booties so I need to remember to take thick socks. Usually remember the third trip of the year 😞 

Ha!  My wife has one and has pretty much the same experience, it's too good at keeping you warm.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