Who plays CoX in the most unusual way?

DougGraves

6 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I still enjoy soloing the DA arcs.

Those and the EB/AV related content to test out builds. I'm willing to repeat anything DA and not just farm Heather. Some arcs are simply quick enough I would rather have the variety. I really should poke my head into AE for missions just to see something different even if I'm not getting merits, incarnate drops, etc.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

13 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

This reminds me, I was thinking of making an exploration character to try to explore every nook and cranny in every zone. 

Stalker

Best way to explore everywhere without getting stomped.  My first real "now I get it" character was a stalker, and I really appreciated being able to wander about without being seen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Stalker

Best way to explore everywhere without getting stomped.  My first real "now I get it" character was a stalker, and I really appreciated being able to wander about without being seen.

Great now I have to come up with the powers, I only have 1 stalker in my cadre right now EM/EA....*wanders off to stalker forum*

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

3 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Great now I have to come up with the powers, I only have 1 stalker in my cadre right now EM/EA....*wanders off to stalker forum*

May I recommend Elec/SD?

Since it's a solo project you'll get to use AS more often than on a team, and Elec's AS sounds like a rattlesnake during the wind-up. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 minute ago, InvaderStych said:

May I recommend Elec/SD?

Since it's a solo project you'll get to use AS more often than on a team, and Elec's AS sounds like a rattlesnake during the wind-up. 😉

I am a finicky finicky mf, that being said I *had* one and deleted. The post 50+ sorta soured me on the build.

• Haha 1

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I have several lvl 50 characters that lvld quickly.

I go back and spend  a month or two just on one.

I get the Incarnates and as many badges as I can.

Currently spent the last two month on my Peace Bringer. Had one during live and never got the hang of it. Main ... I love beng Tri-form

It is now time to Change.

Looking at an Earth/Dark controller for Nov .... currently has three pets which gets interesting once Lore is earned.

Actually have a Christmas Themed character planned this year 🙂 

/e poofgone

3 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

I am a finicky finicky mf, that being said I *had* one and deleted. The post 50+ sorta soured me on the build.

Slightly odd to me as I think Shield benefits quite well from the end game aspect. For me it is getting to 50 with Shield that's the issue.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

27 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Slightly odd to me as I think Shield benefits quite well from the end game aspect. For me it is getting to 50 with Shield that's the issue.

Oh its awesome dont get me wrong, just on steam rolling teams its L rod/S charge every mob because there is no time for anything else. Felt like playing a scrapper instead of a stalker. More of a personal thing than a build thing.

Might as well call my playstyle ADD.

On live, I got accustomed to leveling up by running at-level Task Forces with radio missions in between (if the xp was needed to move on to the next).

Then we would run every TF not needed for TF COmmander, also. 

I try to do that here but I don't have an SG (other than my own) so I don't have reliable options to do that.

Now I usually end up joining whatever radio/TF teams are out there at the time and filling in the gaps solo later on.

I'll do some flashbacks once in a while, and Exploration badging for the transporter. 

This is assuming I don't get bored/lose interest in that character and start another one.

Which I do, often. I guess I just miss the folks I used to run with because I never got bored then. *sad face*

I have started another "solo every contact" run.  This one is a Dark/Invul Brute doing all Blue/Red/Gold.  By stopping experience and side switching with Null the Gull I can hit all content except 1-20 Goldside. All of Gold is available through Ouro and i will complete it that way.  

On 11/2/2021 at 7:38 PM, UltraAlt said:

I go to the Icon in Atlas (only have 4 villians... I think it's 4) and set-up the other costumes that I already have planned out. Usually an IB (innocent bystander) and maybe a couple of other variations or "form" changes (変身!)  - Might have to go to the Pocket D and visit the costume person there if I want to have size or gender changes in the mix.

I thought you could just talk to the plastic surgeon at the back of the shop? On the villain side as well.

I do a lot of the things you do as well, except I level almost exclusively doing missions at +0 x0. I still haven't seen all the stories this game has to offer. I do a lot of them together with friends, often in a "fixed" team so we follow along in the stories together. I have a few toons that solo or PuG for when none of my friends are on.

I have about 40 alts, of which two are level 50, most are below level 40, but slowly getting there. I usually play until I run out of blue XP and then switch to a different toon.

I read all the mission dialogs, clues and such.

So, really not every unusual, mostly how I think the game was meant to be played back then. A lot of it is still new to me.

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

I don't have a pattern, since I've only got two 50+. But I do get bored when I'm reaching 50, and retired my second 50 after getting the Alpha, I plan to do that for my next 50, to retire at Alpha.

To utilise the 10 costume slots, most of my characters have multiple "battle" costume, I change them when I level up or get sent to the hospital.

Most of them have a dedicated costume for going to the sewers, because green sewer waters are disgusting.

Recently, I'm determined to play it slow, pause XP at multiple interval to do the normal mish. I'm doing the Red right now, plan to do Gold next. Assuming I'll still be playing then, since playing slow Red takes forever.

Other than these, I don't consider myself playing unusual than other players.

