Focused Feedback: Electrical Blast Revamp

15 minutes ago, Riot Siren said:

I haven't had a chance to test out the changes (I'll probably make a follow up post when I do, they look fine), I want to comment on this specific change since it has been living rent free in my head since I read it. To Be blunt:

I think this is a terrible Idea.

Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic when I say this but I feel it goes directly against the core idea of CoH character builder. It discourages diversity by attaching direct mechanical advantages to playing a specific combo. Giving bonuses tied directly to unique mechanics makes me feel like I'm not getting the full Electric blast experience if I don't pair it with a thematically appropriate set (same for Ele Affinity and Manipulation). I'm fine with these set synergizing well with each other, they all contain end drain which Ele blast benefits from, but adding specific interactions like this that I miss out on because I play Ele/Dev is something I really do not like and feel like has no place in this game. I'm aware this was done a bit by the original devs with AR/Dev and I thought it was a awful idea then (was also kind of a laughable bonus). At the end of the day I just don't want to feel like I'm missing out on the full potential of my primary/secondary because I decided to go with a different combo. IMO any kind of of unique mechanic like this should be self contained or effect ANY secondary choice.

Tesla Cage is still extreme garbage, you don't have to worry about not having it.  It's some extra lightning animation effects when you push a button that is a complete waste of time.

Edited by DarknessEternal

3 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

Tesla Cage is still extreme garbage, you don't have to worry about not having it.  It's some extra lightning animation effects when you push a button that is a complete waste of time.

It's okay if you pop reds or bu+aim before firing it off, but it could use some improvement, yeah.

1: Stacks should last longer.

2: Stacks should generate in a limited way on aoe, rather than not at all.

3: Damage should ramp up way faster or be a big flat damage hit based on charge #, if you fire off a full charge it's basically a roll of the dice which mobs get the big hits on them.

4: Voltaic should generate charges.

5: It should consume all stacks on hit, BUT, The main target should take damage based on stack #. This also solves the problem of elec lacking a short ranged burst attack.

As it stands, if the set launched as-is, I'd be thrilled still. But I think the static thing could use some small tweaks to make elec blast actually just perfect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarknessEternal said:

Tesla Cage is still extreme garbage, you don't have to worry about not having it.

It's more the principal that I disagree with rather then how powerful it may or may not be. Honestly from the notes tesla cage looks..... unwieldly and underwhelming but I'll withhold judgement till I get my hands on it, even if it's not great now, I doubt it will stay that way if it's supposed to be one of the signature powers in the set. I feel like what I'm more concerned about is it giving the same resources as Electrical Affinity rather then Tesla Cage. It gives direct and unique benefits to your support capabilities from attacking that you wont get with a different blast set.

Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker                                               Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker        

22 hours ago, Communistpenguin said:

I use clarion for the mez protection. Also I often play the earlier content so its not always an option.

My strategy for playing Storm under 50 is to keep Fighting/Leadership toggles off and take it slow. Not a terrific strategy. But I don't play sub-50 very often so I boost nearly all of my enhancements instead of attuning them. So could perhaps do better if I tried.

Overall I am liking the changes. Except for one power, Tesla Cage.

I have tried electrical blast defenders with storm, poison, and traps. Storm does lots of damage and the endurance return from electric blast helps a lot with the end issue. The issue with storm is between the tornado and lightning storm fear issues, zeroing out end triggers even more running. Mob just scatter at max speed. Poison just didn't gel. Oddly, I enjoyed traps the best. Since, you can hang out in point blank range the safest with traps. I was toe bombing mobs with poison trap and acid mortar after I zeroed out their end with short circuit. Caltrops gives you enough slow to get them grouped out for your AOEs. Scatter was a worse issue with my first build w/o caltrops.

But Tesla Cage at least on a defender just isn't worth it. Defender have such effective end drain that the other attacks do enough. Tesla cage doesn't proc particularly well. Raising the recharge from 10 to 12+ sec would help it proc much better. The damage isn't worth enhancement, then chaining damage increase doesn't seem noticeable. The hold is just ok.

