Dual Pistols plus... what?

TheOtherTed

So I've been trying to make a Dual Pistols / Ninja Training blaster work for a while now, and I realized last night that it's just not happening.  As trivial as this may sound, the NT animations just don't live up to Dual Pistols (no, I won't abbreviate it).  Granted, I haven't gotten the character past level 12 or so in its many iterations, so I'm open to the possibility that the animations get better later.  Right now, though, I'm just not feeling it.

Martial Training is out - I've already got that on an Archery blaster.  EM is a possibility, though I kind of overplayed it on Live.  Devices would be a logical choice (natural character with a past as an enforcer for some Triad gang or other), but I remember those animations being a bit dull as well.

I'd consider going Corruptor or Defender, and part of my brain is whispering "aaaarchery / taaactical aaarow" since my prevous A/TA died on the vine (conceptual reasons - nothing to do with the set).  Right now, though, I could use a few jabs to the brain thing and see what falls out.  Any ideas?

Sonic Manipulation Blaster.  It’s a great combination with a lot of synergy.  Sonic is a blappy set, and Dual Pistols wants to be in melee range anyhoo.  The Disruption Aura helps alleviate all of the lethal damage resistance as well.

There’s also Time Manipulation Corruptor.  Another great combination with a lot of synergy.  They both like to be in melee range.

I haven't really looked at if the Corr or Defender version is "better" or if I even care, but +1 to pairing it with Time as I have enjoyed playing my Time/dp Defender.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Blaster:

Pistol/fire, explains fire rounds plus blazing aura and hot feet to use while hailing of bullets

Pistol/ice because why not see if the name Cold Shot is taken

Pistol/plant because you know where this is going

Sentinel:

Pistol/bio for maximum Toxic damage in the game

Corr:

i got bored typing

I'm pretty happy with my Dual Pistols/Dark Corruptor; tons of debuffs/soft control (-ToHit/-Damage/-Regen/-Speed/-Resistance/-Recharge/+Fear), with a quick-firing heal, a +Def/+Stealth buff, a ST Hold, and a pet that brings more of almost everything listed above.  

Between the -ToHit and the ranged def you can get out of some fairly inexpensive IO sets, it comes really close to being the tankmage Sentinels are supposed to be, but with actual RANGE in the attacks.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

25 minutes ago, roleki said:

I'm pretty happy with my Dual Pistols/Dark Corruptor; tons of debuffs/soft control (-ToHit/-Damage/-Regen/-Speed/-Resistance/-Recharge/+Fear), with a quick-firing heal, a +Def/+Stealth buff, a ST Hold, and a pet that brings more of almost everything listed above.  

I'm  just starting to play my Dual Pistols / Dark Corruptor and noticed that I don't have a good planned build for him. If yours is complete, would you mind posting?

I’ve been running Regen as a second set for my Sentinels lately, along with Leadership. Limited in the number of attacks, but great buffs and endless recovery. You can also run, say, fighting with DP/Regen to get some melee in there.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I'm a fan of dual pistols plus traps or devices... thematically it works well as a "gadget" using hero... and it gives you an "active" primary and "passive" secondary synergy.  Dual Pistols isn't a super ultra performing set, but for just fun gaming, it's one of my favorites.  

Also, for low to mid level play, Caltrops (in both traps and devices) are a great way to reduce incoming damage as enemies don't close to melee as quickly.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

17 hours ago, Hardship said:

I'm  just starting to play my Dual Pistols / Dark Corruptor and noticed that I don't have a good planned build for him. If yours is complete, would you mind posting?

I don't mind sharing it, with the caveat that it's probably not built the way most would do it.  I slot my 50s for doing stuff like MSRs and the occasional street hunt, so there's an emphasis on ranged attacks and ranged defense.  Dual/Dark is pretty tight as it is, but when looking for ranged def, you end up doing weird stuff like 6-slotting Fearsome Stare. 

On this one I wound up at 52.34 ranged def, and, with all the -ToHit, it's rare that I take damage/debuffs/mez.  Rare, not never.

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Competitive Deuces: Level 50 Technology Corruptor
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Dark Miasma
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Flame Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(40), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(40), Prv-Heal/Rchg(43), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(46), Prv-Absorb%(46)
Level 2: Empty Clips -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(13), Artl-Dam/Rech(13), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(36), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(36), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(37)
Level 4: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(5), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(7)
Level 6: Swap Ammo 
Level 8: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(40), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(48)
Level 10: Tar Patch -- TmpRdn-Rng/Slow(A), TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(48)
Level 12: Howling Twilight -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(34), Artl-Dam/Rech(42), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(42), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(42), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(43)
Level 14: Bullet Rain -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(15), Artl-Dam/Rech(15), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(34), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(34), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(37)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(17), StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(17), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19), GldArm-End/Res(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(21)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrBls-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(31)
Level 20: Fearsome Stare -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(33), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(33), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(33), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), CldSns-%Dam(50)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(50)
Level 26: Piercing Rounds -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(31)
Level 28: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(29), Flight-I(50)
Level 30: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 32: Tactics -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(39), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(39), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(39), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45), CldSns-%Dam(45)
Level 41: Char -- Dvs-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dvs-Hold%(43)
Level 44: Petrifying Gaze -- Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), Lck-%Hold(46)
Level 47: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Scourge 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Pnc-Heal/+End(3)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(7), PrfShf-End%(9)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 6: Chemical Ammunition 
Level 6: Cryo Ammunition 
Level 6: Incendiary Ammunition 
Level 28: Afterburner 
------------

