Can We Stop Dogpiling, Please?

The idea of "maybe tell the person with incredibly galaxy-brained suggestions a long and detailed explanation why it's a bad thing" reeks to me of "good people on both sides"-ism. 

Sometimes a really fucking legendary moronic idea is just that, and "no" is a perfectly good reaction. I have a burden to explain to the tiny proto-adults in my house why touching the lit stove burner is bad, not grown ass adults. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 hour ago, Aurora_Girl said:

The idea of "maybe tell the person with incredibly galaxy-brained suggestions a long and detailed explanation why it's a bad thing" reeks to me of "good people on both sides"-ism. 

Sometimes a really fucking legendary moronic idea is just that, and "no" is a perfectly good reaction. I have a burden to explain to the tiny proto-adults in my house why touching the lit stove burner is bad, not grown ass adults. 

I dunno.... seems to me that the difference between "No" and "No, this just sucks" is still relevant and worth taking the time to type.

(Ok I'll stop now)

• City Council
13 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

It's okay to not reply to a thread you don't like.  It can quietly disappear in to the bowels of the archives.

I keep meaning to reply to this thread, but really, anything I say will just boil down to this. Just don't engage! It's not worth your time!

9 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Personally I don't mind the "forums cops" confronting me.

What I do hate is when someone gets mad because I shut down their argument, so they log out of their personal account and into their mod account so that they can mod-smack me. It's one thing to get mod-smacked because I got a little heated and stepped over the line, it's a completely different thing to get mod-smacked because the other person's ego is stinging because you took their argument apart.

And do not waste my time telling me that this doesn't happen on this forum. I've been shown screenshots proving that it does and has happened.

We take all reports of GM misconduct seriously. Please feel free to PM me your concerns.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

5 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

I dunno.... seems to me that the difference between "No" and "No, this just sucks" is still relevant and worth taking the time to type.

(Ok I'll stop now)

those . . . don't seem all that different. And the second one actually sounds worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, GM Widower said:

We take all reports of GM misconduct seriously. Please feel free to PM me your concerns.

Riiiiight.

That's why it keeps happening and when I've tried PMing the GM's before you all refused to even respond to my PMs.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Any forum means lots of people, lots of preconceived notions, lots of different ways of thinking; and lots of different automatic responses to things.

But CoH also has a MASSIVE gulf in "experience" and "conventional wisdom" between the folks that have been around since beta and those that've just turned up post-shutdown... even leaving aside how active you were on the old message boards.

If I see someone with questions or the wrong idea about things then I'll usually try to type up something if I have a few minutes to spare.
Sometimes they listen.
Sometimes they don't.
Sometimes another person even adds something else that's worth me paying heed to.
Often it's not even about having the discussion with the OP as much as leaving a bit of helpful advice for the next person who has a similar query and comes across the thread in a forum search.

I've been accused of many things on various forums over the years, occasionally including patience/helpfulness. But I currently have a 12 month old and honestly I've noticed that there are a lot of "transferable skills" involved. There exists another human being who doesn't think the same way you do, who desperately wants something, and who is having trouble communicating clearly. Your end goal is obviously learning and enlightenment and happy coexistence... but first you'd better be prepared to deal with incoherent arguments, unintelligible screaming, tantrums, being totally ignored and/or getting half-eaten chunks of banana thrown at you.

Although I used to work in tech support, so I've had much worse things thrown at me over the years.

(Unfortunately I was born in the very early '80s so I can't claim either millennialship or boomerdom. My memories of the year 2000 are also rather hazy. I vaguely remember there being rather a lot of fireworks and alcohol, but not quite as many computers exploding as people had expected...)

Edited by Maelwys
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Maelwys said:

Although I used to work in tech support, so I've had much worse things thrown at me over the years.

As someone who has worked IT External/Internal Helpdesk, as a Business Analyst, as a QA and QA Lead, you get used to having to dodge and weave as folks miss the bullseye. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

As someone who has worked IT External/Internal Helpdesk, as a Business Analyst, as a QA and QA Lead, you get used to having to dodge and weave as folks miss the bullseye. 😛 

The best (worst?) I've personally experienced was a Laserjet Printer. One of the old indestructible cube-shaped HP Monstrosities (I want to say "4200n"?)
Technically it wasn't directly aimed at me, but I still had to dodge it. And so did the temp agency guy who was just arriving to the IT office on their 1st day of work as it hurtled past the doorway just a few inches from their face (not exaggerating/joking even a little bit!)

That wasn't the first time our IT Manager had a bad phonecall with a particular Board Member and it wouldn't be the last; but we did make a point afterwards of keeping the pile of old decommisioned equipment further away from his side of the room... :classic_laugh:

(These days I'm CyberSecurity... so I regularly get to scare/annoy the bejeepers out of board members. Turnabout is fair play indeed!)

Edited by Maelwys
  • Haha 2

On 11/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, Haijinx said:

Jranger is a lot nicer than saying "No, because that Idea is stupid" 

Sorry to say it...well, no, I'm not sorry - but if I came up with what I thought was a decent idea (that wasn't), and you said "Jranger"...I'd have ZERO idea what that would mean. 

Maybe it's just me, but if you don't like an idea, there's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't like it" or "I don't like it because this, this and that". 

Saying "Jranger" communicates nothing to me, other than I'm too old or too young, or have been quarantined too damn long to have a clue what that means. 
And I don't know who Brandon is, either. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Ukase said:

And I don't know who Brandon is, either. 

Who the hell is Brandon?

I mean /jranger actually comes from the original CoH boards, so I get why people use it and whatever. Not my style, even if I do indulge in silly meme-ery from time to time.

But now we're supposed to some person named Brandon?

Nope. Too Far, Internet, Too Far. 😛

• Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

7 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

I mean /jranger actually comes from the original CoH boards

I was a routine user of the forums from issue 4 or 5. I have no recollection of this. But, I guess that's certainly plausible. What does it mean or imply? 

6 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I was a routine user of the forums from issue 4 or 5. I have no recollection of this. But, I guess that's certainly plausible. What does it mean or imply? 

It's a way of saying "No." without offering explanation. Is as much a part of the old boards as Strong And Pretty.  I was an on/off player from launch until late 2011 or so, it was definitely a thing, but I also enjoy forums and probably spend too much time on them. 🤣

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%2Fjranger

I take exception to the definition, because any given idea to which someone might use /jranger is not automatically "Dumb," just one that the /jranger user thinks is such - accurately or not.

Depending on how one feels about such things, it is either a bit of nostalgic humor or an act of toxic meme-ery.  Or something in between.  Me? Meh?  The internet is the internet and things like /jranger happen. When I see someone using it frequently, especially in threads where an idea merits more discussion I tend to start skimming past their content rather than reading it.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

If everyone put as much energy into replying to good and positive threads as they did into obsessing over drama threads then this forum would be better.

I posted about my positive experiences with the graveyard shift story arc not long ago, thanking the devs and talking about how good it was, but no one replied to join in the discussion, other than @Snarky (somewhat ironically given his name!!). 

I feel like this forum might unfortunately be moving towards a personality war zone, and I care not for this type of thing. This thread should be locked now and the others where it has descended into this type of farce should also be locked.

• Thumbs Up 2

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone