Book Of Boba Fett

On 2/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I'm not sure that's what I'd call context... per... se... er...

[blink]

...ahem. Moving swiftly on:

Hide contents
  • Slightly disjointed ep this week but an awful lot of fun stuff to play with for Ep 7.
  • The pieces are moving into position for the final battle. The settlers, the Mods, the Gamorrean twins, probably Pelli and some jury rigged traps, and a bunch of Jawas, plus three trained killers against... well, a small army, and one lead badass. Do we like those odds?
  • So... are we going Magnificent Seven? If so, not everybody makes it out. Mando already has S3 confirmed - unless they're playing with us - so either or both of Fennec and Boba himself may be on the line, as well as any minor character.
  • Luke is not being the best teacher he could be here. As he points out, Grogu has all the time in the world, so he could follow either path. Or maybe both.
  • Long shot, but Grogu and/or Luke might show up too.
  • Biggest cheer in the ep was for Artoo.
  • Agree with Techwright that - although Luke's facial expressions were fairly limited - the facial map was a quantum leap ahead of the old version. Quite possibly ILM hired the guys who did the deepfaked version that hit the interwebs shortly afterwards, or at least learned from it.
  • Cad Bane definitely got the entrance he deserved. And while the deathly silence of the desert did work...
    ...yeah, this works too.

Responding and adding additional comments:

Spoiler

-- I may be flat out wrong, I've been so before, but I'm not convinced they're going to fully wrap this thing up in one episode.  I've said it before, but have a growing conviction with each episode that Boba is not in, that this is season 1, so at episode's end we'll likely see a battle or campaign victory, perhaps over the Pykes we've seen planetside, but that a larger war is coming, which will be the focus of a season 2, and possibly some of The Mandalorian season 3.

-- If the show goes Mag 7, I'm not sure whether I'll be surprised or disappointed.  The Seven Samurai has been inspiration to at least two Star Wars episodes in the animated series so far, and a case could be made that it was at least partial inspiration for Rogue One.  I know the current guys at the top of Star Wars and even George himself are big Kurosawa fans, and with good reason, but do they have to repeatedly reference the same work? 

-- Luke might have Grogu leave if the chain mail is selected, but Luke need not be the only teacher in the galaxy.  A handful of names have floated around for a while as Jedi who survived Order 66, or were trained after it (as in the case of Ezra Bridger).  In fact, the showrunners might be playing the long game.  Grogu might return to Din and receive Mandalorian training, but then go to Ezra (assuming Ahoska finds him in her show) and receive training from him.  Ezra was an orphan, spent time with the Mandalorians, one in particular, and is well-acquainted with the Dark Saber.  He may be an unorthodox teacher (we've never seen him knighted, for example) but his experiences may qualify him as a better teacher to Grogu than Luke.

--I don't know about Grogu, but I'd not be surprised to see Luke show up to contribute to the war for Tatooine freedom.  Its his homeworld, and its stability is threatened.  Jedi are supposed to be peacekeepers, and for Luke, this might qualify.

-- The musical score was a very interesting tie-in to watch, even knowing a few video bits were edited out to make it fit.  However, I prefer the silence.  The music practically announces "It's Bane!" to anyone who knows Star Wars music (and several YouTube reactors have an encyclopedic knowledge of even the rarest SW tunes).  With the silence, not only does it build tension, it managed to hide Bane's revelation and puzzle many a bit longer, at least until they could see the distinctive hat or the blue skin.

Re Mr. Vee's comment: often the student trains the master.

Spoiler

Our novice master might wind up having... a teachable moment here.

Jedi are trained to put aside individual connections - but not love. Instead, they are encouraged to show compassion towards all, since they are all one with the force. As a teacher, your own frustration or fear of failure can blind you to that, and push a student where they are not yet ready to go.

(I can attest to that personally.)

Is a toddler - even one that's 50+ years old and with stronger powers than most Jedi could dream of - ready to be a pure-hearted warrior, let alone cast aside memories of one of the few people that's shown him not just care, but love?

Becoming a teacher - and I can also attest to this personally - means working with who and what you have, not what you'd wish for, and discovering what they can do rather than force-moulding them.

