The Mechanics of Exemplar (or playing a lowbie gracefully)

So, at one time, in olden days, when you did Posi in your 30s or helped someone out in the Hollows, your character reverted to the powers they had at that level (in the order you got them) which made the exact level you picked up a travel power and others rather important and respecs had to be carefully maneuvered because of how slots fell. You got to keep all your slots however you had distributed them, but if you were 21 your SOs acted like DOs and if you were 11 they acted like Training.

Now things are more complicated. First, you can dump slots in any order during respec. But I also noticed when exemplared that I get a mess of powers I shouldn't have at a level (though I can't quite tell the logic of the cut off, I'm not complaining). At first I thought it was any power you could possibly have accessed at that level, but I enjoyed Field Operative when running Synapse which shouldn't be possible.

Then there is the question of IOs. If I have level 35 IOs and I'm running at 25 do they run full or just at level 25 strength?

I've noticed that some folks like to get lower level IO sets and I've heard that's because the bonuses are lost if you drop below their level. Is that actually the case? I mean, if I have a Posi Blast set all different levels 35/33/31/29/27 and I'm level 30 on a team are only two of those IOs actually giving me bonuses?  Or are people only talking about unique IOs that specifically give a flat benefit like LotG?

Sorry if this sounds elementary, it doesn't feel that way to me after being gone for so long (and I'm not sure I understood it all before I left).

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

The rule is three levels below, so you'd only lose one of those bonuses at level 30. But with the market having attuned ios at the same price as un- now there's no reason to lose bonuses when exemped unless you're 3 levels below the lowest level the set is available in, or it's a set you preferred using boosters on.

The rule is three levels below, so you'd only lose one of those bonuses at level 30. But with the market having attuned ios at the same price as un- now there's no reason to lose bonuses when exemped unless you're 3 levels below the lowest level the set is available in, or it's a set you preferred using boosters on.

File under "I could have just read PWiki again..."

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Exemplar_Effects_on_Enhancements

search PW before posting on the forum... search PW before posting on the forum...

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

So regarding powers the rule is quite simple, you keep any powers that you took up to five levels above your current level. So if you're exemplared down to level 15 you'll keep any powers you picked up to level 20.

Regarding sets, as Veelectric pointed out you keep set bonuses up to 3 levels below the IO level with the exception of purple sets and PvP which always keep them. Additionally you can also get Attuned IO sets which will keep set bonuses down to three levels below the minimum level of the set.

As for how your enhancement effects scale while exemplared. That's kind of complicated so I'll just point you at the wiki:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Exemplar_Effects_on_Enhancements

Defender Smash!