Focused Feedback: Emotes, Costumes and Bases

15 minutes ago, Naomi said:

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you want, but it sounds familiar and if it wasn't you that already asked previously in the request boards, that's the best place for things to go that are not related to patch feedback.

For bio-luminescence and the rest of those related animal textures, they can only accept two colors to tint the main texture. If patterns were to be available for bio-luminescence, the bright white stripes would be your selected skin color, and your pattern color would overlay on that. If you select orange, white, black or any shared colors, and set your primary to the same color as your skin, you can get a better idea of what you'd be working with or limited to.

Alternatively, you could have bio-luminescence not accept your skin color and instead, function the same way, but with the regular pallet and patterns.

As far as the naked thing I'm not sure what you mean, since those patterns should be available underneath shorts, shirts and the same categories as everything else. If this is specific to a bikini pattern or shorts pattern being unavailable, remember that then your bright colors would be locked to the same color as the rest of the bio-luminescence texture if that was enabled.

Given that this is the sort of stylized texture that almost demands 3 colors, there's like you say, limits as far as what can actually be done right now. As for whether it looks bad at the leg it doesn't bother me personally, but it was done that way so that it blends well with regular flat feet and whatever other foot textures show skin. I know the gloves are cut right at the seam but it's more noticeable at the legs. If you just want more scales behind and around the knee that might be workable, but I generally don't like to change existing costume parts people have become accustomed to past a small threshold, which is usually correcting texture issues, nor do I like to duplicate entire textures if I can help it for minor variations.

If you want to clarify more what you want in the request forum feel free to ping me there.

In summation; Seer Robes soontm?  :classic_biggrin:

Just taking a guess... I wonder if they meant "Can we please expand the Skin tab's color selection to include the regular costume color palate?" or something similar. 

I remember that "back in the day" it was said that the skin colors were intentionally mismatched from the costume colors to prevent people from having their toons running around looking like they were completely starkers.... But given the matching issues with some of those skin-type costume bits, I wonder if it might not be time to revise that particular choice.

(And stuff the Seers. Kai wants her proper long kilt and Death Mage back-spikes. >_< ) 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I'm not sure how to explain even more easily. Perhaps some screenshots are in order.

Alright, so, at the risk of overexplaining.

This was an option with Champions where skins and skin colors were not a part of costumes. That way we could have fur -and- a costume instead of always having to choosing fur -as- a costume.

In CoH we can choose, for example, Bio-lum for gloves. Okay, we get the stripes, the pebbly leathery look on the forearms. But if we decide to use, for example, the fingerless glove, then that is replaced by human skin wearing the fingerless glove.

With this change we could use sneakers or sandals and not have human skin just because we picked a sandal who replaces the whole foot-to-the-knee. Using the above example the whole hand-to-the-elbow is replaced for the fingerless glove effectively preventing anyone with any of the skin themes from using that glove.

There are dozens of examples more beyond what I mentioned in the previous post but they will boil down to the same. Spectrum? Can't use sneakers or gloves that show skin. All of the costumes that show skin? They show human skin and not the Spectrum/Bio/Organic.

Which brings back what I mentioned. In the tab where we choose skin color we could a dropdown menu that has all the 'skin themes'. Monstrous fur, bio-lumi, organic armor, rock skin, etc etc etc etc. Same way we pick a hue we pick what the skin's theme is. Bio, or Rock, or Spectrum or the dozen options. The usual fear comes from clipping but all of these are painted textures, not 3D, so no clipping would happen.

And yes, I'm aware of the suggestion forums, like I'm aware anything posted there dies in that barren desert.

• Retired Developer
1 hour ago, pixelBlitzer2 said:

I only checked this one specific instance because it was relevant to a character I play, but for female body types wearing jackets, it doesn't seem the spectrum detail for gloves; would this be possible to add down the road?

Thanks, pretty sure this was an oversight.

@Sovera

I understand now what you mean. Unfortunately this would require making everything that "human skin" has and porting it to a spectrum, metal, fur, bio-luminescence variant, such as fingerless gloves. So you would see "Fingerless, Fingerless Spectrum, Fingerless Fur, Fingerless Metal" etc in the list, for each and every non-human flesh type that could be classified as that. You could also argue the zombie texture set is one of those.

The work involved is a mixed bag of labor and time, since creating those texture skin types requires doing so for the diffuse, normal, alpha and masks. It's around 5 new textures, per unique option like fingerless. Taking into account sometimes the gender textures are unique to M/F/H, possibly more.  That's 20~ textures done by hand, best case scenario, just to port fingerless to other skin types. Multiply that labor per available option (shoes without socks, and whatever else there is) and that's what's involved, ignoring the time it takes to plug them into the costume editor.

It sort of straddles the line of duplication so while I wouldn't necessarily object to the goal here, if there was a weird stroke of color across shoe laces that had to be fixed, it would need to be fixed for an exponentially higher number of textures than there was originally. The same is true if you wanted to add some more scales on bio-luminescence behind the knee.. you would then need to re-copy that portion to every alternative bio-luminescence boot variation.

Ongoing or potential maintenance of parts is part of the consideration when something seems simple enough that people often forget about, as well as the supporting textures, so with current engine limitations, it's a hard sell sometimes. Personally I would rather do or see actual geometry for shoes and gloves that were independent of your chosen tights or sub-model part for gloves and boots, but that's currently got limitations of its own.