Therein lies the challenge.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I just had a thought regarding the big reveal of episode 6.  This will tap into the first season of The Bad Batch as well, so consider yourself warned:

Spoiler

Most of the talk I've seen has focused on either a duel of Cad Bane vs. Boba Fett, or Cad Bane vs. Din Djarin.  But The Bad Batch had something interesting:  Bane was bested by Fennec Shand about 28 years previous to episode 6 in a fight from The Bad Batch episode 9.  I'd be surprised if they didn't cross paths again in live action.    I don't think Fennec will best him a second time, though.  Until the bizzare behavior of the show towards its "main" character, I'd have said Boba will be the one in a showdown with Bane.  Now I don't know.  I do wonder, though, if Bane is going to have an untimely end at the teeth of Boba's new riding mount.

It also occurs to me that Fennec Shand knew Omega.  I'm wondering why she's never discussed Omega with her clone brother Boba.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:20 AM, Mr. Vee said:
  Hide contents

Hopefully because Omega dies horribly in the first 5 minutes of season 2 😛

You surprised me, and that was a good laugh.

Spoiler

You're actually the first person I've encountered who apparently doesn't like Omega.  While she certainly isn't a "Baby Yoda' level of like-ability, I think most have seen her as someone who has lived a sheltered existence, and is still trying to figure out how to live in a jaded rancor-eat-rancor world.

I do think there's something of a parallel story going on with Omega.  Like Grogu, she's being hunted for her valuable DNA.  Of course, the Boba Fett in the era of The Bad Batch equally had valuable DNA, but I think one of the Kaminoans commented that they thought him dead? 

Spoiler

I don't like kids in general, especially not when they're driving trite plots just by getting into trouble. Their way of portraying her sheltered existence seems to be that they can't decide if she's 2 or 15. Bad Batch was just generally halfassed, but having half the plots feel like a babysitting episode of an 80s sitcom certainly didn't help.

So, our grand finale:

Spoiler

Some of our predictions came true, others didn't...

• Grogu chose Dad over the lure of power. Which, to my mind, will make him the better Jedi... when he's ready. Let the kid be a kid for a while.
  • ...that said, using him as your get-out-of-Rancor free card twice in an episode is getting repetitive.
  • I was disappointed the Rule Of Cool didn't kick in at that point: Boba, on a tower, on a Rancor, so the whole damn city can see who's boss.
  • But what Auntie doesn't love naptime?
  • Surprise Mid-Mission Elite Boss Fights: well, we're familiar with those around here. Felt very, very videogame-inspired, down to a vulnerable shield conveniently lighting up red. [scribbles furiously on Post-It and slaps inside Evil Robot UX Consultancy manila folder]
  • On that note: how do you carefully count the number of Pyke goons arriving on every flight and miss their seriously overweight luggage? It's not like those two would fit in an overhead bin...
  • Sad to see Cad bite the sand. Favreau & Filoni had to sacrifice someone major or there would have been no consequences. I am surprised it was him, though. 
  • Did Fennec get stuck in traffic or something?
  • Liked the genuine leave-em-laughing ending... and I have to do something similar IRL now.*
  • ...though honestly not sure the mid-credits scene (between the character posters and "major" credits and the full credits) was necessary.
    Maybe the test audience reaction warranted it. Again, driving plot and character requires consequences and killing your darlings: which, oddly, the normally rez-happy Marvel Studios are currently fine to do.
  • For Season 2: Boba seems ready to settle in. Temeura's idea about going after Mace Windu sounds fun, and I'm sure Samuel L Jackson would be down for it. According to the official timeline it's only been 30 years since the two first met. 

Overall: glitchy but I liked it.

*D-Mode > Sport Mode. Every time. Tough life being an Auntie.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

16 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

So, our grand finale:  (Techwright's responses in orange)

Hide contents

Some of our predictions came true, others didn't...

