Mercenaries as a Power Pool

Take One

Mercenaries is generally considered the red-headed step child of Mastermind primaries, with an average damage of half that of the next lowest damaging set. It has plenty of other problems, including overly long recharge on the powers of the minions, which might have helped with the damage if they would just use them. Mostly useless crowd control on the tier 2 minions don't help either. So, here's my suggestion: make the Mercenaries into a power pool that anyone can pick. They are already weak enough to be pool powers, and this way there's no longer an urgent reason to update the actual Mastermind powers. A Merc MM can double up their numbers with this pool, and thus approach the average damage of a real Mastermind.

• Power 1. Available at level 4: SOLDIERS
  • Power 2. Available at level 4: SPEC OPS
  • Power 3. Available at level 14, requires Soldiers or Spec Ops: EQUIP MERCENARY
  • Power 4. Available at level 14, requires two other powers from Mercenaries: COMMANDO
  • Power 5. Available at level 14, requires two other powers from Mercenaries: TACTICAL UPGRADE

The numbers would perhaps need to be tweaked, but do they, really? Let's not forget how many cool concepts this would enable.

Edited by Take One
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

Yup. I wouldn't mind my Widow having a few expendable bullet sponges around. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 minute ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Bonus points if they're built from the ground-up with customization of appearance in mind!

Great idea, but it might make it more difficult to convince the devs to do it. I would however accept such a change to the "real" Mercenaries set that Masterminds use, to make it more attractive, preferably along with an update to make it less embarrassing.

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

OP - I like this and then some noted having customization would be ideal. Agree! I've made several similar suggestions over the last couple years.

I think having a Mercenaries power pool where you get a crew of low grade minions would be cool. They couldn't be too powerful or game breaking but it really would add to the fun of customizing your toon. Also, you don't want them better than the Mastermind power otherwise you risk making the MM AT obsolete.

I also suggested making a Sidekick pool. You get one sidekick (customize the sidekick's look) and the type of sidekick (tank, blaster, healer etc) and then allow for some IOs. Again, you don't want to make them super powerful or game breaking. I think it'd be a fun option. 

I don't remember where I posted my ideas and I don't want to dig through looking for them. But, yes, I'd like to see this stuff! 

You know, I kind of thought this was a joke suggestion at first . . . but I'm warming up to it as a potential improvement.

Although . . .  as a Pool Set, there is a slight issue with getting Spec Ops at level 4.  Since it's theoretically possible already (although, I hope no one does this in error presently) a Mastermind can skip their Henchpet Powers and take the Upgrade Powers, it perhaps make sense to swap Spec Ops and Equip in the order there.

I think that completely Customizable NPC Sidekicks should be unlocked through a separate process from Pools though.  Perhaps tied in to the Anti-Incarnate System that I eternally dream of.

Mercs are crap lmao. But yeah, having pets at that level uuuuh what if it were an epic pool? Thoughts? You can control which archetypes get it like that, though Mastermind with Mercs/something/Mercs would be lmao if an unnecessary stress on servers.

Edited by Shazbotacus

2 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

I think having a Mercenaries power pool where you get a crew of low grade minions would be cool. They couldn't be too powerful or game breaking but it really would add to the fun of customizing your toon. Also, you don't want them better than the Mastermind power otherwise you risk making the MM AT obsolete.

Mercs is one of the weakest primaries in the game.  "Powerful or game breaking" is mutually exclusive with mercs.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Take One said:

A Merc MM can double up their numbers with this pool, and thus approach the average damage of a real Mastermind.

Sad but true.  😒

• Thumbs Up 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

As a pool, it would have to have one of those bonus travel powers. So I suggest the third power, Equip Mercs, comes with the travel side power...

Palanquin of Mars

The medic and one of the other soldiers pick up a stretcher and your character lays on it. You can then run, laid out on the stretcher, at an increased speed. Not quite superspeed levels, but somewhere in the middle. The other mercs can keep up just fine.

Edited by TraumaTrain
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

As a pool, it would have to have one of those bonus travel powers. So I suggest the third power, Equip Mercs, comes with the travel side power...

Palanquin of Mars

The medic and one of the other soldiers pick up a stretcher and your character lays on it. You can then run, laid out on the stretcher, at an increased speed. Not quite superspeed levels, but somewhere in the middle. The other mercs can keep up just fine.

We could use that pose from Doctor Aeon in in that one Super Seekrit Page 3 Spoiler Photo for our characters laying there, that'd be great.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