Brief posting edit window?

I think this has been requested before and I am pretty sure the platform allows it... can we please have at least a brief editing window for posts that has no 'penalty' such as flagging the post as edited?

It's really annoying to post something and notice anything from a typo to a missed parentheses to just one more thing that belongs in the post, and have to choose between leaving it, adding a new post or having the post instantly flagged as edited... which in turn means you have to remember to go put an extra line at the bottom, so the Edited by This Dumb Schmuck line doesn't run into your post.

Most forums allow anywhere up to an hour of editing without the flag, and sometimes longer with an edit notice.

Just five minutes, so we can fix small glitches without trashing up the post?

Deliberate ETA: I doubt five or ten minutes or even a little longer would lead to any sort of abuse. (Now putting in extra line...)

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Aye, the topic did come up previously:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/27292-dont-makr-posts-as-edited-until-a-few-minutes-have-passed-since-posting-or-someone-else-has-responded/

I'm still in favour of a "Preview Post" button.  

While Invision -does- sort of pre-generate previews on the fly, there's something to be said about seeing your own post reformatted to match the thread layout, rather than the clearly-different post composing box.

• Retired Developer
On 10/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, GraspingVileTerror said:

I'm still in favour of a "Preview Post" button.  

preview_post.png.65471af4bdf56b02795f77e68dafc073.png

There is one here, though admittedly it ought to be next to the submission button.

• Thanks 1

Another reason this platform isn't really my cup of Enriche. Heavy on the pretty, lite on the usability. 😛

But a free-edit period should be a matter of flipping a switch or two, and would be appreciated.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• City Council
On 10/31/2021 at 7:21 PM, Shenanigunner said:

Another reason this platform isn't really my cup of Enriche. Heavy on the pretty, lite on the usability. 😛

But a free-edit period should be a matter of flipping a switch or two, and would be appreciated.

Unfortunately it's not. We can specify a period of time where editing is allowed, after which it will be disabled; but adding a period of time where edits do not display the message will require additional custom application work in IPS and is a low priority for us at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

2 hours ago, Cipher said:

Unfortunately it's not. We can specify a period of time where editing is allowed, after which it will be disabled; but adding a period of time where edits do not display the message will require additional custom application work in IPS.

Okay. I'm surprised (I've admin'ed at least a half dozen forum platforms) but I'll take your word for it. And no, it's not worth more than a few minutes of admin/mod/developer time.

But it does lower my regard for this platform a little further. I'm sure it was chosen for good reasons but I think many forum apps are better for both users and admin than this pretty little thing. 🙂