Can't stand "mission hoppers"

Diantane

Doesn't matter if its and arc or radio, they go inside the mission the moment it's available (don't bother waiting for the team). And the moment the blue exit button appears, they are out of there running to the next mission. Doesn't matter if the team is fighting when the button appears. They are gone. I usually kick them from the team and they wonder why.

Is there a badge for how many missions you do or how fast you can do them? If so I don't want it. Most veteran  players (those that have played a long time) will stay well beyond the blue button to finish clearing everything on the map for the XP.  That makes more sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 13

Can't stand thread hoppers. Doesn't matter what forum they go in, general or ones for ATs. They just go in, post a complaint, and soon as they hit that Submit button they are gone. I usually put them on ignore. They probably don't even know why as they never respond even when getting asked questions. Is there some sort of troll badge the forum offers? Who knows. It makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 36
  • Thumbs Up 4

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Oh I let the them know that you get a lot more XP clearing the map, then you do standing around waiting for the next mission to start. Every time some one leaves the team, the leader had to go to work filling in the slots again. If they don't the team will disappear. Sometimes when I do this even more players will leave. What if I need a break or want to make a sandwich. I tell everyone to take 5 (this after going over and over again for hours). But when I get back from the 5 minute snack break, usually half of the team has left. They want to level fast, so they feel that 5 minutes is too long for them. They quit and look for something else. Problem is there are very few teams like the ones I run for 10-12 hours straight every day. Players will usually play a few missions and take a break. If they want to level fast, how do they do that by taking an hour or so break every 15 minutes? I start a new character, run arc teams all day and in the afternoon I'm in my mid 30's. I'm not a young player either (66 and a retired tractor trailer driver).

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

Doesn't matter if its and arc or radio, they go inside the mission the moment it's available (don't bother waiting for the team). And the moment the blue exit button appears, they are out of there running to the next mission. Doesn't matter if the team is fighting when the button appears. They are gone. I usually kick them from the team and they wonder why.

Do you mention ahead of time that you're clearing everything or whatnot?

If not, well, just remember. Even if the character's a psychic, the player isn't. Make your expectations known first.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 7

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I hear you.  Worse yet are the players who enter the next mish door (if in another zone), before the leader zones...and then the difficulty changes to their setting.  

If I'm not the team leader, I follow their lead.  Usually playing a tank, once inside I'll send a tell to the team:  "Say when".  Sometimes the leader says roll, sometimes we wait for everyone to enter the mish.  The key is communication and following the team leader's, well, lead.

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

Can't stand thread hoppers. Doesn't matter what forum they go in, general or ones for ATs. They just go in, post a complaint, and soon as they hit that Submit button they are gone. I usually put them on ignore. They probably don't even know why as they never respond even when getting asked questions. Is there some sort of troll badge the forum offers? Who knows. It makes no sense.

Bless you. Bless you so much.

Oh, and FWIW, OP, I left your team earlier because I realized it was you leading it and I didn't want to deal with all...that. I was certainly hoping I'd make it into one of your posts, and lookie there I'm famous!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

I don't enter til the leader does. Both to avoid the +0 bug and because it's their mission.

I leave when a couple have. Unless I scrapperlock out and only realise people are gone after a minute or two (even if I'm playing a corruptor or something).

I will leave a team when bored though. Which can include because the leader fancied a 5 min break and a sandwich.

Mind you I never play for more than an hour or two at a go. After that I get the boiled eyeball effect. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

I will leave a team when bored though. Which can include because the leader fancied a 5 min break and a sandwich.

This reminds me. I was in a mission on the BM map. We completed it. A few of us were grabbing some extra mobs. The leader mentions respectfully leaving the mission. The very next mission gets completed. We all leave except for the leader. The leader stays and the team slowly disbands. I leave as one of the last few. I play nice and didn't use the obvious comeback, but man I did want to.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'm only going to push back a little here though keep in mind everyone has different agendas when in game.  When everyone on the team has the same agenda it is all puppies and rainbows.  When they don't well this kind of forum post happens.  When the goal is maximum XP per unit of time then some believe that clearing the map is best.  Others say going to the end and getting the bonus completion XP is best which requires doing missions as fast as possible skipping anything that doesn't result directly in that exit button.  I remember all kinds of arguments that used to occur on live about which was better for XP/Time: street sweeping or running missions.  And that was before radios/papers.  I don't think I ever saw a definite answer one way or another though I do believe there have been a few limited study posts on these forums about the relative XP gains for various arcs at various levels and difficulty settings.

For my money the math works out like this.  CoH is a brute force clicking game.  The more you click the more rewards you get.  The optimal play is to maximize clicks per unit of time.  So kill everything in sight as fast as possible and move on to the next map when this one is empty.  If not defeat all and you skip 1 room as long as it would have taken longer to clear that room than it would have taken to get to the next map and start clearing then the net result is moving on is faster.  If it takes 2 minutes to clear that room and it takes 5 minutes to get to the next mission then clearing the room is better so long as that ratio holds.  My guess is over an entire play session of say an hour or two both methods are valid because the ratio of clear to travel averages out and it is purely preference as to which you want to follow.