• Grogu chose Dad over the lure of power. Which, to my mind, will make him the better Jedi... when he's ready. Let the kid be a kid for a while.  Agreed, though I do wonder if Luke's comment about letting emotions ties causing problems for a force users might be a plot point in the next season of Mando.  It's practically a smoking Chekov's gun.
  • ...that said, using him as your get-out-of-Rancor free card twice in an episode is getting repetitive.  And by "Rancor" you mean Grogu taking on both a killer giant robot and a rancor?  Because I only recall one interaction between rancor and Bright Eyes.
  • I was disappointed the Rule Of Cool didn't kick in at that point: Boba, on a tower, on a Rancor, so the whole damn city can see who's boss.  That would have been sweet, but many did see him riding it, and they certainly saw him as boss in the aftermath.
  • But what Auntie doesn't love naptime?
  • Surprise Mid-Mission Elite Boss Fights: well, we're familiar with those around here. Felt very, very videogame-inspired, down to a vulnerable shield conveniently lighting up red. [scribbles furiously on Post-It and slaps inside Evil Robot UX Consultancy manila folder]
  • On that note: how do you carefully count the number of Pyke goons arriving on every flight and miss their seriously overweight luggage? It's not like those two would fit in an overhead bin...  I'm actually surprised they had the Pykes arriving by public shuttle.  Private ship would have been less conspicuous, and smuggler ship arrival in the desert even more so.  I'm guessing its easy enough to say the droid parts were smuggled in, or channeled through the three houses, etc. 
  • Sad to see Cad bite the sand. Favreau & Filoni had to sacrifice someone major or there would have been no consequences. I am surprised it was him, though.   Did he bite it entirely though?  Bane, like Boba, is a survivor.  His cybernetic prove it.  It's said the cybernetic tubing was a precaution against force choking.  If he goes to those lengths to prevent a force choke, what might that lone beeping/flashing cybernetic light suggest?
  • Did Fennec get stuck in traffic or something?  Not stuck in traffic, biking to another city entirely.  The gang heads were all holed up in Mos Eisley, not Mos Espa where the main fighting was.  They were in the same building Boba visited in Mos Eisley right before his tribal family was slaughtered.
  • Liked the genuine leave-em-laughing ending... and I have to do something similar IRL now.*  Dad used to get us wound up by sudden accelerations at the top of hills on back roads.  The roller coaster effect on our stomachs had us laughing and begging for me.  I can genuinely relate to the kid.
  • ...though honestly not sure the mid-credits scene (between the character posters and "major" credits and the full credits) was necessary.
    Maybe the test audience reaction warranted it. Again, driving plot and character requires consequences and killing your darlings: which, oddly, the normally rez-happy Marvel Studios are currently fine to do.  I'd say losing body parts to be permanently replaced by droid parts counts as consequences, especially when you weren't intending to end up that way. 
  • For Season 2: Boba seems ready to settle in. Temeura's idea about going after Mace Windu sounds fun, and I'm sure Samuel L Jackson would be down for it. According to the official timeline it's only been 30 years since the two first met.   While bringing SLJ back as Windu sounds fun, didn't you literally just comment on driving plot with killing your darlings?  We've already twice had falls in Star Wars that were survived under disastrously lethal conditions:  Maul and Palpatine.  Do we really want a third?  Well okay, "consequences" it is..again.  At least a pursuit of Mace Windu should get us off Tatooine.  Star Wars could stand a change of scenery from desert planets.  I suggest having Windu hide out either on Kashyyyk or the Moon of Endor: some nice forested rock. 

I thought it was a great episode and the best one with Boba in it.  (Oh dear, is that a spoiler?) 😉

Spoiler

What I liked:

• The kaiju fight between rancor and robots.  (Yes I know they're droids)  Someone did a good job reinterpreting rancor as fast moving monsters.  Perhaps it was the limitations of stop-motion work, but the Rancor were previously only seen as lumbering.
  • Fennec showing just how quick, efficient, and lethal she can be.
  • A solid fight with Boba in it.
  • Finally, an explanation for keeping the head-tailed sycophant around in the saga.  He made an excellent distraction.
  • Really good physical acting by the stunt actor playing Cad Bane.  Of course Corey Burton was excellent, as always, voicing Bane, but the stunt actor sold the audience on the character's menace and intimidation.
  • Showing actual growth in the kid, both confidence and powers.
  • A single red button still beeping/flashing.

