Does anyone just like... play regular?

Icy Mike

On 10/11/2021 at 8:05 AM, TalynDerre said:

I've been playing on Everlasting at least two days a week since it went live, and I can count on one hand the number of times somebody even commented on anyone else's build, let alone made any 'requirements.'

I can't recall ever having heard any of that either, and I play on Excelsior mostly.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/11/2021 at 10:05 AM, TalynDerre said:

My suggestion would be to switch shards to Everlasting.  It's the RP server, which to me is always a plus, but more to the point it's a LOT more laid-back about running content.  I've been playing on Everlasting at least two days a week since it went live, and I can count on one hand the number of times somebody even commented on anyone else's build, let alone made any 'requirements.'

The closest things I've ever seen to in-game critiques/comments regarding a player's build have been:

• "Whoa, that's a lot of set bonuses"
  • "Whoa, that's a lot of temporary buffs"
  • "This particular Incarnate choice is optimal for this Incarnate TF"

The only recurring play advice (specific to AT) I can recall seeing in-game:

• "We are on Positron 1, you may need to actually Taunt enemies if you want to tank" (on ~1% of TF runs, only with a very specific sort of player/AT depending on team)
  • "Dear MM, you may want to keep some fraction of your henchmen on Bodyguard mode for this content" (everybody can faceplant, but it is relatively common to see MM get in over their heads from being too 'aggressive' in team action)

On Homecoming, I want to note that I haven't seen the following (classic) in-game complaints:

• "You are taking too long to herd"/"Y'all aren't waiting for me to herd"
  • "Too much knockback, slot better"
  • "Stop locking down enemies before I group them"
  • "Get your pets out of my way" (when they almost always mean "henchmen")

YMMV... I certainly have read complaints like the above on the forum, but in-game I haven't seen those grumpy-pants.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tidge said:

On Homecoming, I want to note that I haven't seen the following (classic) in-game complaints:

1. "You are taking too long to herd"/"Y'all aren't waiting for me to herd"
  2. "Too much knockback, slot better"
  3. "Stop locking down enemies before I group them"
  4. "Get your pets out of my way" (when they almost always mean "henchmen")

YMMV... I certainly have read complaints like the above on the forum, but in-game I haven't seen those grumpy-pants.

Not so much #1, #2 occasionally, #3 rarely, #4 just me muttering to myself when I misclick...

On commenting on other player's characters, I did get booted from consideration on an ITF with a level 50 since I didn't have any set bonuses...

One time joined a TF with a char that had a ton of dayjob buffs going.  (I had just finished their dayjobs, but hadn't really played them for awhile)

Occasional vet levels and badges are remarked on.

However, I agree that grumpy pants are a rare breed.

44 minutes ago, lemming said:

On commenting on other player's characters, I did get booted from consideration on an ITF with a level 50 since I didn't have any set bonuses...

That is simply rude, unless there was a specific desire for a particularly difficult badge effort. Even so, I would expect that to have been announced.

About half of the Imperious TF I join have characters way below level 50 playing for XP, it isn't as if a lack of set bonuses is going to break the TF.

1 minute ago, tidge said:

That is simply rude, unless there was a specific desire for a particularly difficult badge effort. Even so, I would expect that to have been announced.

If it's Excelsior, there's a group that runs Level 44 challenge mode ITFs that DO put "IOed 50s" in the LFG message.  But people still sometimes join who aren't 50 or aren't IOed because people sometimes just don't read.  Not saying that's what happened here.  It would indeed be rude if it was not announced.

2 minutes ago, ZemX said:

If it's Excelsior, there's a group that runs Level 44 challenge mode ITFs that DO put "IOed 50s" in the LFG message.  But people still sometimes join who aren't 50 or aren't IOed because people sometimes just don't read.  Not saying that's what happened here.  It would indeed be rude if it was not announced.

Yea, this wasn't a challenge mode, but since there are usually a stream of them starting, I wasn't too put off at the time.

And I have taken advantage of the leveling up via ITF enough that I did run +4/x8 for others with my tougher characters.  Need to start those up again