Personally, if the team is clearing I clear.  If they aren't I don't.  XP comes with relative ease that I have better things to do with my time then worry about what someone else is going to do.  My only major gripe is when the team agrees to wait for all to enter before running off and someone doesn't give the courtesy to the rest to at least load in.  Beyond that it is all preference.

And to OP: for a retired tractor trailer driver surely you can understand the need for speed and passing someone that is going slow you know admiring the scenic view while you've got a load to deliver.

Edited by iBot
another thought.

My friend called him "Subway Boy".  Player says he's going to make a sandwich to the team.  This between the 3rd and 4th missions of an ITF.  Teams polite, everyone takes a break, grabs a drink, bathroom etc..  Few minutes later everyone's back ready to go except Subway Boy.  After a few minutes the team stops waiting and starts the last mission.  They've all but finished Rommy when Subway Boy rejoins.  Was he just door sitting getting merits, wtf?  Nope apparently he quite literally went out to Subway to get a sub ... 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

My friend called him "Subway Boy".  Player says he's going to make a sandwich to the team.  This between the 3rd and 4th missions of an ITF.  Teams polite, everyone takes a break, grabs a drink, bathroom etc..  Few minutes later everyone's back ready to go except Subway Boy.  After a few minutes the team stops waiting and starts the last mission.  They've all but finished Rommy when Subway Boy rejoins.  Was he just door sitting getting merits, wtf?  Nope apparently he quite literally went out to Subway to get a sub ... 🤦‍♂️

22442.gif

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Diantane said:

They're your teammates, not your employees.  Get the fuck over yourself already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 8

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I would consider myself a longtime player, I played from shortly after the game initially launched back in '04 until it closed back in '12 and then started back up when Homecoming went live. I'm all about the XP, but sometimes, especially if doing an arc, I simply want to move on to the next mission of that arc. Plenty more enemies in the next mish. And there are times I'd rather get progress into the story line than worry about defeating the rest of the baddies. Especially on some larger and/or annoying maps. Not everyone can sit and play a game for 10+ hours a day.

That said, when I join a team, I follow the team lead on what they say. If they say ahead of time that we're clearing the map, I stay and help with clearing the map. (Though I have to admit, if it's one of the larger and/or annoying maps, I'll probably leave the team after that mish.) If they say as soon as the mish is done we exit, I exit as soon as the mish is done.

Now, if the lead just posts the next mission and says nothing I'll usually leave the mission once the exit pops. And if they then get upset about what I did and tell me so, I'll simply respond to them saying they said nothing as to what the plan was. And chances are, I'll leave the team if the leader is too much of a dictator instead of teammate.

Hello, my name is Ynaught and I am an altaholic.

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

Do you mention ahead of time that you're clearing everything or whatnot?

If not, well, just remember. Even if the character's a psychic, the player isn't. Make your expectations known first.

This is the answer.

• Thanks 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

5 hours ago, Diantane said:

Is there a badge for how many missions you do or how fast you can do them? If so I don't want it. Most veteran  players (those that have played a long time) will stay well beyond the blue button to finish clearing everything on the map for the XP.  That makes more sense.

this reminds me of a scene from the Monk TV show where Monk interacted with another person with OCD.  Look, everyone plays differently.  I find it more annoying that you kick people than that people complete missions like hamsters on meth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

... okay, I'm not gonna lie, that was funny.  😄

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I swear I only ever make a sandwich while the villain is monologing in a cutscene.

Sometimes PB&J, sometimes (kaff ITF! kaff) a grilled cheese.

Edited by DoctorDitko
keyboard! Mine ancient foe!
  • Haha 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

8 hours ago, Diantane said:

Is there a badge for how many missions you do or how fast you can do them? If so I don't want it.

There isn't one, and I don't want it either.

8 hours ago, Diantane said:

Most veteran  players (those that have played a long time) will stay well beyond the blue button to finish clearing everything on the map for the XP.

I try to stay until the general area is clear and/or head out when the leader does. I try not to leave others behind if they look like they are in trouble.

The people that give you the thumbs-down are, of course, the ones that are the perpetrators. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

7 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

The people that give you the thumbs-down are, of course, the ones that are the perpetrators. 

If the "leader" isn't leading then why would anyone follow? If there is no direction, then what? Its supposed to be a general assumption that everyone are supposed to play a certain way? Because, that might make sense to you? What if it does to them, especially if the leader instead of leading prefers to get on the forums and post drivel.

Once again every single player doesn't fall into a set pattern, assuming that they do is fallacy.

Perpetrators? Thats an assumption too.

• Like 3

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

10 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I try not to leave others behind if they look like they are in trouble.

I've had idiots message me crap because I went  to help someone who might be struggling, because of course they do. Sure, they can exit but no one likes exiting and falling over dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )