MASSIVELY: Has Homecoming torched the plans of City of Heroes successors?

PeregrineFalcon

5 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Seems some wounds are still pretty fresh.  Some apologies might help lead to some reconciliation.

Is there any hope of that?

Some people will always be mad they never got invited, and there were some very good reasons specific people were never let in. I don't know if that was the case with this person specifically, but given his attitude here, maybe. That said, I personally get annoyed when people suggest that SCORE had nothing to do with HC or that this "Whisteblower" somehow did everyone a favor. But that's just me.

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.

Given the state of Homecoming and the other City servers out there, the continued and disparate development, and the long-term health of the game and community . . .yeah, I think it's quite reasonable to say that the revelation back in March of 2019 was a pretty huge favour to most people.  City stands its best chances of survival with the code free and accessible to as many people as possible.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Given the state of Homecoming and the other City servers out there, the continued and disparate development, and the long-term health of the game and community . . .yeah, I think it's quite reasonable to say that the revelation back in March of 2019 was a pretty huge favour to most people.  City stands its best chances of survival with the code free and accessible to as many people as possible.  

This is a deep topic and tbh I don't want to derail OP we've already done them a disservice and I'm sorry for that @PeregrineFalcon

Getting back on topic here, I don't really think there was much of a chance for the successors to succeed, even with all the interest and their backing, game development is very hard and a lot of these projects were taken on by individuals with limited game design experience. I'm sure the return of CoX caused a lot of interest in the successors to wane, but tbh time was always their biggest enemy here. It's simply been too long without any real progress. I wish the successors .... erm .... success, but I long ago gave up hope that I would see any return on those investments.

Edited by Optimum_Man
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.

1 hour ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Seems some wounds are still pretty fresh.  Some apologies might help lead to some reconciliation.

Is there any hope of that?

If you're talking from the SCORE end?
I'm sorry that we couldn't just bring the entire live community in as of 2013.
It just wasn't feasible at that point.

And I've admitted, we did kinda get set in our secretive ways after 6 years.
Institutional inertia.

It is what it is.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I WOULD like to see CoT come to life. I've been getting updates for eighteen billion years and I think the architecture is pretty. I like walking around places so... that's what I guess I'm hoping for. I don't think Homecoming stopped it, unless they're all too busy playing to work on their project!

• Like 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

On 10/21/2021 at 1:27 PM, The_Warpact said:

Not necessarily saying that ship has sailed either but realistically I dont think mmo subs are really there anymore imo.

I see what you did there.  🙂

At this point I suspect we’d be more likely to see Marvel or DC contract a dependable dev house to produce another MMO than we will ever see the 10+ year in design “successors” ever get out of demoware stage.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Crysis said:

At this point I suspect we’d be more likely to see Marvel or DC contract a dependable dev house to produce another MMO than we will ever see the 10+ year in design “successors” ever get out of demoware stage.

True...but, I figure with the biggest rise of popularity  with the Avengers vs Thanos and the DC titles to me would have been the perfect time to start a superhero mmo.

Sadly, it never came out and oft times with what we have seen they have been lacking in vision, scope, and imagination. 

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

24 minutes ago, Crysis said:

DC has an MMO that's out right now.

2 minutes ago, Krimson said:

The only reason I stopped playing DCUO in favour of Homecoming is because I had it installed on Switch and every update was 30GB. For a single player experience that game can be fun. 

Yeah I liked it as well but ran into the same issues. Downloading it would literally take all day and I have good internet.

16 minutes ago, Krimson said:

The only reason I stopped playing DCUO in favour of Homecoming is because I had it installed on Switch and every update was 30GB. For a single player experience that game can be fun. 

13 minutes ago, Optimum_Man said:

Yeah I liked it as well but ran into the same issues. Downloading it would literally take all day and I have good internet.

The DCUO (and CO for that matter) were fatally compromised by their commitment to multi-platform with console compatibility.

So user controls are neutered, and functionality severely damaged because they got it to the limits of what a console can do, and then just left off.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I tried DCUO back when I was forking out for satellite Internet, and downloading was free from 2 to 6am.

My satellite-induced lag made it hard to team, so my experience was mostly solo. I enjoyed seeing the iconic characters, loved the conceit that Metropolis was always sunny and Gotham always night-time.

Edited to add:

I also didn't like the fact that the goal of the game seemed to be to work your way up to being a guest starring sidekick. After CoH, that seemed really limiting. 

My main problem, though, was the headache induced by the constant ka-CHING of the cash register, it sorta drowned out the game. To add insult to injury, the game would reward you with a *FREE* loot box... that you had to pay or grind to open.

When I decided I couldn't afford the satellite any more, I didn't much miss it.

I'm afraid any modern Superhero MMO will wind up with the same background noise... It just seems to be the current model.

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

20 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

I tried DCUO back when I was forking out for satellite Internet, and downloading was free from 2 to 6am.

My satellite-induced lag made it hard to team, so my experience was mostly solo. I enjoyed seeing the iconic characters, loved the conceit that Metropolis was always sunny and Gotham always night-time.

Edited to add:

I also didn't like the fact that the goal of the game seemed to be to work your way up to being a guest starring sidekick. After CoH, that seemed really limiting. 

My main problem, though, was the headache induced by the constant ka-CHING of the cash register, it sorta drowned out the game. To add insult to injury, the game would reward you with a *FREE* loot box... that you had to pay or grind to open.

When I decided I couldn't afford the satellite any more, I didn't much miss it.

I'm afraid any modern Superhero MMO will wind up with the same background noise... It just seems to be the current model.

They should replace the sound effects with text like they threatened to do to CoH. 😂 

927F47FC-E702-4977-8D42-2D7277D60F64.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DoctorDitko said:

Love me some FREEM!

Still sounds like a brand of soda from Futurama to me. 😂 

• Thanks 1

I played the SoH beta a while back, and the game does work. The art work for the interiors can be nice, but the character animations are a bit clunky. I expect that game to launch eventually, though if it will succeed is another matter. I'll try it since I tossed some money that way, but they have some issues. 

CoT is the poster child for vaporware. 

Edited by drbuzzard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drbuzzard said:

CoT is the poster child for vaporware. 

So I’ve always gotten this feeling, but is there anyone who can clarify exactly why though? Like I’m 100% with you on this. But I don’t have the detailed reasoning.

8 hours ago, Optimum_Man said:

So I’ve always gotten this feeling, but is there anyone who can clarify exactly why though? Like I’m 100% with you on this. But I don’t have the detailed reasoning.

Outside of minor art updates and what equates to George R.R Martin-level promises of more to come, they've produced nothing substantial. That's pretty much why they're considered vaporware. They've also asked for continuous donations throughout the whole process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

25 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Outside of minor art updates and what equates to George R.R Martin-level promises of more to come, they've produced nothing substantial. That's pretty much why they're considered vaporware. They've also asked for continuous donations throughout the whole process.

my only hope is that they are using the money productively.  Like funding a plot to take over the world or sustain a major drug habit.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Exactly this. I put in money at the initial kickstarter. Since then what I've gotten in the way of updates is artwork and meh fiction about the world. I think there may be a costume creator by now. There's nothing to actually play, but damn they are good at begging. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

superhero mmos are bizarrely underrepresented for how the market for superheroes exploded

I read somewhere the real problem is Intellectual Property claims that Disney and DC/Marvel will throw out at you, and that's probably the real problem devs hit

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1