OK, what was that big patch?

DoctorDitko

Took me almost 15 minutes to download (effing Verizon!)

Anybody know what that was about?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

Took me almost 15 minutes to download (effing Verizon!)

Anybody know what that was about?

It's because you keep cursing your ISP, and they are out for revenge.

I told you about mixing the dark arts and the internet!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Details were posted on the official HC Discord

Must really be terribly difficult for them to get posted here by our devs, the poor dears!  😃

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Must really be terribly difficult for them to get posted here by our devs, the poor dears!  😃

Now, now.

All snark aside and all due respect to the Devs and their precious donated time... not all of us Discord. The website would seem to be a better primary place for game notes etc., maybe with links from all the other nexuses. Nexi? Nexicles? Necksicles?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Now, now.

All snark aside and all due respect to the Devs and their precious donated time... not all of us Discord. The website would seem to be a better primary place for game notes etc., maybe with links from all the other nexuses. Nexi? Nexicles? Necksicles?

They are just patch notes. They'll get around to posting them when they have time. There wasn't an official list of the patch notes on the HC Discord, just mentioned in conversation. That's how Discord is. I'm confident the patch notes will be posted on these forums when they can. 

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I use Discord, but only for in-game voice. I don't need yet another social medium trying to do it all. 🙂

Besides, it has one of the worst UI/menu systems I've seen since some beta stuff in the Oughts.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 4

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

31 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

maybe with links from all the other nexuses. Nexi? Nexicles? Necksicles?

nex·us | \ ˈnek-səs  \

plural nexuses\ ˈnek-sə-səz  \ or nexus\ ˈnek-səs  , -ˌsüs \

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Industrious1 said:

Noticed a lot of outlets using things like Twitter and Discord to post relevant information for a game (or anything really) instead of their own actual website.

Seems odd, but that is society today, I suppose.  

Maslow's Hammer. They have their phone in hand and it's too much trouble to go find a keyboard.

• Thanks 1

Whoa, wait, <I>we can play this game on a phone now?!  </I>😃

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Now, now.

I completely agree. I have no idea why HC uses Discord. Never even heard of it until HC made it's existence known. But, it's their game, I get to play for free, so I'll deal with it if/when I need to. 

That said, I read the patch notes here in these forums. There's never been a patch where the notes haven't been in the forums. It may not be instantly, like as soon as the servers are up, but within 15-30 minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Ukase said:

That said, I read the patch notes here in these forums. There's never been a patch where the notes haven't been in the forums. It may not be instantly, like as soon as the servers are up, but within 15-30 minutes. 

I checked after DD's post on Tuesday morning. Last patch notes were Oct 5.

One reply above has been updated with the link to the Oct 19 patches, but they were not posted until yesterday afternoon.

I can in no way fault the Devs for needing a day or so to post the notes, but that is a kinda sorta long period of no-info/confusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Shenanigunner said:

One reply above has been updated with the link to the Oct 19 patches, but they were not posted until yesterday afternoon.

I can in no way fault the Devs for needing a day or so to post the notes, but that is a kinda sorta long period of no-info/confusion.

The patch occurred on October 19th and the notes were posted on the October 20th. That is a respectable turn around. And the forums aren't the only platform for communication between the HC team and the players. It is both the Official HC Discord AND the HC Forums. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Casting no aspersions or blame in any way. But... it was closer to two days than one, and if an experienced player like DD was confused, it might be worth considering more timely notice on both sources, even if the web post is first a quick sketch of the longer notes to come.

Just possibly I am transferring from other causes — in more and more systems, including ones much more critical and 'important' than game patch notes, it's becoming common to scatter critical information across far too many communication channels. Just had something of a corporate war over employees failing to stay on top of the public website, corporate intranet, agent intranet, two different company chat systems AND WhatsApp. Several people who were publicly humiliated and chewed out for not assembling customer/mission-critical information from all these sources quit. I was one of them.

We live in an era when clear, fast dissemination of info is almost trivial... until it's trivialized by using whatever intercom line is handy. Verb. sap. to all, including those in industries and jobs so affected.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 3

Just now, Shenanigunner said:

Casting no aspersions or blame in any way. But... it was closer to two days than one, and if an experienced player like DD was confused, it might be worth considering more timely notice on both sources, even if the web post is first a quick sketch of the longer notes to come.