11 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

But Tesla Cage at least on a defender just isn't worth it.

So interesting to me!

It's the best Endurance drain (relative to recharge) in the set at 2% sap per second of base recharge, which means 2.5% for Defender.  

It's even better for -recovery, being nearly guaranteed to perpetuate -175% Recovery before enhancements.

I don't mind that you disagree, I just find it interesting that the rest of your builds have found plenty elsewhere.

Chain Lightning does bring weirdness into play on the enhancing front though. It's split pretty wide as it is between EndMod and Hold sets, but buffing those means tossing out Chain damage (This is what I've been doing. When I've slotted damage, it was via Synapse).

If you go the other way and slot damage, you're turning your back on those utility/mez benefits.

it's enough to make me think Chain Lightning damage should be unenhanceable for non-sentinel... Except I like my Synapse set.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

So interesting to me!

It's the best Endurance drain (relative to recharge) in the set at 2% sap per second of base recharge, which means 2.5% for Defender.  

It's even better for -recovery, being nearly guaranteed to perpetuate -175% Recovery before enhancements.

I don't mind that you disagree, I just find it interesting that the rest of your builds have found plenty elsewhere.

Chain Lightning does bring weirdness into play on the enhancing front though. It's split pretty wide as it is between EndMod and Hold sets, but buffing those means tossing out Chain damage (This is what I've been doing. When I've slotted damage, it was via Synapse).

If you go the other way and slot damage, you're turning your back on those utility/mez benefits.

it's enough to make me think Chain Lightning damage should be unenhanceable for non-sentinel... Except I like my Synapse set.

A little more elaboration from me might help.

I have Short Circuit slotted with a Power Transfer set. That's nets you -74% end in Mids.

Also, my traps/elec is a high recharge build. I always have a single target attack up. Between that and Voltaic Sentinel, there is plenty of -recovery.

Once, I drop Tesla Cage next build. It will be obvious if I was underestimating Tesla Cage's benefits.

I was testing this build against 54x8 PI radio mobs, Council and Arachnos. It wasn't fast, but as long as I didn't pull two groups of Arachnos. It was safe. I even could survive that most of the time.

Yesterday's build:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Defender
Primary Power Set: Traps
Secondary Power Set: Electrical Blast
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Caltrops -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Charged Bolts -- SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(3), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg(42), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 2: Lightning Bolt -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg(43), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(43), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 6: Acid Mortar -- AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg(A), AnlWkn-DefDeb(7), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(7), AnlWkn-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 8: Ball Lightning -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(9), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(9), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(23), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(25)
Level 10: Force Field Generator -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(11), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(11), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(45), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 12: Poison Trap -- Lck-%Hold(A), NrnSht-Dam%(13), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(13), UnbCns-Dam%(15), GldNet-Dam%(15), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(17)
Level 14: Short Circuit -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(17), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(19), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(19), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(21), PwrTrns-+Heal(21)
Level 16: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 18: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33)
Level 20: Zapp -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(27), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(31), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(31), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), GldJvl-Dam%(33)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37), LucoftheG-Def(37)
Level 26: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 28: Tesla Cage -- PreOptmz-EndMod/End(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(34), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(34), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(36), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(36)
Level 30: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Misdirection -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Voltaic Sentinel -- OvrFrc-Dam/KB(A), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(36), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(37), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(40)
Level 38: Thunderous Blast -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(40)
Level 41: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 44: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), GldArm-ResDam(45), GldArm-End/Res(46), StdPrt-ResKB(46)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Triage Beacon -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(25), Mrc-Rcvry+(27)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(29), EndMod-I(29)
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 30: Speed Phase
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
------------

Thunderous Blast on a Sentinel recharges way faster than other sets, I think it's around 120 base recharge actually. With all my set bonuses, Hasten, and Agility T4 active, it's back in around 30 seconds. Makes for a greater opener and finisher, and can proc really well. Drains a bunch of endurance from the enemy too. Even so, Sentinel damage is anemic so it's gotta be used multiple times per fight.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

More testing follow up. I find Tesla Cage still very optional.