Edited by Oginth

10 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

I thought you could just talk to the plastic surgeon at the back of the shop? On the villain side as well.

That is what someone else said, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I haven't made a new alt since then. It's been a busy week.

I do a lot of the things you do as well, except I level almost exclusively doing missions at +0 x0.

I usually start out at +1, 1 and then move up as the character is able to handle it. I was usually on +2, 2 as soon as slotted with SO's, but I wait to get a couple more powers at this point since SO's are available so low at this point.

I progress difficulty from there. Setting to a level to make it difficult but not impossible to beat for solo or the team that I'm with. 

I read all the mission dialogs, clues and such.

I know others that do that. I know this one player that will copy-and-paste everything into /team that the rest of the team can't see ... if you let them.

I can see how that can be fun to read everything (the DEVs did take time to put there for people to read), but I usually don't take the time to do it most of the time. Especially the clues. I hardly ever read those ... even though I take time to write them out in AE missions that I create.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

That is what someone else said, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I haven't made a new alt since then. It's been a busy week.

I usually start out at +1, 1 and then move up as the character is able to handle it. I was usually on +2, 2 as soon as slotted with SO's, but I wait to get a couple more powers at this point since SO's are available so low at this point.

I progress difficulty from there. Setting to a level to make it difficult but not impossible to beat for solo or the team that I'm with. 

I know others that do that. I know this one player that will copy-and-paste everything into /team that the rest of the team can't see ... if you let them.

I can see how that can be fun to read everything (the DEVs did take time to put there for people to read), but I usually don't take the time to do it most of the time. Especially the clues. I hardly ever read those ... even though I take time to write them out in AE missions that I create.

I checked before I made the post, at least at Icon in Atlas park.

I find that if you go higher than x0,+0, then you get a lot of XP, and you outlevel the content you're doing before the stories end, so you have to stop XP gain. I prefer getting less XP and going through the content at the intended speeds, but with less of a challenge/struggle, or with quite sub-optimal builds.

We're always on discord, so the mission owner just reads the texts out loud. Better team mission sharing and voice overs is one of the things that I miss in CoH compared to more modern MMOs.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

4 minutes ago, RogerWilco said:

I find that if you go higher than x0,+0, then you get a lot of XP, and you outlevel the content you're doing before the stories end, so you have to stop XP gain. I prefer getting less XP and going through the content at the intended speeds, but with less of a challenge/struggle, or with quite sub-optimal builds.

As long as you don't use XP buffs from the P2W, I don't think you outlevel content at +2 level.

It was so long ago, but I think that before the noterity thing there was a way to set it at a couple of different difficulty levels and +2 is the equivalent of what is the highest level that was originally intended to be set up too.

I think it can go without saying that you can always go and do missions below your level in the Ouroboros and it will set your character to the intended arc level until you complete the content.

9 minutes ago, RogerWilco said:

I prefer getting less XP and going through the content at the intended speeds, but with less of a challenge/struggle, or with quite sub-optimal builds.

This seems to fit with the "read-all" mind set.

Do your teams do a lot of roleplaying chat in general during your missions? 

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

As long as you don't use XP buffs from the P2W, I don't think you outlevel content at +2 level.

It was so long ago, but I think that before the noterity thing there was a way to set it at a couple of different difficulty levels and +2 is the equivalent of what is the highest level that was originally intended to be set up too.

I think it can go without saying that you can always go and do missions below your level in the Ouroboros and it will set your character to the intended arc level until you complete the content.

This seems to fit with the "read-all" mind set.

Do your teams do a lot of roleplaying chat in general during your missions? 

I never use XP buffs, except maybe above level 45 to make the last levels go a bit faster.

I do find that at more than +0, I out level the content, but the fact that I rarely play alone and often have "blue xp" saved up might play in to that. For example, going though Praetoria and then First Ward, you will reach level 20 and then 30 before the stories end.

Ouro is a hassle and doesn't feel as nice as getting the stories from the NPCs in the areas they are in.

We don't really roleplay, it's more like reading an interactive book with a few friends.

22 hours ago, dtjunkie said:

Sometimes I just keep knocking the gates off the hinges near Penny Yin in IP. I don't know why.

screenshot_210110-23-54-50.thumb.jpg.abec0c24a6418bcdf8c2daa7046a4142.jpg

I do that... but I tend to have a bit more covering.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

33 minutes ago, RogerWilco said:

Ouro is a hassle and doesn't feel as nice as getting the stories from the NPCs in the areas they are in.

Agreed. I rarely use the Ouro.

16 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I agree.

It appears to be another reason that NoPantsMan is seen to be a villain in most countries around the world.

Edited by UltraAlt

48 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

Action Ken's bio:

"A stray bolt of magic hit this child's toy turning it into an 8 foot tall giant with 22 points of precise articulation. Tired of his life of waiting in the car outside of shopping malls and bachelorette parties, this former doll has decided to become a man of action."

Unfortunately for all of Paragon City's citizens, Action Ken's clothes were not embiggened by the same magic bolt.

• Haha 4