What I didn't care for:

• The Mods always being given silly stuff to fight with.  I swear that girl's weapon was only a tad bigger than a Noisy Cricket, and less than a 10th as dangerous.They may have come in from the street that way, but they really should have been given more serious firepower from the palace arsenal.  And you know they have an arsenal, too. We just recently saw Fennec and Boba have to fight their way out of the palace not too many weeks before.
  • Pykes sticking around to fight a rancor.  I'm not even from that galaxy, and even I know better than to stand there trying to kill a rancor.  Viewing-wise it wasn't fun because it was a clear telegraph of what was about to happen to the Pykes.

What I'd like to see:

• Have Fennec Shand train the Mod Squad to improve their fighting worth, and get them better weapons already!
  • Replacements for the Gammorean Guards.  I think it'd be a funny joke if they brought in the same two actors, had them wear the same costumes, but portray them as different Gammoreans.

What I discovered: 

• The stunt actor providing the body for Cad Bane is apparently Dorian Kingi.  His name is not yet in the show's listing on IMDB.   Dorian is the son of actress Lindsay Wagner of The Bionic Woman fame.

Edited by Techwright

Reply to m'learned coll Techwright:

Spoiler
  • Killing your darlings when scripting is the right thing to do. I agree that Windu was one of the first to fall when Palpatine rose: even if he survived both a fully unleashed Darth Sidious and Order 66, as a senior figure in the Jedi Council he would have been a prime target for the Empire's hunters... like Boba, and/or Cad Bane. He also doesn't seem the type to hide when there's a Rebellion to lead. I dislike flashbacks, but Rule Of Cool still wins here.

• On the public transport note: one of the things we've seen in Mando and now Boba/Mando 2.5 is that the New Republic are using bored and trigger-happy X-Wing pilots as traffic cops. Unlike the Empire, they're also quite good at it. Space may be big, but there's not much in it to confuse radar, and even less that looks and moves like a starship without valid plates and a beacon. Same as ocean smuggling in the days of satellites, databases and advanced radar/lidar: even cloning another ship's papers doesn't work any more. If you can move what you need to on scheduled flights or as part of larger cargoes, that's going to attract less attention.

• That also cues up a possible new antagonist for S2: as the New Republic starts to flex its muscle and control, a gang-run world - even a fairly polite one - seems like someone's going to try and deal with it at some point. Especially if who's running it happens to be a famous former tool of the Empire.

• Rancor as a terror weapon: the point of that kind of thing is to confuse and awe opponents, and inspire a fight or flight reaction. Some  run for it. Those who keep their minds tend to withdraw and regroup. Others will try and attack blindly, and wind up as cannon fodder and/or a light lunch. It happens.

• Fennec and Babygoth sounds like a fun team. Derringers are concealable but no damn good in a prolonged firefight: but Fennec could show her plenty more options.

• Pelle / Amy Sedaris seems like a good series regular for Mando, if he decides that Tatooine is a good home base or gets hold of a larger ships.

All in all, even though some of it's been a little clunky, I have loved - both as an occasional writer and a full-time nerd - watching Filoni, Favreau, the marvellous Miss Howard, Rodriguez and Waititi, all taking George's pristine 1977 figures out of their box, putting them in a sandbox and playing with them. Star Wars is alive and growing again, and a new generation is coming to those stories.

Spoiler

Fennec had to go from Mos Vespa to Mos Eisley - a whole other city.  She got there very quickly.

The episode was good and fun.  It had a lot of good action and brought in a lot of elements from past episodes.

But it does show repeatedly how dumb star wars combat is.  People just stand in the street with no cover and shoot at each other, missing at short range.  The defenders all bunch up behind one piece of cover.  I just have to turn my brain off when a fight starts in Star Wars.

