Who plays CoX in the most unusual way?

DougGraves

I have one old school scrapper I have not given one penny of seed money to. She still used SO's and has a couple DO's still at level 34. She sells all salvage drops(keeps the rares) and almost all recipe drops to her contacts for minimum reward. If it's some valuable recipe drop, it gets stored in WW. She is not going to craft anything until level 40. She has, however, been hoarding all the Hero Merits the other members of my stable have been collecting in email. Also, she does not use any teleportation zone portals or even Ouro. She just flies and rides the trams to get to different zones. She also doesn't combine inspirations in the tray. She sells and buys what she needs inspiration-wise from her contacts. She also doesn't use the exit mission button, insisting on running back to the mission door after mission completion. Trying to play with restriction of play style as it was at live launch.

Edited by KC4800
  • Like 3
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Personally I enjoy the pet classes the most. Particularly multiboxing masterminds. But I do all kinds of content - paper missions, arcs, ITF's, power farming in AE, or just goofing around with no goal at all. It's always fun to just slowly float by someone in open world with 18 flying robots in tow, some of the comments I get are fantastic.

I play CoX exactly as it's meant to be played:

Create a new character with a descriptive name but same costume as all my other toons, sit in AE farms to 50 while setting up UI, transfer 1 billion inf to fill all enhancement slots, spam iTrials until +3 and alpha slot at top tier, immediately followd by self grinding 4 passive accolades with minimal outside help if groups take longer than 5 minutes to form.

Then move the character to the back of the character list and repeat for another chatacter until all combinations of brutes/tanks using Dark Armor have been completed.

Now I play the CoX forum game

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

Well, on the blue side, I return to Atlas Park to train whenever I level.

oh! On live, every fifty I made had to do their final level at BaB! I've only done that once since coming back, it's just not the same without it being in Galaxy...

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

a good friend of mine that joined when I did allll the way back in beta had an energy/energy blaster that he played every day for at least a half hour. That guy was maybe level 25 when the game went dark, bu the had uncovered every single zone of every single map thanks to invisibility. He didnt care about leveling, or missions, or anything else other than exploring all the zones. He just wanted to wear spandex and fly about seeing what was to be seen. When the game came back he didnt know until I told him about it and he immediately (and I mean immediately, he was at work and hauled his laptop out of his bag and fired it up trusting that his friendly sysadmin, me, would make it right) and re-rolled the same toon, with the same sets and costume, and that night he and I did the lowbie stuff on repeat until he had got to about 25 and then he slotted up up invis and added the celerity IO to fly and started to do it again. If you ever saw a small scale white costume with blue dots on it just zooming along in a place where there is no way he was supposed to be, that was him.

Sadly he is gone now. He passed earlier this year, the cancer got him when all the Shadow Shard eyeballs couldn't. He wanted me to take over his account and finish it but I cant bring myself to do it. Every time I log in I see his name on my Global list and can kind of persuade myself that he will be on later.

edit, because its hard to get punctuation right when your eyes are dirty. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by rizlazz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

I've ran a couple characters from level 1 to 50 streetsweeping exclusively. It's a completely different experience from the standard instanced flow we're used to. You start to map out the environments in your mind, the maps become familiar in a way they just aren't when you just superspeed past everything. You discover new places, and develop affinities for specific spots.

And man, there is a lot of streetsweeping content. The devs didn't slack in filling up zones with varied encounters, even in the latest issues when it was clear 99.99% of our activity would happen in instances anyway. It's kind of fun to see dialog in every encounter; even if you quickly see a lot of repeats, overall it makes the world feel more alive.

Probably the most interesting part in that playstyle is that when you commit to it, you feel like you've discovered a hidden game within the game we all know and play. It's like going treasure hunting for abandoned relics, all that decade old developer work that was mostly background.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, KC4800 said:

I have one old school scrapper I have not given one penny of seed money to. She still used SO's and has a couple DO's still at level 34. She sells all salvage drops(keeps the rares) and almost all recipe drops to her contacts for minimum reward. If it's some valuable recipe drop, it gets stored in WW. She is not going to craft anything until level 40. She has, however, been hoarding all the Hero Merits the other members of my stable have been collecting in email. Also, she does not use any teleportation zone portals or even Ouro. She just flies and rides the trams to get to different zones. She also doesn't combine inspirations in the tray. She sells and buys what she needs inspiration-wise from her contacts. She also doesn't use the exit mission button, insisting on running back to the mission door after mission completion. Trying to play with restriction of play style as it was at live launch.

I like this... not sure about the SO's/DO's, but I like idea of using trams and zone exits only, and running back to the door to exit a mission.   I'd probably even street sweep between missions and rely on ninja-run as my only travel power to keep with the theme.   It would feel more like Daredevil and Jessica Jones and less like the S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers. 

