So just came back need advice on toon

Wuteva

11 minutes ago, A Cat said:

Brutes do have punchvoke, but it is single target instead of AoE like a tank. If we are examining things from this angle though, then why aren't actual tanks better? 

Actual tanks are better for teams than Brutes are. They're tougher, better at holding aggro and, unless your team is running pell-mell through mission map, will do as much or more damage than a Brute.

Yes, I see Bill Z Bubba. Wait, why do I have to roll for initiative?

• Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I'm guessing the issue here with brutes being on a team is due to Brute's damage cap and the ease in which they can get to it via a team versus solo.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Dazl said:

Sentinels would be the best “easy mode” toon for learning the basics and getting back up to speed. It may not become your main but it can be fun leveling one up.

I would simply add to this that I just hit 50 on an energy/energy Sentinel and he proved good in both solo and team environments.  Not that I'd do a Leroy Jenkins with him, but he was solid. If I'd chosen energy/invulnerable, I might have considered some additional aggression when running solo.

I also previous took a water/willpower Sentinel to 50, and he's a heap of a lot of fun.  My only drawback with him is that I had endurance issues in his rise through the ranks.  I patched that by doubling up on endurance reduction in some of the willpower powers.  Again, invulnerable may have been the easier, effective choice.

31 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I'm guessing the issue here with brutes being on a team is due to Brute's damage cap and the ease in which they can get to it via a team versus solo.

This is part of it but on the subjective side, for me, It's the difference in feel and when I brute, the difference is much wider between how it feels solo and how it feels on a team heavy with buffs compared to how the scrapper and tank feel solo or teamed. That wider disparity is why I think brutes shine on teams more. Granted, you have to solo just as often to feel it and some folks just don't do that.

2 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

My favorites for soloing are Stalkers. It takes a little more care than Leeroy face-punching everything with a Scrap or a Brute, but not so much that it's annoying to finish some of the tougher arcs all on your own.  

This is what I'd pick for my first reasonably survivable character.  Stalkers now do almost as much damage as a scrapper, with a good stealth ability that doesn't require taking another power pool.  The first toon I ran through all the redside content was a Stalker; being able to stealth past most of the mobs makes a lot of the missions quicker.  Or, if you choose to defeat all, then it's because you're choosing to, not because you have to (unless the mission requires it, of course).

And, really, sneaking up behind an enemy without them even seeing you then taking them down in one hit?  Never gets old. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A Cat said:

I think it is functionally more or less about the same between scrappers and brutes

Because of this. 🧐

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Stone melee, not armor. 

• Haha 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

13 hours ago, Zhym said:

This is what I'd pick for my first reasonably survivable character.  Stalkers now do almost as much damage as a scrapper, with a good stealth ability that doesn't require taking another power pool. 

Or you could cheat and make a faux-stalker by building a Ninjitsu scrapper. Add a Celerity: Stealth IO to sprint and most things will never see you and you get a crit from hide (admittedly only every 20 seconds).

10 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

I still want to see Savage/Stone being played so I can see someone in  Granite form using Savage Leap.

I thought about that but the running like a slow moving glacier compels me not to OR i could run faster a not build defenses to psionics...but that would be hysterical

Dark/Rad scrapper. Dark Melee hits stupid hard thanks to some recent changes. You also have insane utility via dark consumption, siphon life, radiation therapy, and particle shielding, meaning you'll never have a problem recovering HP or end. Plus you get an added layer of -tohit added to mobs thanks to dark melee punches and Beta Decay. It will take a lot for you go to down once you start getting your key powers. And also very IO friendly once you start venturing into that.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

For a restarter character, I recommend Brute or Scrapper.  Scrapper if you prefer to do more damage more consistently, Brute if you are comfortable with the fury mechanic.  On the Scrapper I would go with a defensive set like Energy or Shield - they get the same softcaps as a tanker on defense, but resistance sets like Fire and Invulnerabiliy are way lower.  Brute, anything you want can be made to work, although first characters probably should shy away from Stone, it's a dinosaur.

Attack sets.  Because of the numbers of mobs the game throws at you, AoE is king.  Radiation Melee, Spines, War Mace, Electric Melee all have plenty.  Dark has had its options somewhat upgraded, has fine synergy with any defensive set, and really benefits armors like Willpower and Shield that have no native self-heal. 

Or you could just roll a Tanker and relax. 

Edited by Heraclea
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291