Edited by roleki
  • Thanks 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies!  Or any, for that matter.  Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.  I guess I should have said that the character is "natural" origin, though I could go tech or science to take advantage of the more elemental suggestions here.  The character is also a former "enforcer" for an organized crime syndicate (or something), but is now just trying to get out of the Rogue Isles by any means possible.

Also, while I appreciate the functional advice, I'm really looking for something with enough flash and style to keep up with Dual Pistols.  You know, zowie, zing, zork, kapowza.  Doesn't have to be optimal (though "effective" would be good).  It just has to look cool.

So sell me on the coolness factor of something.  I don't know what's cool.  Me and cool, we usually don't hang out much, and for good reason.

I have a dual pistols / devices.  He's tech origin, vet level 12 and fully incarnate.

The two sets seemed made for each other and I was excited about planting mines.  The mines did not disappoint.  🙂

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

If you want cool, then it's a darn shame you've ruled out Martial Combat.  Because Martial Combat is absolutely the most giddy, fun, "Whoa, that's cool!" secondary to go with the pistols. 

Just try it.  If, after having punched an enemy into the air and shot them while they're still flying doesn't make you giggle with joy and want to do it again and again, go ahead and rebuild the character as something else.  But IMO, the DP/MC combo is absolutely worth choosing MC again, even if you have it on another alt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhym said:

If you want cool, then it's a darn shame you've ruled out Martial Combat.  Because Martial Combat is absolutely the most giddy, fun, "Whoa, that's cool!" secondary to go with the pistols. 

Just try it.  If, after having punched an enemy into the air and shot them while they're still flying doesn't make you giggle with joy and want to do it again and again, go ahead and rebuild the character as something else.  But IMO, the DP/MC combo is absolutely worth choosing MC again, even if you have it on another alt.

This all of this

DP MC is one OF THE MOST FUN combos ive ever played and the synergy with DP is incredible nearly seamless; The combo made me literally rethink my entire blaster playstyle it was so good,  for the longest time i was stuck in the dont use blaster melee option ie no blappers but then i tried MCDP and it was a major change I found I Couldnt not use the melee attacks and i got a refresher lesson that those melee attacks STILL do blaster level damage.

Add in the dynamic fighting style of DP MC and you have this literal whirlwind of action where bullets and kicks are flying. you have to play the combo aggressive right in the enemies face while using mobility to target groups with your cone and bust aoes

you should really IMHO reconsider DP MC it trully is a LOAD of fun

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Martial Combat does indeed kick backside, but if I have two characters with one overlapping powerset, I usually tend to play just one of them (Archery being the one exception).  To complicate matters, I also have a Martial Arts scrapper, and even though it's a different AT, I now play my previously existing Archery/MC blaster a good bit less as a result.

Regardless, I might give it a go and see how it feels.  Might also give Devices (or Traps or whatever) a try again.  I do like the controllery toys in Ninja Training, but the animations just feel "off."

On 10/18/2021 at 7:10 PM, TheOtherTed said:

So I've been trying to make a Dual Pistols / Ninja Training blaster work for a while now, and I realized last night that it's just not happening.  As trivial as this may sound, the NT animations just don't live up to Dual Pistols (no, I won't abbreviate it).  Granted, I haven't gotten the character past level 12 or so in its many iterations, so I'm open to the possibility that the animations get better later.  Right now, though, I'm just not feeling it.

I'm kind of with you here.  I've gotten Jingo Updog Esq. Junior (DP/Ninja blaster) up to level 34, and it's kind of hard to really want to take her any further.  Both Dual Pistols and Broadsword/Katana feel to me to be meh sets, and I'm not getting much synergy other than theme (but it's a great theme:  a Revolutionary War-era super-patriot).

In terms of flash and style, I expect to eventually use The Lotus Drops as a PBAoE debuff/soft control button (Avalanche knockdown, Overwhelming Force knockdown, Achilles Heel -res, Fury of the Glad -res, 2x Nucleolus).  That should be entertaining.

Who run Bartertown?

On 10/21/2021 at 12:06 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

In terms of flash and style, I expect to eventually use The Lotus Drops as a PBAoE debuff/soft control button (Avalanche knockdown, Overwhelming Force knockdown, Achilles Heel -res, Fury of the Glad -res, 2x Nucleolus).  That should be entertaining.

I recommend doing something similar but with golden dragonfly instead.  They buffed the blaster version a few patches ago so it hits really hard.  You can load it up with both -res procs and FF proc so it becomes really spammable.  The t9 is really where the secondary shines for me, I think you'll like the build in a few more levels.

Edited by Pzn
  • Like 1