It also reminds me of that episode of "The Wire" when budget cuts have all the detective cars out of commission so McNulty takes the bus to a get to a murder crime scene... I digress, but I can never resist referencing "The Wire."

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

The hardest part is not combining, using what you have and remembering to hit a contact between missions to diversify the tray. mission difficulty is default (couldn't change it at the start) but you also had to solo bosses. So there's that.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 11/15/2021 at 6:06 AM, nihilii said:

I've ran a couple characters from level 1 to 50 streetsweeping exclusively. It's a completely different experience from the standard instanced flow we're used to. You start to map out the environments in your mind, the maps become familiar in a way they just aren't when you just superspeed past everything. You discover new places, and develop affinities for specific spots.

And man, there is a lot of streetsweeping content. The devs didn't slack in filling up zones with varied encounters, even in the latest issues when it was clear 99.99% of our activity would happen in instances anyway. It's kind of fun to see dialog in every encounter; even if you quickly see a lot of repeats, overall it makes the world feel more alive.

Probably the most interesting part in that playstyle is that when you commit to it, you feel like you've discovered a hidden game within the game we all know and play. It's like going treasure hunting for abandoned relics, all that decade old developer work that was mostly background.

Can you provide some more details on this? I have tried to do this a few times and I sort of fizzle out in the 20s. My general strategy was:

Lvl 1-5 Punch Hellions in Atlas

Lvl 6-7 Punch Stuff in the Hollows, then slot lvl 10 SOs

Lvl 8-15 Punch Stuff in Perez, focused on bosses starting with Damned, then Vahzilok (lots of purples required), then Lost

Lvl 15-20 Punch Stuff in Faultline

Edited by dtjunkie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dtjunkie said:

Can you provide some more details on this? I have tried to do this a few times and I sort of fizzle out in the 20s. My general strategy was:

Lvl 1-5 Punch Hellions in Atlas

Lvl 6-7 Punch Stuff in the Hollows, then slot lvl 10 IOs

Lvl 8-15 Punch Stuff in Perez, focused on bosses starting with Damned, then Vahzilok (lots of purples required), then Lost

Lvl 15-20 Punch Stuff in Faultline

I had a friend who leveled to 50 with only street sweeping.  He mainly ran in the hazard zones for larger spawn sizes and would run a circuit around where ever the trainer and vendor were. Stock up on inspirations, run around, level up in the sweeping (which gave another set of inspirations), keeping going until dead or zone was out-leveled.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dtjunkie said:

Can you provide some more details on this? I have tried to do this a few times and I sort of fizzle out in the 20s.

I don't come at it with a plan, although I often settle into habits. Like Flea says, hazard zones and insps are great. Personally I will move deep into the zone, as the trainer is only one base teleport away. Pick anything that's level appropriate, chug those insps, and chances are things will go well. And if it doesn't, switching to another level-appropriate zone tends to work. At times I've done Croatoa, First Ward, Boomtown, the Shadow Shard...

...Come to think of it, I've never done streetsweeping on villain side. Perhaps that could be the next frontier. Of course, villain zones are much more compact so there is less to discover.

Edited by nihilii

16 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

As in ... actually toggle on the walk power?

Yeah. I will always have the Walk power active unless it's contextually appropriate to turn it off (imminent danger, combat, etc) and only use travel powers when absolutely necessary.

I also only enter any building using its leftmost doorway, enter lifts (elevators) using the doors on the left-hand side of the left-hand corner of the room and will always take a left-hand side path in an instanced map when the path diverges.

I refuse to the use the first two Inspirations that you obtain during the tutorial, but keep them equipped at all times.

I play all of my characters using Hardcore rules (if they die, delete, remake).

On 11/2/2021 at 11:19 AM, Delta said:

I leveled up one of my characters, a Claws/Electric brute, using mostly AE missions up to level 50. The concept was that she was a young girl who was turned into a cyborg after nearly dying during the Rikti War by her father who was funded by Crey. The AE missions was set up like training courses to prepare her for use by Crey, but she was freed by a hero who convinced her to be a hero instead. I did grab the badges around the different zones, but made sure not to defeat any enemies while grabbing the badges. Once she leveled to 50 and unlocked her Alpha slot, I began replaying the earlier content with her.

I PL all my toons to 50 so I can have access to all of  the games content even though I prefer to 45 and under content.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:50 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

Who plays CoX in the most unusual way?

On 11/5/2021 at 9:25 AM, fitzsimmons said:

TLDR; but I play the game while wearing nothing but a sock on my right foot.  I guess some would consider that unusual.

These were the type of answers I was expecting to see. Though I doubt "playing while nekid" is really that unusual.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.