Moon rising in the south in PI

Roo2D2

I don't how long it's been doing this (maybe forever?) but the moon is rising in the south and setting in the north in PI. I don't know if the map/nav bar is wrong or if there's something off with the moon itself, but it's really weird. It might just be an effect of turning day/night back on during ToT, or it might be long standing. It's really minor, but it's weird!

--Roo2D2

The moon has been rising South by West and setting North by East in all the zones for as long as I can remember all the way back into Live. What's equally disturbing is that, despite orbiting at right angles to the ecliptic, it's still always full. After I tried asking the devs about it, I decided to handwave it as fallout from the Rikti invasion -- the portal they sent their ships through warped the moon's orbit to what it is now.

And for those who don't recognize the directions I used, they come from the 32 points of the compass (north, north by east, north northeast, northeast by north, northeast, northeast by east, east northeast, east by north, east, etc.), and being able to 'box the compass' (recite all the points in order) was a skill expected of a sailor. Yet another of the odd bits of knowledge I've acquired over the years. (And if you think that's a lot, for fine measuring there were quarter-points, and back in the Age of Sail a sailor would be expected to know all 128 of them.)

This and the "double" moon, one larger moon behind a smaller moon, is some of the funniest stuff I remember from back on live. It's still going strong.

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

10 hours ago, Take One said:

This and the "double" moon, one larger moon behind a smaller moon, is some of the funniest stuff I remember from back on live. It's still going strong.

The double moon was, I think, an attempt by the devs to account for the visual illusion of the Moon being bigger when it is close to the horizon, except that it didn't work well, but was left as is because fixing it was so low on the priority list.

That the Moon is still much larger than it should be was concerning enough that I bothered to do the math to check whether it was close enough to be within the Roche limit (which I also did for Voss in SWTOR... yes, I'm a geek).

10 hours ago, srmalloy said:

The double moon was, I think, an attempt by the devs to account for the visual illusion of the Moon being bigger when it is close to the horizon, except that it didn't work well, but was left as is because fixing it was so low on the priority list.

That the Moon is still much larger than it should be was concerning enough that I bothered to do the math to check whether it was close enough to be within the Roche limit (which I also did for Voss in SWTOR... yes, I'm a geek).

Well im geek enough myself to at least know what the "Roche Limit" means, had the 1st contact with it in the fantastic Captain Future Anime 😉that was released in the late 70s/early 80s from the Töei Doga Studios.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server