That said, if you absolutely must have fingerless gloves to go with your werewolf who wears a leather jacket to complete your look, exceptions or alternatives are not entirely off the table.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Naomi said:

@Sovera

I understand now what you mean. Unfortunately this would require making everything that "human skin" has and porting it to a spectrum, metal, fur, bio-luminescence variant, such as fingerless gloves. So you would see "Fingerless, Fingerless Spectrum, Fingerless Fur, Fingerless Metal" etc in the list, for each and every non-human flesh type that could be classified as that. You could also argue the zombie texture set is one of those.

The work involved is a mixed bag of labor and time, since creating those texture skin types requires doing so for the diffuse, normal, alpha and masks. It's around 5 new textures, per unique option like fingerless. Taking into account sometimes the gender textures are unique to M/F/H, possibly more.  That's 20~ textures done by hand, best case scenario, just to port fingerless to other skin types. Multiply that labor per available option (shoes without socks, and whatever else there is) and that's what's involved, ignoring the time it takes to plug them into the costume editor.

It sort of straddles the line of duplication so while I wouldn't necessarily object to the goal here, if there was a weird stroke of color across shoe laces that had to be fixed, it would need to be fixed for an exponentially higher number of textures than there was originally. The same is true if you wanted to add some more scales on bio-luminescence behind the knee.. you would then need to re-copy that portion to every alternative bio-luminescence boot variation.

Ongoing or potential maintenance of parts is part of the consideration when something seems simple enough that people often forget about, as well as the supporting textures, so with current engine limitations, it's a hard sell sometimes. Personally I would rather do or see actual geometry for shoes and gloves that were independent of your chosen tights or sub-model part for gloves and boots, but that's currently got limitations of its own.

That said, if you absolutely must have fingerless gloves to go with your werewolf who wears a leather jacket to complete your look, exceptions or alternatives are not entirely off the table.

I see what you mean. And I imagined it might be like that. A more long term (but is it even possible?) solution would be having the gloves/boots asset be independent so that only the asset itself is visible which then sits on the model, instead of replacing the limb extremity with, as you've pointed out, one fingerless glove with rock skin, one fingerless glove for bio, one fingerless glove for monstrous, etc.

Sadly the game is old and when things aren't built from the ground up I can imagine it to be pretty difficult to improvise something the engine was not prepared for. But it does put a brake on things when we cannot use fingerless gloves, or the few options like heels or sandals, or the myriad tops that show skin.

Fortunately we have Chest Detail with those few options like the barbarian bikini(tops and the Steampunk tops. More options for the Chest Detail with those myriad chest options would work, but I imagine it not a simple case of copy pasting from one menu to the other.

But the Chest Detail is pretty much what I mean in terms of the asset going on top of the model which preserves the skin's theme.

Regardless thanks for the explanation and time.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, Booper said:

Emotes 

The animation sequencer has been enhanced to be able to synchronize RNG state for certain animations that use randomized props and could appear inconsistent across clients. The following emotes should now have the same prop visible for everyone:

• alakazamreact
  • eat
  • eatfood
  • food

I skimmed the thread and did a text search of the pages and didn't find anything on this, so apologies if it's already been mentioned and I missed it.

Since the eatfood emote has been set to show the same prop for everyone, would it now be possible to separate this emote out into eatfood1, eatfood2, etc., allowing players to choose what food they are eating?  It's a minor thing, but would be a help to some RP.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2021 at 4:41 AM, Naomi said:

It seems that Spectrum for Asymmetrical Gloves was also an oversight. You can get Spectrum gloves, but only if you make both of them that way. Interestingly, you can do Asymmetrical Boots with one Spectrum and one not, so I'm sure you're supposed to be able to do this with the gloves too.

EDIT: I only checked the female character model for this as that's the character I was on. I don't know if it holds true for Male/Huge.

Edited by ForeverLaxx
  • Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

6 hours ago, SuperPlyx said:

I am just curious, why is a hair bow named gunslinger? 

It was originally released back in the live days with a pack of "Wild West"-themed costume parts... The guys actually got sort-of a weird cowboy movie-esque gunslinger outfit. The gals got.... a saloon girl. (Thanks, Jay. <_<) The bow was part of that outfit. 

• Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 11/24/2021 at 5:41 AM, Naomi said:

(Though I get why, don't take this as smarm) it's a pretty big oversight, given that to my understanding none of the jackets for any gender have spectrum for gloves - either on asym or non-asym. I probably would have caught it in testing if I were more thorough, I just didn't notice the gloves being missing. (I was too excited for spectrum chest.)

• 3 months later

I'd like to point out that there is a seemless metalic skin for male characters and NOT for female characters. Could we fix that, please? I have tried the suggested forums, and it just goes nowhere. What gives?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Aegea said:

I'd like to point out that there is a seemless metalic skin for male characters and NOT for female characters. Could we fix that, please? I have tried the suggested forums, and it just goes nowhere. What gives?

You are replying to a focused feedback thread from November 2021. Your suggestions and feedback are better served in the Suggestions and Feedback sub forum. Just because you don't see movement on a particular item you suggested, doesn't mean it isn't being taken in to consideration. There are a handful of volunteers who spend their time making updates to this game. They may not catch everything, but the Suggestion and Feedback sub forum is the best place for players to post their requests.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/45-suggestions-amp-feedback/

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png