I swapped Tesla Cage for Psychic Mastery: Dominate. TS drains better as expected, but Dominate is so much better in terms of damage and twice the base hold duration.

The constant barrage of single target attack was more than enough drain and shock against tough single targets. Short Circuit, Ball Lightning, and Thunderstrike were plenty of drain and -recovery for AOE.

My suggestion would be raise the recharge of Tesla Cage, so it procs better. Right now, the Epic pool holds are better in terms of damage potential. TC with full procs, 325, dominate 462. About 30% more damage.

Now, for a corruptor, blasters, or sentinel Tesla Cage might be more useful. Not seeing it for defenders due to their excellent end drain modifiers.

Current build, Victory Rush is for teams. I didn't need it fighting 54 Arachnos, even with those damn Mu drains.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Defender
Primary Power Set: Traps
Secondary Power Set: Electrical Blast
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psychic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Caltrops -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Charged Bolts -- SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(3), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(3)
Level 2: Lightning Bolt -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg(11), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(13)
Level 4: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(13), WntGif-ResSlow(15)
Level 6: Acid Mortar -- AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg(A), AnlWkn-DefDeb(15), AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(17), AnlWkn-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 8: Ball Lightning -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(19), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(19), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(21), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(23)
Level 10: Force Field Generator -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(25), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27)
Level 12: Poison Trap -- Lck-%Hold(A), NrnSht-Dam%(27), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(29), GldNet-Dam%(29), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(31)
Level 14: Short Circuit -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(31), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(31), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(33), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(33), PwrTrns-+Heal(33)
Level 16: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 18: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(34), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34)
Level 20: Zapp -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(34), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), GldJvl-Dam%(37)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37), LucoftheG-Def(39)
Level 26: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 28: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 30: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(39), GldArm-ResDam(39), GldArm-End/Res(40), StdPrt-ResKB(40)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(42)
Level 35: Voltaic Sentinel -- OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(A), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(42), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(43), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(50)
Level 38: Thunderous Blast -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(45)
Level 41: Dominate -- Apc-Dam%(A), UnbCns-Dam%(46), NrnSht-Dam%(46), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46), GldNet-Dam%(48), GldJvl-Dam%(48)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(50)
Level 47: Victory Rush -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 49: Triage Beacon -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(5), Mrc-Rcvry+(5)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(7), EndMod-I(7)
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 30: Speed Phase
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
------------

Edited by KaizenSoze
  • Thumbs Up 1

1. Tesla Cage on Blasters is not useful.  It doesn't sap or damage well enough to actually use.  It's only purpose remains a single-target hold, and it's worse at that than many other options available to Blasters.  Making this a decently damaging attack at base level is the solution.  Even Lightning Bolt level damage would make this a key attack in Electric Blast; it doesn't have to be Sentinel Tesla Cage.

2. Sapping is nice for Shock, but it actually has become worse as a defensive ability, now that things can attacking at 0 endurance.  It doesn't take many guys to kill a Blaster even with their weakest attacks.  This is especially a problem because sapping IO's don't come with many defensive bonuses.  This is a problem.  In order to sap, I have to make my Blaster less tough, and he's going to get hit more because sapping doesn't prevent damage anymore.  So I'm still better off ignoring sapping IO's which undermines this entire change.

Edited by DarknessEternal
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

2. Sapping is nice for Shock, but it actually has become worse as a defensive ability, now that things can attacking at 0 endurance.  It doesn't take many guys to kill a Blaster even with their weakest attacks.  This is especially a problem because sapping IO's don't come with many defensive bonuses.  This is a problem.  In order to sap, I have to make my Blaster less tough, and he's going to get hit more because sapping doesn't prevent damage anymore.  So I'm still better off ignoring sapping IO's which undermines this entire change.