Just possibly I am transferring from other causes — in more and more systems, including ones much more critical and 'important' than game patch notes, it's becoming common to scatter critical information across far too many communication channels. Just had something of a corporate war over employees failing to stay on top of the public website, corporate intranet, agent intranet, company chat system AND WhatsApp. Several people who were publicly humiliated and chewed out for not assembling customer/mission-critical information from all these sources quit. I was one of them.

We live in an era when clear, fast dissemination of info is almost trivial... until it's trivialized by using whatever intercom line is handy. Verb. sap. to all, including those in industries and jobs so affected.

That experience doesn't sound good! But jumping back to the topic at hand though, the HC Team has always communicated through both channels. When it was updated on the official HC Discord, it was updated 22 hours later on the HC forums. Needless to say, literally two things were changed and they were not significant changes in my opinion. They posted the patch notes when they could. Volunteers and all.

• Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

9 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I apologize if I was in error. I honestly didn't realize there was a patch on the 19th! 

10 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Just possibly I am transferring from other causes — in more and more systems, including ones much more critical and 'important' than game patch notes, it's becoming common to scatter critical information across far too many communication channels. Just had something of a corporate war over employees failing to stay on top of the public website, corporate intranet, agent intranet, two different company chat systems AND WhatsApp. Several people who were publicly humiliated and chewed out for not assembling customer/mission-critical information from all these sources quit. I was one of them.

I agree with you're point about loosy goosy dissemination of information, but the Homecoming team has not ignored the forums. 

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I'm sorry to have caused a kerfluffle, or was it more of a brouhaha?*

As Shenanigunner deduced, I did indeed check the forums first. In my defense, thanks to effing Verizon, it seemed to me like a fairly substantial "surprise" patch.

As a Discordian of many years (yes, I install ddate on all my servers, ever since it was removed from the standard unix tools by some damned Greyface!), I admit to a bias against Discord -- seems like cultural appropriation and it absolutely pollutes searches for Discordian topics -- but in future I will force myself to consult it before asking silly questions here.

Then probably ask the silly question anyway.

* "...ha ha ha ha"

- Firesign Theatre

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I'm sorry to have caused a kerfluffle, or was it more of a brouhaha?*

* "...ha ha ha ha"

- Firesign Theatre

Never a problem for graduates of More Science High.

• Thumbs Up 1

This inspired me to join the server. Mostly to ask a help question about a costume piece. Only to discover the solution myself in the ten minutes before I could talk (not a complaint, saved me from being foolish)

I am sad to report that the cool mage back spikes for CoT are boys only, anyway.

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

12 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I admit to a bias against Discord -- seems like cultural appropriation and it absolutely pollutes searches for Discordian topics -- but in future I will force myself to consult it before asking silly questions here.

Doctor Ditko caving to THE MAN.

Say it isn't so.

Throw your wooden shoes into the gears of Technocratic change!

Honestly, I was just thinking that Discord is really just that. Discord. It is honestly more for someone that wants to jump from game-to-game rather to have any kind of loyalty to any one (or just a couple) gaming platforms. It tracks players, so you can track down anyone in their multiverse if you want to (easier if you friend them first).

I am actively watching it destroy a gaming community that was great for well over a decade. The old school caved in to wanting to attract new gamers that didn't want to bother with joining a gaming forum and using TeamSpeak3. Both have far more versatility than Discord and both have their uses. Discord is just cobbled together mess in my opinion.

Enjoy the candy that is Discord if that's your sweet tooth.

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Doctor Ditko caving to THE MAN.

Say it isn't so.

"It isn't so."

I will cave to the man only when the check clears on some mortgage-payin'-off money!

If Discord follows the path of Fakebook, into destructive, Aneristic discord, not the creative, syncretic discord that is the hallmark of modern Eristic Discordianism, then they shall share their fate: The Popes of the James Branch Cabal will hold a synod, declare them excommunicated, and -- if they don't change their ways within 23 days -- declare them anathema, and forever damned. So there!

Even if they change their name.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1