10 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Reply to m'learned coll Techwright:  (Learned coll's response in orange)

Hide contents
  • Killing your darlings when scripting is the right thing to do. I agree that Windu was one of the first to fall when Palpatine rose: even if he survived both a fully unleashed Darth Sidious and Order 66, as a senior figure in the Jedi Council he would have been a prime target for the Empire's hunters... like Boba, and/or Cad Bane. He also doesn't seem the type to hide when there's a Rebellion to lead. I dislike flashbacks, but Rule Of Cool still wins here.  Well, accepting the scenario where Windu is alive, I agree he wouldn't hide but lead.  So perhaps his fall resulted in amnesia (while it should have resulted in a crushed cranium, but I digress). He might even be found this way, but have traces of his old self through which he gradually regains who and what he was, much like the clone Gregor in The Clone Wars.
  • While I'm at this point, might I ask why flashbacks are disliked?  I've seen a lot of chatter towards this end recently, not just you but several others.  It really puzzles me, as I've never seen this level of dislike, even loathing by some, for what is considered an established storytelling method from time immemorial.

• On the public transport note: one of the things we've seen in Mando and now Boba/Mando 2.5 is that the New Republic are using bored and trigger-happy X-Wing pilots as traffic cops. Unlike the Empire, they're also quite good at it. Space may be big, but there's not much in it to confuse radar, and even less that looks and moves like a starship without valid plates and a beacon. Same as ocean smuggling in the days of satellites, databases and advanced radar/lidar: even cloning another ship's papers doesn't work any more. If you can move what you need to on scheduled flights or as part of larger cargoes, that's going to attract less attention.  Okay, that's a fair point, and as I like the Republic, I can get behind the idea that they're trying really hard to be efficient and effective.

• That also cues up a possible new antagonist for S2: as the New Republic starts to flex its muscle and control, a gang-run world - even a fairly polite one - seems like someone's going to try and deal with it at some point. Especially if who's running it happens to be a famous former tool of the Empire.  So glad you said "antagonist" and not "enemy" as many would say.  It's clear you are a writer.  It is an intriguing idea where perhaps the New Republic overreaches in its well-meaning effort.

• Rancor as a terror weapon: the point of that kind of thing is to confuse and awe opponents, and inspire a fight or flight reaction. Some  run for it. Those who keep their minds tend to withdraw and regroup. Others will try and attack blindly, and wind up as cannon fodder and/or a light lunch. It happens.  This isn't the way.   Well, it in essence refines the gene pool, so perhaps it is.

• Fennec and Babygoth sounds like a fun team. Derringers are concealable but no damn good in a prolonged firefight: but Fennec could show her plenty more options. Cyber Sisters teaming with Beskar Bros? I'm down for it.   Actually, if Boba has deep pockets, get the Mods some built in weapons.  Get a serious blaster in that cyber-forearm.

• Pelle / Amy Sedaris seems like a good series regular for Mando, if he decides that Tatooine is a good home base or gets hold of a larger ships.  He really needs to get larger ships to haul bounties.  You'll likely recall that he offered an engineer's post to the Kuiil the Ugnaught.  I agree with you and could definitely see Pelle getting the engineer's role, but whether she'd ride shotgun or not is another story.  While it is practical to have your engineer with you, she's never been offworld, which might make for a good story plot in and of itself, but she also likely has the storage at Mos Eisley to store a second ship, allowing Din Djarin to switch to whichever ship best fills the role at the time, while allowing Pelle to repair/tune up the other.  I don't think she'd leave her droids behind either.

All in all, even though some of it's been a little clunky, I have loved - both as an occasional writer and a full-time nerd - watching Filoni, Favreau, the marvellous Miss Howard, Rodriguez and Waititi, all taking George's pristine 1977 figures out of their box, putting them in a sandbox and playing with them. Star Wars is alive and growing again, and a new generation is coming to those stories.  I must agree.  Even the slower parts of Book of Boba Fett were more interesting than much of the Sequel Trilogy.  Additionally, giving so many experience in producing Star Wars correctly lends hope to it being done properly for years if not decades to come.

Leaving first reply open: I dislike flashbacks because they disrupt the flow of a story, and at worst they fall prey to lazy writing - whenever you want to fill in someone's backstory, just warp back in time. BOBF was skating close to that sometimes, though it was mostly interesting stuff: as a show where Bob is reflecting on his life and slightly softening outlook on the worlds, it also kinda sorta makes sense. Just a lot of it. The worst recent offender being Witcher S1, which they had the good sense to nod at in S2 and promise to never do again.

On with the wild speculation and whinging...

