Leadership: Assault

Mack008

Currently Assault only takes two enhancements:  Recharge Reduction (why?) and Endurance Reduction.  

Suggestion 1:  Allow normal Damage enhancements to be slotted, which would increase the damage bonus.

Suggestion 2:  Allow any Damage IO set (Melee, Melee AoE, Ranged, Ranged AoE...) to be slotted, so players can get set bonuses. 

As for your first question, any power that does not ignore recharge bonuses can be slotted for recharge. Whether it's worth the slot is a different matter.

As for your suggestions, it's impossible to enhance damage buffs (and conversely damage debuffs) without breaking the game because of how closely damage and damage resistance are tied to each other in the game's code. Basically, if I were able to enhance a power's damage bonus, any resistance I had would affect that power's damage bonus as well.

• Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, Mack008 said:

Currently Assault only takes two enhancements:  Recharge Reduction (why?) and Endurance Reduction.  

Suggestion 1:  Allow normal Damage enhancements to be slotted, which would increase the damage bonus.

Suggestion 2:  Allow any Damage IO set (Melee, Melee AoE, Ranged, Ranged AoE...) to be slotted, so players can get set bonuses. 

1) Any power that has a recharge time takes recharge reduction enhancements. 

2) AFAIK, +DMG and damage bonus (which is how Assault works) are two separate things and  do not interact with each other directly. 

2a) Therefore, suggestion 1 would need power recoding to (probably) happen, which we all know is a giant festering pain in the ass to do. 

3) Suggestion 2 ignores the entire reasoning behind slotting anything at all, because (other than recharge and endurance, which are the only enhancable values for the power) set IOs wouldn't do anything to help the power itself. 

Also also: sometimes having a power that's out of the box awesome with only the one base slot (which is rare) is a GOOD thing and should be celebrated. 

If assault could maybe add, I don't know, an unenhanceble 5% recharge (which does add to overall damage)? I'd be interested in seeing that. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Leadership is a great powerset and isn’t something that needs changes imo.

Assault is less enhanceable due to the nature of what it does, but generally that is a useful thing!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I'm not 100% sure, but if my understanding of how the coding works in relation to enabling Invention Sets on various Powers, it would be possible to create a new category of Invention:  Damage Bonus.
While the individual Enhancements in such a Set would not be able to directly modify the value of the +Damage Bonus in Assault (or Siphon Power, or Fulcrum Shift, et cetera), it would be possible to create a series of Set Bonuses which focus on things like Global +Damage Bonus for a player.

Likewise for Powers which have -Resistance Debuff.  Can't directly enhance it, but they -could- create an entirely new category of Inventions that can be slotted in to such Powers (ie:  Sonic Siphon, Envenom, et cetera).

2 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

2) AFAIK, +DMG and damage bonus (which is how Assault works) are two separate things and  do not interact with each other directly.

Assault gives +damage though. They're not seperate, just two terms for the same thing. There's a few powers that do add outright bonus damage seperately from +damage that sometimes also say +damage in their tooltop but usually you can tell the difference by them specifying a damage type in their long description. Fiery Embrace is the only one that doesn't, I think, because way back when it actually was just +damage and they didn't update its description when they revamped how it works.

The bigger issue with allowing enhancements in +damage powers is that damage enhancements ARE +damage under the hood. So if you made a +damage power enhanceable, it'd be enhancing itself. Especially in the case of a toggle like Assault this would result in the damage bonus increasing infinitely and exponentially, likely until the number overflowed the variable it's using in the code and the server crashed.

• Like 1

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?