Remembering the good old days

BlastLord

I still remember CoH since I started on the freedom server on july 2004 and formed The Unders on October 9th 2004 a lot of good and bad memories but I do enjoy City of Heroes all the way though I know CoH will continue to grow and grow in time.

So many memories made over the years. Granted, a lot of them are of doing bored figure eights through the arms of the statue in Steel Canyon while chatting in Broadcast at 3am. Moments of epic badassitude and ones of hilarious ineptitude both abound. Having the misfortune to deal with idiot teams who expected my defender to heal Stupid, then coming to the forums to rant about it. Joining the Devouring Earth trial and going through the climatic battle at the end without getting hit once, not even by the insta-kill aoe attack, then the second the Archvillain dropped having Elude crash. The jaw dropping amazement the first time I did the Midnighter Society intro arc and traveled to the past sticks out in my mind, although most of the time I spend in that zone blurs together into an unending stream of seemingly identical cave missions. The feeling of accomplishment when I completed my first Incarnate ability, before the tedious grind to craft the other ones became apparent. Just hanging out in Atlas Park chatting with others about whatever topic cropped up in the middle of the night, be it a surprisingly civil political debate or reminiscing about the cartoons we grew up watching.

So many memories. This game helped me grieve when family passed on, and helped me deal with the frustration of fruitless job hunting.

City of Heroes, while never a game I got to endgame in (I plan to rectify that) was seemingly always there for me during difficult times in my youth. I still remember playing this game on a laptop in the hospital when I had pneumonia. It's just a really wholesome, classic game that has really held up. In fact, it may have improved somewhat due to the fact that with hindsight and comparisons to games that come out now or came out since its closure, its amount of creativity and features is really impressive.

I was 12 or 13 when I first played so I barely knew what I was doing compared to now but I have a lot of really good memories. Here's hoping I'm able to make more.