Spoiler
  • A S2 with a vengeful, perhaps slightly Walter Peck-ish character raining on Boba's parade has a lot of possibilities. The Empire were nothing if not practical when dealing with crime lords: the Republic is more... idealist. Examples Must Be Made...
  • Antagonists aren't necessarily bad people. Some of them are very, very good people. And more than a few bad guys are good by their own lights.
  • I like rogues, and I like writing for them. They're a lot more fun than out-and-out heroes, they can be less predictable, and rack up friends and enemies on both sides of the law. Boba has moved from Villain to Rogue in this series. I doubt he'd ever go full Hero - and if he did, he might not be believed.
  • As a new dad, Mando has weirdly gone from a minivan to a classic sportster, and is rapidly going to find that impractical. I mean, I don't know what kind of toys Grogu needs, but there's no boot space on that thing. 
    [blink]
    ...ya gotta wonder... and this would be very, very Rule Of Cool,so if Filoni is listening...
    If, for example, Mando left his starfighter behind to go on a group gig, but things go A-over-T and he needs to get offworld in a hurry.
    So he just runs to the nearest docking bay and hotwires the first thing that can fly.
    Would a knackered old YT-1300 freighter with more blaster burns than a Stormtrooper's underwear (and some sweet aftermarket mods) be something Pelle could work with?
  • Or is that just too much fanservice? Is there such a thing?

Spoiler

Even the slower parts of Book of Boba Fett were more interesting than much of the Sequel Trilogy.

Made me laugh. I agree I'd rather watch Boba saunter through the desert on a bantha yet again (because there may still be someone out there who's unconvinced that banthas are slow) than ever have to see those dumpster fires again. But I'd never say the sequels were uninteresting, as they were very interesting case studies in collective psychosis.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:20 AM, Mr. Vee said:
  Hide contents

Hopefully because Omega dies horribly in the first 5 minutes of season 2 😛

You know.... a lot of people said that about Ashoka Tano, too.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 2/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Leaving first reply open: I dislike flashbacks because they disrupt the flow of a story, and at worst they fall prey to lazy writing - whenever you want to fill in someone's backstory, just warp back in time. BOBF was skating close to that sometimes, though it was mostly interesting stuff: as a show where Bob is reflecting on his life and slightly softening outlook on the worlds, it also kinda sorta makes sense. Just a lot of it. The worst recent offender being Witcher S1, which they had the good sense to nod at in S2 and promise to never do again.

On with the wild speculation and whinging...

Thanks for the clarification on the topic of flashbacks.  While they are fine to me, it is good to know the other perspective.

My comments in orange again on the hidden stuff:

Hide contents
  • A S2 with a vengeful, perhaps slightly Walter Peck-ish character raining on Boba's parade has a lot of possibilities. The Empire were nothing if not practical when dealing with crime lords: the Republic is more... idealist. Examples Must Be Made...  I remain open to the storytelling possibility, but I don't really want to see the New Republic in a bad light.  I'd prefer to see it as hopeful, and trying to correct the mistakes that brought down the Republic.  Of course, if they stick to the Sequel Trilogy, it will have to eventually show a major gap in its intelligence network.  That actually could be story material: part of the First Order is a massive infiltration of the New Republic intelligence and media groups, making sure the New Republic remains largely unaware of the threat's potential.
  • Antagonists aren't necessarily bad people. Some of them are very, very good people. And more than a few bad guys are good by their own lights.
  • I like rogues, and I like writing for them. They're a lot more fun than out-and-out heroes, they can be less predictable, and rack up friends and enemies on both sides of the law. Boba has moved from Villain to Rogue in this series. I doubt he'd ever go full Hero - and if he did, he might not be believed.  Agreed, Boba should always be able to act independently and to extreme if necessary, though I could see him moving up to vigilante status, to use the game's structure to describe it.
  • As a new dad, Mando has weirdly gone from a minivan to a classic sportster, and is rapidly going to find that impractical. I mean, I don't know what kind of toys Grogu needs, but there's no boot space on that thing.  Love the comparison!  To extend it a bit, the Naboo starfighter is his mid-life crisis.  I do wonder if the practical needs are going to start screaming at him and he'll rent parking space from Pelle or Boba and keep a small selection of craft appropriate to specific situations.
    [blink]
    ...ya gotta wonder... and this would be very, very Rule Of Cool,so if Filoni is listening...
    If, for example, Mando left his starfighter behind to go on a group gig, but things go A-over-T and he needs to get offworld in a hurry.
    So he just runs to the nearest docking bay and hotwires the first thing that can fly.
    Would a knackered old YT-1300 freighter with more blaster burns than a Stormtrooper's underwear (and some sweet aftermarket mods) be something Pelle could work with?
  • Or is that just too much fanservice? Is there such a thing?  Probably too much, but I'd be down for it.  After all, we don't know where that, ahem, YT-1300 has been for a while before ending up parked in a desert.  And it would easily serve as home and storage.  I wonder if it has an aversion to carbon frozen storage?
  •  

