Windows 11 and gaming performance

On 10/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

I've skipped a lot of Windows OSs. Not seeing any reason to break that for 11.

It depends on what you need to accomplish. If any old word processor, spreadsheet, browser etc. will do, it absolutely doesn't matter which version of Win, MacOS, Linux or whatever you run.

If you have to meet/mesh with professional worlds, you can't run no-name, off-brand, hacked-registration stuff.

IOW, I don't think there has been a release of Windows I didn't use, except maybe 8, because its horrors were quickly eclipsed by 10.

And funny, I could swear I heard Bill say "Windows 10 will be the last version of the OS, because we don't believe in micro-upgrades any more."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

And funny, I could swear I heard Bill say "Windows 10 will be the last version of the OS, because we don't believe in micro-upgrades any more."

Pretty sure he said a lot of silly things. For work, of course, I've had to support everything, but at home, I pretty much went from DOS to 98SE to XP to 7 to 10. Server 2000 and 2003 were in play for a while to learn stuff at one point.

Be the game you want to play.

10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

He did and that was around the time that "Windows as a Service" started to get passed around. The idea was that instead of versions or even Service Packs (the bane of past editions), Win10 would simply continually be updated in smaller chunks as to have a limited impact on devices as it was progressively upgraded. And then whispers of Windows 11/12 started running around which caused lots of confusion because "but Bill said?!?!". So yeah, he said that But...

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

13 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

He did and that was around the time that "Windows as a Service" started to get passed around.

YaaS... I've worked in and around all the evolving "as a Service" industries in the last decade. It's a fabulous idea in that it keeps you up to date, in sync with everyone else and offloads a lot of tedious maintenance/update/compatibility issues to the provider. (I, for one, wouldn't go back to standalone Adobe tools; having the suite always up to date and in sync with the industries I use is a vast time- and frustration-saver.) (Not to mention the modern model for games like this.)

BuuT... convenient how the model means it's continual pay-to-play, even to keep one sh*tty presentation tool functioning.

Which is why I use Office 2016... only because v2010 wouldn't install any more. I will go back to a typewriter before I use Office 365 or even 2019 for my own desktop.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 1