To be clear I am talking my traps/elec defender experience, not blaster.

If I can keep drain and -recovery on a target, which is much easier for a defender. Yes, they still attack, but much less frequently, don't use some of their expensive big hitters, and lose some defensive toggles. For example, I noticed that 54 Arachnos Mu mobs were dying surprisingly quickly to my energy attacks, even though they have high energy resists. Turns out most of the energy resist is from a toggle Lightning Armor. Also, I was fighting in close range with Fortunata Mistresses which fire a Psychic Wail nuke at low hp. They cannot fire it due to lack of end, it requires 28 end.

I did a quick look at Blaster values and compared them with the slotting I am using on my defender.

Short Circuit with a complete Power Transfer set. End drain, Blaster 59 vs defender 74.

Thunder Strike with damage pieces only. End drain Blaster 55 vs 80. Also, also an 30% chance for more end drain 25 vs 33.

Tesla Cage with end set 14 vs 17.

Most mobs will be drained pretty quickly with those numbers.

Plus, blasters can take a secondary that also helps with drain.

End drain isn't go neuter mobs, but it does provide defensive advantages that are not immediately obvious.

A video is worth a thousand posts. A quick fight with one group of 54 Arachnos.

• No Tesla Cage
  • Proc'ed out Dominate
  • I am dropping World of Confusion next build, so I didn't use it
  • Mu Guardian bosses are still very energy resistant, but the lts and minions go down pretty with no end
  • Note, how little return fire I am taking
  • Build is still work in progress. Need more binds.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Thunderous Blast on a Sentinel recharges way faster than other sets, I think it's around 120 base recharge actually. With all my set bonuses, Hasten, and Agility T4 active, it's back in around 30 seconds. Makes for a greater opener and finisher, and can proc really well. Drains a bunch of endurance from the enemy too. Even so, Sentinel damage is anemic so it's gotta be used multiple times per fight.

I've been noticing these Sentinel advantages.

I'm very likely going to end up rolling one to go with my 2x elec blasters (literally the only set I've ever duplicated on the same AT).

But just to protect the poor sentinels a bit: remember that Sentinel Nukes are designed to be inline with Lightning Rod; not the true nukes they're named for.

6 hours ago, DarknessEternal said:

1. Tesla Cage on Blasters is not useful.  It doesn't sap or damage well enough to actually use.  It's only purpose remains a single-target hold, and it's worse at that than many other options available to Blasters.  Making this a decently damaging attack at base level is the solution.  Even Lightning Bolt level damage would make this a key attack in Electric Blast; it doesn't have to be Sentinel Tesla Cage.

Being able to attack when drained only applies to AVs and Monsters. I don’t see how that’s a problem.

Edited by Wavicle
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DarknessEternal said:

I was strictly comparing to live.  A mob with 0 endurance on live attacks way less frequently since they have no free attacks (they do get to attack with 1 end though).

On beta, 0 end is barely an inconvenience to their offense against a Blaster.

This is exclusive to AVs and GMs.

Regular mobs, up to and including EBs, can be completely sapped to 0 and stare at you with angst.

E: damnit @Wavicle

Edited by Replacement
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I've been noticing these Sentinel advantages.

I'm very likely going to end up rolling one to go with my 2x elec blasters (literally the only set I've ever duplicated on the same AT).

But just to protect the poor sentinels a bit: remember that Sentinel Nukes are designed to be inline with Lightning Rod; not the true nukes they're named for.

Agreed on your last point. I think with these changes Electric Blast will be in a good place on Sentinels.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

It's also really helpful to power analyze and monitor their Endurance and Recovery when testing. A lot of times where they will activate a power, it's because their Recovery stat is flickering  - meaning not floored, which means they WILL eventually gain a tick, which immediately goes to their queued power before it is possible to sap it.

(This is why -recovery is more important for maintaining an existing Sap).

Edited by Replacement
  • Thumbs Up 1