• 1 year later

Resurrecting this thread to ask a simple question:  Has anyone got solid confirmation that The Book of Boba Fett season 2 is moving forward?  I've only found a smattering of rumors that the show possibly started work on season 2 quietly and mostly seeing comments suggesting they've not even started.  None that I've read suggest that it's been cancelled, but it's sibling Star Wars productions tend to move forward by 6 months of the season ending, if not sooner.

Yes, season 1 had some tremendous flaws, and people seem to remember them first, but it also had some great material as well.  I see it as fixable in a season 2.  If the delay is due to putting more effort into the script, I'm all for it (though I hate that the writers' strike will push it back even more).   I think I'm most concerned that the financial shakeup at Disney might mean the axe for this.  If they're headed that way, I'd prefer at least a season 2 to repair the damage. 

• 3 weeks later

Mostly rumours at this point, but there is not a new BoBF on the production slate for 2023.

• Disney is moving $ away from new D+ content for a while as Bob Iger reconstructs the business - and rather than trying for a pure-volume, all-things-to-all fans play, shrink down the number of productions and shows on offer to a dedicated fanbase. That kind of approach hasn't hurt Paramount too badly.
  • Kathleen announced three new proper movies at Celebration. Two I'm not sure about - one from oh-look-its-a-celebrated-indie-director-being-thrown-at-a-franchise Sharmeen Oba id-Chinoy that should close out Rey's story, Dial Of Destiny's James Mangold going back to the Old Republic - or possibly beyond, at the very dawn of the Jedi era...
  • ...and the Dave Filoni movie, which should tie up all the threads and characters from his New Republic adventure - including Boba, Mando, possibly Ahsoka and the Rebels crew, and a few more.

Side note: still gutted that Rogue Squadron isn't happening. Top Gun In Spaaaaace... c'mon, Bob, doesn't that sound like something you wanna make?

2 hours ago, Panache said:

"Dial of Destiny's James Mangold" is like when South Park only referred to Spielberg as the director of 1941 and Always, lol. Poor Jimmy.

In Whollyodd, you're only as good as your last movie, kid.

Heh. Unfortunately it is true, to an extent: even Spielberg considered retiring after two box office duds in a row (West Side Story and The Fabelmans), because suddenly doors started closing to the Great Bearded One.

There are notable exceptions. Producers still have faith that M. Night Shyalaman will, someday, make another great movie.

(And, let's be fair, Knock At The Cabin had touches of greatness, particularly Big Dave, but just couldn't stick the landing.)

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

There are notable exceptions. Producers still have faith that M. Night Shyalaman will, someday, make another great movie.

But will the resolution involve WATER and will there be a twist ending?

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

4 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Heh. Unfortunately it is true, to an extent: even Spielberg considered retiring after two box office duds in a row (West Side Story and The Fabelmans), because suddenly doors started closing to the Great Bearded One.

(And, let's be fair, Knock At The Cabin had touches of greatness, particularly Big Dave, but just couldn't stick the landing.)

Shyalaman's an easy but inconvenient example; that dude has been pretty famously self-financing his movies for a while now. 

I'm not sure that Spielberg (or Scorcese for that matter; The Irishman was a tough watch) losing his fastball means he'll stop finding willing partners, but I'd imagine any difficulties they might run into are because studios are increasingly narrowing down to pre-existing IP tentpoles. Not that Spielberg hasn't gone down that route himself (to kinda janky results).

Edited by Panache